NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Ivory 2017 Outlook

Am I crazy to think this guy is one of the top handcuffs to own right now (in deeper leagues at least)?  The Jags seem like they really want to commit to the run and ball control, as evidenced by the heavy workload to Fournette.  Ivory himself has been fairly involved for a back-up, with 15 carries and 4 receptions through 2 weeks.  He also quietly has a better YPC and YPR than Fournette, so he has been effective in his more limited role.

Even last year he averaged an OK 4 YPC, and that was behind a worse O-line in an offense that was much less committed to the run than they are now.  You have to think if Fournette were to go down, Ivory could be seeing 20+ touches a game - even if he was moderately successful he would put up useful fantasy numbers.  

I don't know where you'd place him on a list of "top handcuffs to own", but in leagues where basically every cuff is owned, Ivory seems to present very sneaky value and opportunity.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 12:20 PM, PlayTheWaivers said:

Sneakily he has the same amount of points as Alvin Kamara, who everyone loves right now. I also own Fournette and decided to roster Ivory going forward.

I was on the wagon that there would be no RB2 value if Fournette is down, but I think ivory would do well.

People love Kamara because he is on an offense that has a specific role for a pass catching RB. Have had that role for years. This Ivory use came out of nowhere. Will definitely be interesting to see if it is sustainable going forward. 

@Ol Blues it took 3 years, but he finally did it. 

Chris Ivory caught 9-of-10 targets for 74 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 6 loss to the Rams.

Stunningly, Ivory tied for the team lead in targets, and more than doubled his season receptions total. Ivory entered Week 6 with 80 career catches. His touchdown was a 22-yarder on a screen. Ivory caught the pass in a whole mess of traffic before somehow getting loose down the right sideline for the score. It was impressive on his part. Ivory is seeing plenty of work behind Leonard Fournette, but it isn't translating to standalone value in fantasy leagues. Oct 15 - 7:42 PM

As Fournette accumulates dents and dings, and the CS ponders the dreaded "rookie wall," Ivory's relevance will increase.  He has always been an effective back.  I bet he makes a decent starter this week for owners facing major bye week problems.  Ivory, Darkwa and Rawls were my target adds this week.

The way Fournette runs, I'd be surprised if he doesn't miss atleast one game this year.

He seems to get some sort of ankle injury every year

"The ankle injury that LSU star running back Leonard Fournette has dealt with for so much of the 2016 season is a chronic problem, one that will need constant maintenance or perhaps surgery in the future, a source tells SEC Country."

But I guess you could say the same thing for Ivory, who always ends up getting hurt as well.. lol.

4 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

There are better upside stashes for injuries... Texans, Titans for example.

Foreman and Henry are rostered in the great majority of leagues ... hell, Henry had an eighth rd ADP - good luck procuring him off the wire ('cause he's not there).

Foreman may be available in spots due to the Texans bye and the uptick for Lamar - but still at least 50% owned i would assume. 

1 minute ago, seanismorris said:

There are better upside stashes for injuries... Texans, Titans for example.

But Ivory's stand alone value may be getting a bump in the weeks ahead.  We should not underestimate how difficult it is for a rookie to sustain a high level of performance from beginning to end.  Yes, Zeke did it, but he's definitely the exception, not the rule.  

5 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

But Ivory's stand alone value may be getting a bump in the weeks ahead.  We should not underestimate how difficult it is for a rookie to sustain a high level of performance from beginning to end.  Yes, Zeke did it, but he's definitely the exception, not the rule.  

this. 

curious as to the Jags move this week w/Fournette - yuuuuge division game, with the bye next week - do they roll the kid out for a series or two to see how he responds?  or do they sit him, with enough confidence in their D, and Ivory/TJ, to let the rook have 2 weeks of healing?

45 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

this. 

curious as to the Jags move this week w/Fournette - yuuuuge division game, with the bye next week - do they roll the kid out for a series or two to see how he responds?  or do they sit him, with enough confidence in their D, and Ivory/TJ, to let the rook have 2 weeks of healing?

Probably enough uncertainty in the situation right now for Ivory to be a must-roster for Fournette owners.

1 minute ago, ColKurtz said:

Have Fournette, McKinnon, and Latavius.  Considering dropping the latter for Ivory, but I had Ivory last year and he was complete crap.  Not convinced he would be any good if Fournette missed time this year. 

How was the Jags oline last year?

Think Fournette is banging out 100 yard games without the Jags 2nd round LT Cam Robinson?

Per PFF

• Cam Robinson vs. Edge Robert Quinn – Robinson has had a shaky rookie year with an overall grade of 40.7 that ranks 59th out of 69 eligible tackles. He has fared better in pass protection, where his grade of 48.4 ranks 46th and his pass-blocking efficiency of 93.8 checks in 39th. Despite Quinn’s overall grade of 48.8, he is coming in fresh off his best performance of the season. This past Sunday he recorded five total quarterback hurries, but for the year Quinn’s pass-rush productivity of 7.4 ranks 35th among outside linebackers. While the Jaguars are hoping to keep the ball on the ground, Quinn has the talent to heat up and his matchup against Robinson could be a determining factor in the event the Jaguar offense is forced to throw.

————x—x-x-x— 

My opinion based on the information I’ve seen is Fournette is exceptional, and Ivory is nothing special.  I consider Ivory a low end cuff.  If Jacksonville looses Fournette they’re in trouble...