NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Myles Turner 2017-2018 Season Outlook

12 minutes ago, The Unknown said:

Those rankings are including the blocks, since it’s a rare feat it makes it seem better than really is. Remove the blocks and see where his ranking is. 

what is the point in looking the ranking of a player w/o the stat category where he excels????

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

but why would you remove his best category to evaluate him? 

Exactly. The blks are a big reason of why we drafted him. In that case we should remove assists when seeing where Wall ranks, or Rbs to see where Djordan ranks. Not to be too forward, but it doesn't make sense. If Sabonis had Myles blks I would have drafted him...

Edited by ItaliaBBALL
  • Like 2

Here's the simple answer why....Because at his projected Draft ranking he's just about average (Or Below) everywhere else without the blocks. If he's getting about 5 blocks a game that amounts to 10 FP in standard settings so that would have made it worthwhile to only focus on that & be happy. Those guys mentioned as examples, offer more than one category line which theyre good at. Keep in mind not everyone is playing in category leagues. 

Edited by The Unknown
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Unknown said:

Here's the simple answer why....Because at his projected Draft ranking he's just about average (Or Below) everywhere else without the blocks. If he's getting about 5 blocks a game that amounts to 10 FP in standard settings so that would have made it worthwhile to only focus on that & be happy. Those guys mentioned as examples, offer more than one category line which theyre good at. Keep in mind not everyone is playing in category leagues. 

The thing is, he is not good at blocks. He is ELITE. Yet he is offering good rebs, he is a Center who makes 3s and he has descent points with great %'s. I would check the ranks of players with an elite statistical category how they do w/o it, only if i was curious. Because you cant really get any useful conclusions by that...

1 hour ago, bballshinobi said:

but why would you remove his best category to evaluate him? 

1 hour ago, Manos A said:

what is the point in looking the ranking of a player w/o the stat category where he excels????

The point of that is to demonstrate just how much of his value is tied up in blocks.  Take the blocks away and his ranking and value goes way down to the point where statistically he's producing at the level of someone like Nurkic or a slightly better version of Dewayne Dedmon.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ComeOnAndSlam said:

The point of that is to demonstrate just how much of his value is tied up in blocks.  Take the blocks away and his ranking and value goes way down to the point where statistically he's producing at the level of someone like Nurkic or a slightly better version of Dewayne Dedmon.

That isn't how math works. If your league counts blocks, as literally all of them do, you can't just throw it out. 

That dude may be ignorant or perhaps in denial if he thinks people who  drafted him with the 20-28 pick should be cool with Myles n be happy he leads the league in blocks. Have a look at players that go in that range.

EX: 

Devin Booker,

Kevin Love 

Blake Griffin

Marc Gasol

DJ

Beal

Drummond

Klay

Not even relatively close in FP production like those listed above

4 minutes ago, The Unknown said:

That dude may be ignorant or perhaps in denial if he thinks people who  drafted him with the 20-28 pick should be cool with Myles n be happy he leads the league in blocks. Have a look at players that go in that range.

EX: 

Devin Booker,

Kevin Love 

Blake Griffin

Marc Gasol

DJ

Beal

Drummond

Klay

Not even relatively close in FP production like those listed above

Why are you arguing with math? He's ranked higher than most of those players. What a bizarre poster. 

34 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

That isn't how math works. If your league counts blocks, as literally all of them do, you can't just throw it out. 

And if your league has 7-8 other categories, as literally all of them do, then how can deny that his production in almost every other category is potentially a source of frustration for some people? If you want to try to ascertain Turner's value IN REGARDS TO THE OTHER CATEGORIES then you absolutely can remove blocks to get his value and rankings.  All that does is evaluate the rest of Turner's production.  That's all people are doing here.  You and others are seeing this, getting on your high horse and somehow trying to twist that into what?  Some weird argument where you're constantly reminding everybody of his best category when nobody at all is complaining about that.  Just before I was complaining about Wall's FT shooting.  Want to head to that thread and remind me about his elite assists?

Read the last few pages again you'll notice nobody is denying or expressing disappointment with Turner's elite shot blocking.  What they are disappointed with is everything else.  His line is almost exactly the same as last season when there was an expectation for improvement.  That is why you see people disappointed in here.  If this is his floor then it's a pretty good floor so the gripes are really about unrealized expectations or potential with every other cat.  Unless you were either A. extremely pessimistic or B. Omnipotent nobody saw Turner just repeating his production from last season with Paul George being shipped out.  

If I remember correctly the last time this was brought up you either still couldn't wrap your head around why people write the things they do in this thread or you were intentionally ignoring them and unless a Christmas miracle has occurred I don't think that's going to change. 

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Why are you arguing with math? He's ranked higher than most of those players. What a bizarre poster. 

LOL What Math are you seeing this at? The one that doesnt list Cousins in the top 12....... Good Luck with that approach

Rotoworld, fantasypros, Espn, Yahoo all tell a different story.

Anyways guys Kent Bazemore is nearly averaging 2 steals to bad, next year I'll pick him in the 2nd-3rd. 

