NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kawhi Leonard 2017-2018 Season Outlook

8 hours ago, kobebryant24 said:

soooo u think hes coming soon or na?

As long as they are winning, I don't think he is coming back soon. Please remember, I am not trying to be right or trying to convince anyone of anything....I am just providing the logic behind my thought that Kawhi takes a while to return. Here are some of the bullet points:

1. Playoff seeding means almost nothing. The road to the Finals goes through GS with GS having home court advantage. Health and vibes will matter more than seeding.

2. I posted earlier in the thread about the Spurs schedule being very soft into mid-December. Very soft. I expect they can win 60% of games into mid-Dec.

3. LMA re-upped. Kawhi alone can't win a championship. Kawhi is a team first player. Kawhi can integrate into any offense and adapt (I truly believe that). The more the Spurs get LMA thriving in an offensive system the better it is for the playoffs. Then Kawhi can integrate and LMA and Kawhi can be a 1-2 combo.

4. Look at Danny Green. Performing at a level (albeit a small sample size) that we haven't seen since pre-Kawhi offensive superstar. Kind of thinking along the same lines as LMA, get Danny Green confident and clicking and it is just one more weapon for when they integrate Kawhi. 

5. Rudy Gay seems forgotten. Along the same lines as Green and LMA, the longer Kawhi is out the more usage and focus the Spurs can give Gay to get comfortable with the offensive system. 

6. Kawhi will play defense. That is a given. But damn, Murray and Green are long and skilled on the defensive end. As Kawhi sits out games every other defender is in the spotlight. This will only make them better as a team defense. Again, Kawhi can integrate seamlessly into any defensive system. 

7. This is probably the most important for me. If you know you are making the playoffs, and you know seeding isn't a factor, then the priorities are clicking as a team entering the playoffs and being healthy. Kawhi after a 75 game grind is less fresh than a 60 game grind, which is less fresh than Kawhi after a 40 game grind. If you have your best player fresher than your opponents best players, that is a comparative advantage. This only applies as long as the Spurs have a good vibe and are clicking into the playoffs.

8. COUNTER POINT....all of my logic is based on the Spurs making the playoffs. If they are not winning, then Kawhi is coming back sooner to get them into the playoffs. All of the rest/shortening of the season for Kawhi is a luxury that will be taken away if they lose. 

That's the cliffnote version of my stance of the situation. It is up to you to decide what is soft, what is a stretch, and what you agree with. Open to hearing other points of view with the logic supporting them. Opinions like "I got him for a steal in the second round and I think he is coming back in a week" mean almost nothing aside from knowing the mental state of his owners if you want to exploit that in trades, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw like 10 new posts in the Kawhi thread and got excited....   10 minutes later and 50 IQ points lower, retreated back into the dark corner of the Kawhi pity party.      

I drafted kawhii, cp3 and hayward Moment of silence for me please

Mannnnn he needs to invest in one of these:   HOT TAKE: It may be a while til we see him on the court.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Vman7 said:

Yup, I’ve been rooting my heart out for the Spurs to lose for this vey reason. So far to no avail. Best chance for Leonard to get back on the court is for the Spurs to go on a three game losing streak.

doesnt matter if they lose 10 in a row... if he isnt 100% he wont play

18 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

Yikes. Clear as Mud. :lol:

• Like 2
7 hours ago, thezing1 said:

As long as they are winning, I don't think he is coming back soon. Please remember, I am not trying to be right or trying to convince anyone of anything....I am just providing the logic behind my thought that Kawhi takes a while to return. Here are some of the bullet points:

1. Playoff seeding means almost nothing. The road to the Finals goes through GS with GS having home court advantage. Health and vibes will matter more than seeding.

2. I posted earlier in the thread about the Spurs schedule being very soft into mid-December. Very soft. I expect they can win 60% of games into mid-Dec.

3. LMA re-upped. Kawhi alone can't win a championship. Kawhi is a team first player. Kawhi can integrate into any offense and adapt (I truly believe that). The more the Spurs get LMA thriving in an offensive system the better it is for the playoffs. Then Kawhi can integrate and LMA and Kawhi can be a 1-2 combo.

4. Look at Danny Green. Performing at a level (albeit a small sample size) that we haven't seen since pre-Kawhi offensive superstar. Kind of thinking along the same lines as LMA, get Danny Green confident and clicking and it is just one more weapon for when they integrate Kawhi. 

5. Rudy Gay seems forgotten. Along the same lines as Green and LMA, the longer Kawhi is out the more usage and focus the Spurs can give Gay to get comfortable with the offensive system. 

