NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kristaps Porzingis 2017-2018 Season Outlook

ballr3

I think teams are figuring him out. Boston did, and Detroit is having success early. The key is to crowd him out of the post. He doesn't like contact. He'll park out on the 3 point line for a majority of the possessions to avoid it, then hoist up a 3, which he makes maybe 1/3 times. He's soft. He's talented no doubt, but not a Unicorn like everyone says he is. Teams have begun to figure him out unfortunately. 

his FG% lately is killing me given his large volume of shots he takes each night.  He's 7'3'' and constantly shoots these mid range shots.  He doesn't have a Dirk-like touch, or Vucevic/Turner-like touch, and bricks a ton of shots.  44% on the season and lumped in with guys like Jamal Murray and CJ Mccollum.   I just wish he would take some better shots.

15 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

his FG% lately is killing me given his large volume of shots he takes each night.  He's 7'3'' and constantly shoots these mid range shots.  He doesn't have a Dirk-like touch, or Vucevic/Turner-like touch, and bricks a ton of shots.  44% on the season and lumped in with guys like Jamal Murray and CJ Mccollum.   I just wish he would take some better shots.

When he was hot to start the year I noticed the Knicks were running a play where he'd come off a screen inbetween the foul line and the top of the key and he was hitting it every time. For some reason since THJ has been out they have been posting him up in the Dirk sweet spot having him ISO (maybe defensive adjustments?). All his shots are ISO, 3s , or putbacks. They need to run some plays to get him more open looks like they were to start the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greatestmetfan said:

When he was hot to start the year I noticed the Knicks were running a play where he'd come off a screen inbetween the foul line and the top of the key and he was hitting it every time. For some reason since THJ has been out they have been posting him up in the Dirk sweet spot having him ISO (maybe defensive adjustments?). All his shots are ISO, 3s , or putbacks. They need to run some plays to get him more open looks like they were to start the year.

You're counting on the Knicks executing?

Oh boy. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

He might be 7'3'' but he weighs like 230 pounds and he lacks strength right now. He gets pushed off of his spot all the time. His ISO game vs. bigs is not pleasant to watch. The Knicks do run action where they get a switch and post KP on a wing. Last night he was decisive in those situations in the second half and was just facing up and shooting immediately. This works on wings....bigs not so much. He is also developing as a lead scorer. I see him get to a spot on the floor where he is efficient and in rhythm and he makes shots. Then the defense adjusts, typically by crowding and being physical with him and pushing him off his spot, and it is painful to watch him take the same shots out of rhythm/off-balance. Some of these shots don't even hit the iron. But that will change with strength and experience. 

He is a gangly dude. Honestly, I don't know how you officiate him at this stage of his career. I do think his arm/elbow are getting touched on his release, but I don't think he is at the point of getting the touch fouls/superstar treatment. Is he being fouled? Technically, probably. But if he isn't getting those whistles he needs to adjust, and he will.  

He needs to tighten up his handle and he needs to finish in the paint with far more authority in traffic. When he drives he almost lofts shots high off the glass with a huge arc, probably because he has no base (lack of strength) and is trying to manufacture touch. Other bigs just go in strong in that area and just finish through contact. All of this probably starts with footwork and lower body strength. Until he has the strength to stay balanced in traffic and physical situations his footwork will be off. This is probably why he is more of a jump shooter at this point. I don't know what he is or what he will be. I just know he is a work in progress. He does have great touch and shooting ability, but only when he is in rhythm and not off-balance. You can probably say that about 95% of NBA players. He is cold from 3 right now, but I really like the PNP action with Frankie Smokes where he gets some open 3's in rhythm. They will start to fall as he gets out of the slump. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greatestmetfan said:

THJ was a huge loss for that team. Not saying KP and Kanter are easy to defend, but they are so much easier to defend and gameplan against when they are paired with Lance Thomas. THJ makes the offense more dynamic and that makes things easier for everyone else. I don't think people realize just how big of a deal the THJ injury was for the team and KP specifically. 

50 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

THJ was a huge loss for that team. Not saying KP and Kanter are easy to defend, but they are so much easier to defend and gameplan against when they are paired with Lance Thomas. THJ makes the offense more dynamic and that makes things easier for everyone else. I don't think people realize just how big of a deal the THJ injury was for the team and KP specifically. 

Totally agree with this. THJ is needed for every player on this team to increase fantasy value probably outside of Courtney Lee. I think when THJ comes back the KP FG will rise and the Knicks offense will start clicking again.

13 minutes ago, Chickenmane said:

What is up with this guys fg% lately ?

Lately?  It's been going on for 2 months.  He needs to stop with the insanely difficult turn around mid range jumpers with hands in his face.  He's no circus shot maker.  Keeps forcing that square peg into a round hole POORzingis.

Edited by summersoff7

Surprised to see so much hand-wringing here. A guy nails treys at a good clip and has a below average FG% for his position. His FG% this season is on par with his career average, so what did people expect, for him to keep banging out threes and significantly improve his FG%? He's shooting about 36-37% over the last month. Rotoworld's blurb got it right when they said this is as good a time as ever to buy low on him, and the above five or so comments all look like good target owners from whom to acquire his more than capable services. Zing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rando said:

Surprised to see so much hand-wringing here. A guy nails treys at a good clip and has a below average FG% for his position. His FG% this season is on par with his career average, so what did people expect, for him to keep banging out threes and significantly improve his FG%? He's shooting about 36-37% over the last month. Rotoworld's blurb got it right when they said this is as good a time as ever to buy low on him, and the above five or so comments all look like good target owners from whom to acquire his more than capable services. Zing.

Yeah, I saw that too. I'd gladly buy low on him. There are very few players in the league with his skills for a 7 footer. 2 3's a game, 80+ percent from the line, 2 blocks a game, a solid 7 boards, and safe 20 points a night. I've been hard on him, but those are unique stats. I think we all have to take into account THJ's added dimension into the offense. Once D's have to guard another offensive threat, that will open up looks for Porzingis again, like I said before. His FG% was high before THJ went down. I think it's easy to see the relationship there. So I'm holding, and I hope that avid owners take advantage of the suckers who are willing to sell low on this guy. 

9 hours ago, rando said:

just because we are complaining about his recent performance doesnt mean we are going to "sell low" for the s--- piled up on your bench cupcake.