NBC Sports Edge Forums

Enes Kanter 2017-18 Season Outlook

15 minutes ago, WFK said:

I what sort of league is he dropped? Like seriously... I know this is often commented by people on borderline 12-team players to show that they're in a deep or competitive league... But Kanter is ranked 39th in per game value in 9 cat, and 46th in total value in 9 cat. There is honestly not a single reason why he should have been dropped.

I had the exact same reaction. I honestly have nothing to say about Kanter being dropped in a league. It doesn't even warrant a response it is that absurd. The only thing I came up with is that maybe some fantasy basketball people might have the fantasy football mentality where it is a sprint through 16 games and production variance results in immediate transactions because the season is so short and injuries are frequent and substantial. Basketball is a marathon. It covers the same time frame as a baseball season. Obviously more rest days, but do people seriously drop a high end player in baseball at the first sight of a slump? Or a 7 day rest to deal with a nagging injury means a top player on your team gets cut?   

This is just a classic example of the lack of patience that is seen throughout these forums. Seems like a lot of people can't deal with variance in stat lines. Like people can't comprehend that a player doesn't drop 20/10 every single night. Do people understand that a game of 10/5 plus a game of 30/15 equals a 20/10 average. Or is it that people can't deal with the variance of a H2H league that has "luck" as a primary factor in how your team does. It is like a bunch of degenerate gamblers that like the rush of a weekly wager and need a place to complain about players and not realize they are just acting like degenerates when the wager doesn't go their way. It's f*cking brutal to sort through on these forums, but also encouraging to see because you can capitalize off of it with any sort of patience. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see this as a plus to his usage/value. I'm confused... There are so many centers, let alone the fact that's where porzingis should play.

Uhhhhh he was not on the Kicks when I made that post, dude...

Posted Images

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

I had the exact same reaction. I honestly have nothing to say about Kanter being dropped in a league. It doesn't even warrant a response it is that absurd. The only thing I came up with is that maybe some fantasy basketball people might have the fantasy football mentality where it is a sprint through 16 games and production variance results in immediate transactions because the season is so short and injuries are frequent and substantial. Basketball is a marathon. It covers the same time frame as a baseball season. Obviously more rest days, but do people seriously drop a high end player in baseball at the first sight of a slump? Or a 7 day rest to deal with a nagging injury means a top player on your team gets cut?   

This is just a classic example of the lack of patience that is seen throughout these forums. Seems like a lot of people can't deal with variance in stat lines. Like people can't comprehend that a player doesn't drop 20/10 every single night. Do people understand that a game of 10/5 plus a game of 30/15 equals a 20/10 average. Or is it that people can't deal with the variance of a H2H league that has "luck" as a primary factor in how your team does. It is like a bunch of degenerate gamblers that like the rush of a weekly wager and need a place to complain about players and not realize they are just acting like degenerates when the wager doesn't go their way. It's f*cking brutal to sort through on these forums, but also encouraging to see because you can capitalize off of it with any sort of patience. 

I think lot of it has to do with name brand value as well. Enes hasn't really proven himself to be a consistent, reliable fantasy player over his career so guys like him will be dropped at the first sign of struggle by impatient owners. 

1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

Exactly, even in a 4 team league he should be owned. The gambler comparison is so true. It's like half of these forums are filled with people who would much rather gamble on the flavor of the week (and end up with a lot more misses than hits) than just play the boring but winning plays. There are some really good, insightful posts on here by some very knowledgable members, but there's a lot of complete horse**** too.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, #coco said:

Love what he's done so far, but as some of yall mentioned, he's never been a big name. Hard to package him in any trades too despite his production. 

Where did you guys draft him? 

Drafted him in the 11th round of an 8 cat league that is for a lot of $. No trades, just FAAB.

Kanter has had a unique path. Didn't play a minute in college. Age 22 season he finally got a chance to start and threw down good numbers and got dealt. Went to being a backup at OKC. Nothing is outlier-ish with his per 36 numbers. %'s could regress, but he is not taking a bunch of shots so he could just be more selective. The main difference with Kanter this year is that he is actually getting some decent run.

Not every breakout player has to be traded. This idea that you have to trade a guy gets a little overblown. If a guy's situation has fundamentally changed (role, minutes, etc.) then plug and play and trade off someone else on your team. Think of it as trying to shove a square block into a triangular hole. It just doesn't work. If your league is telling you Kanter is a square, then trade the player that they think is the triangle. Don't force something, just keep an open mind and shift strategies to get the most value out of trades. 

3 hours ago, thezing1 said:

Drafted him in the 11th round of an 8 cat league that is for a lot of $. No trades, just FAAB.