Edited by The Unknown
  • Haha 1

I'm by no means a basketball expert, but my take on Myles is that he's been hurt by the coaching staff and the emergence of Dipo. Long term, this guy is gonna be a total stud and do just fine. However, for those of you expecting monster stats this year from your 2nd rounder, don't hold your breath. This year, this is Dipo's team. However, I'm not so sure it will be next year. IMO, Myles is definitely more talented and has more potential than Victor. Myles is also exactly what the league's top big men are turning into, a 6'11'' player who plays solid defense and spaces the floor shooting 3's. Also, Turner had a monster 1st game then was out with a concussion for around 2 weeks I believe. That early into the year, rotations are being set and players come out of nowhere. Dipo took his chance to make this his team and run with it. Next year, I can see Myles taking it back. No, I don't think he'll ever be a big rebounder, but if he was getting consistent touches and minutes, he'd be an absolute monster. Really, there should be no way he's only averaging 30 minutes and taking only 11 shots a game. If the coaching staff knew what they were doing, Myles' numbers would look much different. He's still got room to grow (remember, he doesn't even have a real post move yet), but next year, as a 22 year old (keep that in mind too), I could honestly see him do 23/8 with 2 blocks, 2 threes, 1 steal, and solid %'s. 

In all, yes, this is probably a lost year for Myles if you were expecting that stat line this season. Next year, with another offseason to get better and a chance to make this his team and get all the touches and minutes he can handle, things will be different. Just my opinion though, I've been wrong before.

It's not the problem that blocks make the most of his value, it's that points and rebounds, as probably the most overrated categories and most obvious on the first look make probably the least part of his value in comparison to the players in his range. But points are so overrated that the biggest complain here is that Myles doesn't take enough shots, isn't involved in the offense etc like points are the only thing that matter how good the player is, and that doesn't make sense, especially in fantasy, Myles is like the big man version of Otto Porter.

Why do people act like he is a one cat player i don't know. He has such a small amount of turnovers and that is the cat he excels at. He is scoring 1 3pg, which is really good, more than Embiid for example. He is shooting around 50% from the field, but let's ignore that. If we ignore blocks Myles is ranked 105th, you think that's bad? If we ignore assists, Westbrook is ranked 118th, oh man, Russ is a one cat player I guess, worst first rounder ever drafted lol. If we ignore rebounds, Drummond is 139th, another 1 cat scrub i guess, I could go on, but I won't.

Edited by GmGodine
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, GmGodine said:

He is shooting around 50% from the field, but let's ignore that.

He's sitting at 50%, but he's only averaging 11fga. Not significant enough to buffer my team's fg %. 

3 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

He's still got room to grow (remember, he doesn't even have a real post move yet), but next year, as a 22 year old (keep that in mind too), I could honestly see him do 23/8 with 2 blocks, 2 threes, 1 steal, and solid %'s. 

Lol that's exactly what most if us were thinking this year. He's been compared to Ibaka, who's best statistical year showed 15/9 on 54% shooting.  He also added a 1 trey and 2.7 blocks. I just see don't turner surpassing that. 

Can't ignore his blocks, but I play h2h, so I can't ignore how he's been underwhelming elsewhere. His 1 three a game is meh when you have KP, DMC, AD, KAT, and even gasol averaging more than him. 

When i drafted him i was looking for elite blocks and hoped for 10 rebs 20 pts great %. Well, he is not grabbing 10 boards and he is not gonna average 20 pts this season, so people need to realize it and get over it. Also, dipo is not the problem for his medium usage. When dipo was out, Turner's usage was pretty much the same, so ffs quit on blaming Dipo. I've seen posts in this thread calling him a bust, a role player, worst pick ever. Wtf? Im playing in H2H and maybe there is something i cant see in others people league format, but still.... if your league doesnt value blocks this much why on earth would you pick Turner this early? I feel like this thread's post are going on circles. People blaming him then the rest have to make a case for him. So plz, break this endless circle once and for all, STOP SAYING TURNER'S USAGE IS DIPO'S FAULT AND STOP EXPECTING ELITE PRODUCTION IN CATEGORIES OTHER THAN BLOCKS!!! It is what it is, alright? Move on

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manos A said:

Also, dipo is not the problem for his medium usage. When dipo was out, Turner's usage was pretty much the same, so ffs quit on blaming Dipo.

I blame the coaching staff. How do you not involve the 2nd best player on the team more? Especially when Oladipo is out.

3 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

I blame the coaching staff. How do you not involve the 2nd best player on the team more? Especially when Oladipo is out.

Who is 2nd best player is relevant. Also, dont tell me you would consider a wise move from the coaching stuff to mess with their playing book because of oladipo's one game absence. They are doing better than expected as a team this season so we cant really blame the coaching staff. But as i said, it is what it is, why do we have to blame someone just because we couldnt predict something?

6 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

because he can't create his own shot,he has no post moves,he need his teammates P&R with him and pass the ball to him to shoot

• Thanks 1