NBC Sports Edge Forums

Myles Turner 2017-2018 Season Outlook

He's playing pretty well in this game so far. Dont get while you guys are griping about his boards it's not like it's totally lackluster...

14 / 5 / 3 / 0 / 3 on 5/11 FG, 3/3 FTM, zero turnovers. 

If you're complaining about him not getting an extra 3-4 rebounds or dbl-dbl'ing (which he will do also eventually...) then most likely your squad is more thin than you think, something the WW can usually easily patch up. If he's doing this bad as you guys are suggesting, he has nowhere to go but up

He looks poised for a solid game next to Oladipo here atleast (20/7+) tonight

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I somewhat disagree.  The guy with one less game over a whole fantasy season is like 55/56 as effective as the same player with one more game.  One less game in championship week?  That player is like

Only thing ever hot about this dude is his thread. 

Using the blog writer's logic, Kevin Love, KAT, Al Horford, etc. are just role players.  Kevin, KAT and Al are all being asked to do less than they are capable of.  Carrying it a step further,  even S

Posted Images

There is no chance Turner reaches whatever offensive ceiling he has with Oladipo playing like he currently is.  Whatever failings Turner has, maybe bad positioning, not posting up, etc etc it all counts for nothing if he doesn't actually get a chance to have the ball and score and that's what's happening.  Oladipo is straight up Kevin McHale-ing it right now and going Hero Ball Mode.  Great for Oladipo owners, bad news for Turner owners. 

It's been mentioned elsewhere and others as well as myself have said this but Turner is a role player at the moment.  Set screens, pop, play defense.

15 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

There is no chance Turner reaches whatever offensive ceiling he has with Oladipo playing like he currently is.  Whatever failings Turner has, maybe bad positioning, not posting up, etc etc it all counts for nothing if he doesn't actually get a chance to have the ball and score and that's what's happening.  Oladipo is straight up Kevin McHale-ing it right now and going Hero Ball Mode.  Great for Oladipo owners, bad news for Turner owners. 

It's been mentioned elsewhere and others as well as myself have said this but Turner is a role player at the moment.  Set screens, pop, play defense.

His usage is up this season. His numbers tonight were more or less in line with preseason fantasy production projections. I have no idea what any of you were expecting but it has departed from everyone else's reality. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

His usage is up this season. His numbers tonight were more or less in line with preseason fantasy production projections. I have no idea what any of you were expecting but it has departed from everyone else's reality. 

That's great but last time I checked usage wasn't a category in standard fantasy leagues.  His numbers are virtually identical across the board compared to last season and there was an expectation for at least a marginal improvement at the very least in scoring.  A repeat of last seasons numbers was and is his floor.  Not improving from his floor when the opportunity is  there for him to do so (generally what happens when a franchise player gets moved on like PG did) is the reason you're seeing disappointment.  That and the fact that in the 2nd and 3rd rounds there were others who people picked ahead of Turner who are having breakout seasons (mainly Porzingis) and the frustration of seeing those guys go ham with 20+/10 games adds to the disappointment when Turner inevitably puts up another 15/6 game and deals with foul trouble.

Also I'm not sure what preseason rankings you looked at but almost every single one I read had Turner improving even a little bit.  Nobody expected him to be exactly the same player and for Oladipo to become Paul George 2.0.  

Having said all this Turner's floor is better than nothing (looking at you Griffin owners) and the fact he contributes so highly in a scarce cat (blocks) is good.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, miasma16 said:

You're the one complaining that he's a role player. It's a simple fact that you're wrong. 

21 hours ago, miasma16 said:

His usage is up this season.

So just had a look at Turner's usage% and you're way off.  Even though there's small discrepancies between stats sites both Bball-ref and NBA Stats show Turner's usage% this season has increased VERY marginally compared to last season.  His % has increased around 1% which is negligible at best but even more damning is his usage% is around the same IF NOT LOWER than his rookie year.  A year he was unequivocally a role player. 