6. Kawhi will play defense. That is a given. But damn, Murray and Green are long and skilled on the defensive end. As Kawhi sits out games every other defender is in the spotlight. This will only make them better as a team defense. Again, Kawhi can integrate seamlessly into any defensive system. 

7. This is probably the most important for me. If you know you are making the playoffs, and you know seeding isn't a factor, then the priorities are clicking as a team entering the playoffs and being healthy. Kawhi after a 75 game grind is less fresh than a 60 game grind, which is less fresh than Kawhi after a 40 game grind. If you have your best player fresher than your opponents best players, that is a comparative advantage. This only applies as long as the Spurs have a good vibe and are clicking into the playoffs.

8. COUNTER POINT....all of my logic is based on the Spurs making the playoffs. If they are not winning, then Kawhi is coming back sooner to get them into the playoffs. All of the rest/shortening of the season for Kawhi is a luxury that will be taken away if they lose. 

That's the cliffnote version of my stance of the situation. It is up to you to decide what is soft, what is a stretch, and what you agree with. Open to hearing other points of view with the logic supporting them. Opinions like "I got him for a steal in the second round and I think he is coming back in a week" mean almost nothing aside from knowing the mental state of his owners if you want to exploit that in trades, etc. 

I mean he's a professional athlete and a competitor, he'll want to be on the court. I suspect he'll be back when he's ready.

I mean you could argue the same thing for GSW right. Dray had a minor knee injury, they could have rested him for 4 months and had him fresh for the finals. But he's fit so he's playing.

Edited by Whos_House

Fighting with all My power to not send an offer for him with second rounders and send My fantasy season down the toilet If he’s out til’ january...but some weird feeling is telling me he’ll just return outta Nowhere in the middle of november.

Any of you owners selling in your leagues?

Has he practiced at all yet? If he hasn't practiced in some fashiong, he's not really close. No matter how in shape a player is, he would need at least a practice or 2 before hand to get into the speed of the game and his legs back.  Its also somewhat interesting that they are sending Parker down to the G League to rehab. I wonder if they would do the same thing with Kawahi.

I heard on sports radio (San Antonio) talking to one of the doctors that has sources in the Spurs. He said the feeling within the organization is that "Kawhi has to be better at playing through pain". Don't know what to take from that if anything but it's interesting to hear that put out there publicly

17 hours ago, Whos_House said:

I mean he's a professional athlete and a competitor, he'll want to be on the court. I suspect he'll be back when he's ready.

I mean you could argue the same thing for GSW right. Dray had a minor knee injury, they could have rested him for 4 months and had him fresh for the finals. But he's fit so he's playing.

Of course you can argue anything, right? I don't think I ever said he wouldn't be back when he is ready, but with this injury rest is the medicine, so what I am trying to say can be a bit confusing. If you can afford more rest, it just increases the chances that when you go to test the injury it responds positively. Does that make sense? You will never know if there was enough rest until they test it, and if you test it too early and it doesn't respond positively then you go back to step one. It is just a tricky injury. It isn't like a bone break that heals completely and can be seen on an x-ray. 

GSW and SAS are a bit different in their stages of team development. GSW are a well oiled machine. Continuity with the roster, roles, schemes and all of the players with significant roles are in their primes. SAS is a bit different. They are still evolving and trying to grow and develop their roles. LMA, Gay, Green, Murray can all take their games to another level and more importantly their confidence can grow by getting more opportunities to shine while Kawhi is out. Gay and Murray are basically being integrated into the system. I am sure the system has evolved to feature LMA more than previous year. It isn't like the Warriors need one of the big 4 to sit so the other ones can gain confidence....they are already the champs and confident. But of course, you can lay out the argument for anything. 

41 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

I just got him for Beal. Thank you Spurs organization for the uncertainty you have created. There is really no way to tell what is a fair offer and what is not... 

It’s like playing roulette, really. Either we (buyers that are getting him cheap) hit the jackpot and win our leagues or it all goes down the drain.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, screaming_vultures said:

I just got him for Beal. Thank you Spurs organization for the uncertainty you have created. There is really no way to tell what is a fair offer and what is not... 

that's funny i just traded him FOR beal, i had leonard and paul with no IR and only 3 bench spots lol

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Faber said:

I've just proposed Millsap + Jaylen Brown for him and the guy accepted. 

Shocking! 

I hope others owner will not vetoed it..

I am speechless , I am without speech ....

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Vman7 said:

Spurs getting blown out = Leonard a step closer to his return.  

Three game losing streak would seal the deal. Pop and the Spurs are playing games. 

god I hope you're right

this whole "no timetable " is some BS