Kanter has had a unique path. Didn't play a minute in college. Age 22 season he finally got a chance to start and threw down good numbers and got dealt. Went to being a backup at OKC. Nothing is outlier-ish with his per 36 numbers. %'s could regress, but he is not taking a bunch of shots so he could just be more selective. The main difference with Kanter this year is that he is actually getting some decent run.

Not every breakout player has to be traded. This idea that you have to trade a guy gets a little overblown. If a guy's situation has fundamentally changed (role, minutes, etc.) then plug and play and trade off someone else on your team. Think of it as trying to shove a square block into a triangular hole. It just doesn't work. If your league is telling you Kanter is a square, then trade the player that they think is the triangle. Don't force something, just keep an open mind and shift strategies to get the most value out of trades. 

Oh no I love having him on the team, especially since he was dug up in the later rounds. I've just been trying to package him for a big with more blocks, but people in my league feel insulted whenever I put him in a trade proposal lol. "wTf k4nter suX" kinda reactions haha 

4 hours ago, Sab said:

lollllll he was dropped in my 10-man league for justin holiday HAHA. Hello #1 waiver wire pick - I knew that something good would come of my last pick in the draft :D

Cool, you play in a bush league...why are you proud of this?

16 minutes ago, crocp said:

lol not really buddy, the guy that dropped him is new to the league and didn't understand the WW rules anyway no need to be salty m8 :)

1 hour ago, crocp said:

This happens in lots of leagues. Some people (myself included) at times can have a bad combination of ruthless aggression on the wire, and lack of patience when players are in a funk. After foolishly dropping THJ after his 1st few games, I've been much more patient since (have held Kuzma and Collins thru they good and bad since week 1) 

But to my point, you can have strong competitive leagues even if you have guys who get occasionally antsy for 1 guy while getting impatient with another. Hell, there were a handful of guys on this forum that over the weekend were dropping Denzel Valentine to get Jarret Allen, who had exactly 1 O.K. NBA game under his belt. The next game, Allen plays under 20 mins, puts up a whopping 2 pts 3 boards. While Valentine flirted with a triple double :lol:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Dominator83 said:

This happens in lots of leagues. Some people (myself included) at times can have a bad combination of ruthless aggression on the wire, and lack of patience when players are in a funk. After foolishly dropping THJ after his 1st few games, I've been much more patient since (have held Kuzma and Collins thru they good and bad since week 1) 

But to my point, you can have strong competitive leagues even if you have guys who get occasionally antsy for 1 guy while getting impatient with another. Hell, there were a handful of guys on this forum that over the weekend were dropping Denzel Valentine to get Jarret Allen, who had exactly 1 O.K. NBA game under his belt. The next game, Allen plays under 20 mins, puts up a whopping 2 pts 3 boards. While Valentine flirted with a triple double :lol:

I'm sorry, but leagues that drop a top 40 player can't be considered competitive. While everyone has their own opinion on what 'competitive' exactly is, it means 'people who know what the hell they're doing' in my book. This is the exact opposite of that.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ItaliaBBALL said:

None yet, but I would suppose he is likely to play. We'll see

He practiced yesterday, but he isn't 100%. Personally, I want him to sit out today and take advantage of the rest to get closer to 100% before their next game on Sunday. They have B2B on Sunday/Monday and Saturday/Sunday coming up next week. I would rather have him rest until Sunday instead of sitting out one of the upcoming B2B. Hopefully he makes it out of today with no setbacks. 

On 11/27/2017 at 6:19 PM, #coco said:

Oh no I love having him on the team, especially since he was dug up in the later rounds. I've just been trying to package him for a big with more blocks, but people in my league feel insulted whenever I put him in a trade proposal lol. "wTf k4nter suX" kinda reactions haha 

6 hours ago, WFK said:

I'm sorry, but leagues that drop a top 40 player can't be considered competitive. While everyone has their own opinion on what 'competitive' exactly is, it means 'people who know what the hell they're doing' in my book. This is the exact opposite of that.

Oh I don't condone dropping him at all. Just sayin that even in strong competitive leagues, even good owners can do some dumb ish, especially ones that love being aggressive on the wire. 

Also, I don't know your leagues scoring system, but I'm in a pts league and Kanter is currently ranked #69 (should go up after tonight's big game though). But I recently traded Nurkic for Kanter. Too bad his game tonight was from my bench (weekly lineups and his status was unknown) 

10 hours ago, WFK said:

I think the point we're trying to raise here is that one stupid mistake or move (in this case dropping kanter) does not make a league a bush league that's all. People get frustrated and make mistakes bud. 

Anyway damn what a performance lol the dudes thriving in NYC! looks like KP may be out a game or two as well