Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonnu Smith 2017 Season Outlook


GottaGetTheWin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Rookie TE for the Titans drafted in the 3rd round, 100th overall.  Has great size at 6'4 and ran a 4.6 40.  According to his Draft Profile he is apparently already an accomplish inline blocker which is one of the things that can usually hold young TEs down the first few years.  He is obviously behind Delanie Walker at this point, but his most common comparison was to Walker...now he gets the chance to learn from him.  

 

Walker is 33 and has one year left on his contract.  What are your thoughts on this guy as a dynasty stash?  Could be one Walked injury away from a main role in an offense that likes the TE. 

 

Just turned 22 less than a month ago.

 

Thoughts? 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand that we have Evan Engram right now, but the track record for Rookie TEs is absolutely dreadful. It's an incredibly difficult position to pick up, and most teams prefer you to block a lot before you just start running routes. I'll pass on caring about a Rookie TE who isn't currenlty teh starter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

I understand that we have Evan Engram right now, but the track record for Rookie TEs is absolutely dreadful. It's an incredibly difficult position to pick up, and most teams prefer you to block a lot before you just start running routes. I'll pass on caring about a Rookie TE who isn't currenlty teh starter. 

 

Hence why I said thoughts on this guy as a dynasty stash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Redraft value: none barring injury

Keeper/dynasty value: different story, this TE class is so deep people seem to be forgetting about him. Very athletic, landed in a great spot with a young QB and TE featured scheme. The only issue I can think of with his keeper value is that Marty B and Gavin Escobar were both drafted to replace Witten but he kept being productive so the Cowboys kept witten and let the backups go, if all things break his way he will be a starter next year or Walker could sign a multiyear extension and bury him for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't give up anything for him but if he's on the wire and you have deep rosters (25+) I would have no issue taking a chance on him. If he is able to take over for Walker after a year of learning from one of the most well rounded TEs in the NFL he could easily be a top 12 TE 2 or 3 years down the road, right now I would have him ranked around 25 for TEs in dynasty/keeper leagues.

Edited by Ddam2013
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

 

Hence why I said thoughts on this guy as a dynasty stash. 

Titans fan, definitely a good dynasty stash. He's been extremely impressive the short time he's been around. Lots of talent and Walker won't be around much longer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like Walker is out until after the bye. Have not seen him play at all yet. Anyone have any insight? From the sounds of it, he has what it takes to be successful in his position. Who would dare start him this week? It’s the Browns........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ReCover said:

Looks like Walker is out until after the bye. Have not seen him play at all yet. Anyone have any insight? From the sounds of it, he has what it takes to be successful in his position. Who would dare start him this week? It’s the Browns........

You'd have to be pretty desperate to want to start this guy.

 

I'd be looking for ASJ or Kittle over him, just because of the large uncertainty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

You'd have to be pretty desperate to want to start this guy.

 

I'd be looking for ASJ or Kittle over him, just because of the large uncertainty.

 

Depending on the league size and competitiveness, Kittle/ASJ already rostered. Seems like a nice upside stream for 1 week and potentially more who knows. Part of the fun in Fantasy is finding players before they blow up. If he gets the start, I see him blowing up on the waiver wire next week. And if you nabbed him before hand, even better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely the stream of the week if Delanie is our. Delanie is probably limited anyways in this game. They are expecting a bigger role for Jonnu.

 

The tight end is really important in their scheme and Jonnu has already showed efficiency and touchdowns on limited targets

Edited by PlayTheWaivers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Definitely the stream of the week if Delanie is our. Delanie is probably limited anyways in this game. They are expecting a bigger role for Jonnu.

 

The tight end is really important in their scheme and Jonnu has already showed efficiency and touchdowns on limited targets

 

Yup I picked up him up this week because I have Delanie as my usual starter. I feel confident even if Delanie doesn't play I will get solid production with Jonnu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jewelz0376 said:

 

Yup I picked up him up this week because I have Delanie as my usual starter. I feel confident even if Delanie doesn't play I will get solid production with Jonnu.

 

Everyone-

 

This is your last chance to get a possible week winner at tight end this week. With all the byes, this guy is as good a start as any.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Definitely the stream of the week if Delanie is our. Delanie is probably limited anyways in this game. They are expecting a bigger role for Jonnu.

 

The tight end is really important in their scheme and Jonnu has already showed efficiency and touchdowns on limited targets

 

22 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

 

Everyone-

 

This is your last chance to get a possible week winner at tight end this week. With all the byes, this guy is as good a start as any.

I think the TE stream of the week is Vernon Davis.  Haven't seen enough of this rook yet but I know what VD can do (aside from send you to the doctor).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CooL said:

 

I think the TE stream of the week is Vernon Davis.  Haven't seen enough of this rook yet but I know what VD can do (aside from send you to the doctor).

 

Of course. Jordan Reed is injured and this is a bit more of a traditional pick since everyone knows Vernon will do fine in this role.

 

Just saying that Jonnu is the one that no one is talking about and has a great role and opportunity in front of him versus other waiver scrubs this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PlayTheWaivers said:

 

Of course. Jordan Reed is injured and this is a bit more of a traditional pick since everyone knows Vernon will do fine in this role.

 

Just saying that Jonnu is the one that no one is talking about and has a great role and opportunity in front of him versus other waiver scrubs this week.

Walker is questionable, right? Doesn’t this depend on whether he plays?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Butters said:

Walker is questionable, right? Doesn’t this depend on whether he plays?

 

For sure. Still thinking he's more of the side of doubtful. Ankle bone bruise ain't a joke, and only got one limited practice in this week. 

 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/titans-jonnu-smith-could-start-sunday-vs-ravens/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

 

Of course. Jordan Reed is injured and this is a bit more of a traditional pick since everyone knows Vernon will do fine in this role.

 

Just saying that Jonnu is the one that no one is talking about and has a great role and opportunity in front of him versus other waiver scrubs this week.

Yes, I'm just commenting on your assertion that this guy is the "stream of the week", because most would say that is VD. I think this rookie is a nice flier but to say he is a week winner? IMO, hard to have a week winner coming out of the TE position. Those huge 2 TD monster games just don't seem to come very often. But who knows, if Walker is out this guy has a favorable outlook.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CooL said:

Yes, I'm just commenting on your assertion that this guy is the "stream of the week", because most would say that is VD. I think this rookie is a nice flier but to say he is a week winner? IMO, hard to have a week winner coming out of the TE position. Those huge 2 TD monster games just don't seem to come very often. But who knows, if Walker is out this guy has a favorable outlook.

 

Maybe week winner was a stretch, but for the non obvious streamers, he must be the highest upside. Hoping for the best today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...