If anything this just goes to show usage% isn't everything as Turner is playing differently compared to his rookie season but your claim of Turner's usage% increase is basically trash. 

To put it in perspective:  Turner's usage is almost exactly in line with Ibaka's the last 3 seasons and Ibaka is most definitely a role player. 

People drafted Turner thinking they were getting more than a role player (regardless of how good a one he actually is).  That is why you see disappointment in this thread.

in 9 Cat he is 28th on the player rater last 30 days, 26th last 15, and per game he is 34th overall. 

Sure i was hoping he'd elevate his game to the top 20 but he has been very solid. Youd think he was outside the top 100 by some of the posts on here. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

So just had a look at Turner's usage% and you're way off.  Even though there's small discrepancies between stats sites both Bball-ref and NBA Stats show Turner's usage% this season has increased VERY marginally compared to last season.  His % has increased around 1% which is negligible at best but even more damning is his usage% is around the same IF NOT LOWER than his rookie year.  A year he was unequivocally a role player. 

If anything this just goes to show usage% isn't everything as Turner is playing differently compared to his rookie season but your claim of Turner's usage% increase is basically trash. 

To put it in perspective:  Turner's usage is almost exactly in line with Ibaka's the last 3 seasons and Ibaka is most definitely a role player. 

People drafted Turner thinking they were getting more than a role player (regardless of how good a one he actually is).  That is why you see disappointment in this thread.

His usage is up. He's not a role player. Never was. Again, don't know why you're arguing with facts. 

33 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

His usage is up. He's not a role player. Never was. Again, don't know why you're arguing with facts. 

'Facts'.

Here are some facts.  Turner's shots and usage:

2015-16   FGA - 8.8, Usage - 20.9

2016-17   FGA - 10.7 Usage - 19.5

2017-18   FGA - 11.2 Usage - 20.8

Massive change huh?

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam

Here's a good read for those of us with Turner and for those who don't think Turner is essentially a role player.

https://ipacers.com/2017/11/29/how-good-is-myles-turner-indiana-pacers/comment-page-1/

" While Myles Turner may be treated as a role player in the Pacers offense, the potential is clearly there for Turner to do more if called upon. It’d be wise to remember how much better Oladipo and Sabonis look in their new roles with more responsibility compared to their mediocre seasons last year when they weren’t asked to do nearly as much for the Thunder. Sometimes, it’s more about what the coach asks a player to do than what that player is actually capable of. "

Second result when searching 'Indiana Pacers offense, Myles Turner' but close enough buddy.

31 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Congratulations on googling "Myles Turner role player" and reposting the first fan article you found. I know this is the internet and you're very hesitant to admit that you're wrong but, please, stop embarrassing yourself. 

The irony of posting this when your aforementioned 'facts' get disputed and objectively proven incorrect.

That's ok pal we're all allowed to be salty every now and again.  Like you said this is the internet and opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and some stink more than other.s

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

The irony of posting this when your aforementioned 'facts' get disputed and objectively proven incorrect.

I posted numbers. You posted a blog entry. Objectively, eh? I guess you don't know what words mean, either. 

Using the blog writer's logic, Kevin Love, KAT, Al Horford, etc. are just role players.  Kevin, KAT and Al are all being asked to do less than they are capable of.  Carrying it a step further,  even Stephen Curry is a role player.  Role players are generally considered to be players who fill a niche not a player who is third on the team in scoring, second in rebounding,  3rd in FGA, 3rd in FTA, and 1st in blocks as a starter.  I understand what he is trying to say but the blog writer is misguided in applying the term "role" player.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, miasma16 said:

I posted numbers. You posted a blog entry. Objectively, eh? I guess you don't know what words mean, either. 

Show me again where you posted some numbers?  First of all not once did you post anything but douche comments except for the statement 'his usage is up' which last time I checked contains letters not numbers.  So unless you don't know the difference between letter and numbers...

8 hours ago, miasma16 said:

I guess you don't know what words mean, either. 

Again, the irony...

Secondly, I posted some actual numbers which show why so far this season that Turner usage statement is basically garbage.