NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Myles Turner 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Just now, kane said:

because he can't create his own shot,he has no post moves,he need his teammates P&R with him and pass the ball to him to shoot

exactly! He needs to develop his post play. He cant improve much more w/o him getting the work in the post. I just dont see this happening during this season. He needs to work on it in the offseason, this way he could have a role as a facilitator for his team and would force their offense to go through him. Pretty much what the Pistons are trying to do with Drummond. If this happens, then we can reasonably expect 20pts, more rebounding chances and an uptick in assists.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Manos A said:

Also, dont tell me you would consider a wise move from the coaching stuff to mess with their playing book because of oladipo's one game absence.

I'm not saying any of this because oladipo was out a game. I don't see what that has to do with it.

53 minutes ago, kane said:

because he can't create his own shot,he has no post moves,he need his teammates P&R with him and pass the ball to him to shoot

So you put him in positions where he can shoot the ball.. The NBA is so PNR heavy now and his game is perfect for it. It's just a fact that they don't involve him as much. Whether he has post moves or not is irrelevant these days. He's a shooting big man and that does wonders for the offense.

Idk I'm saying this as someone who has only seen quarters here and there so I probably don't have the most informed opinion on it.

1 hour ago, hardyharhar said:

So you put him in positions where he can shoot the ball.. The NBA is so PNR heavy now and his game is perfect for it. It's just a fact that they don't involve him as much. Whether he has post moves or not is irrelevant these days. He's a shooting big man and that does wonders for the offense.

But its not irrelevant as i see it. It limites the ways his team can use him in the offense. Yes, the nba is PNR and PNP heavy and his game is indeed perfect for it, thats how he has been used so far and how he gets his points. However, i am just saying that if he wants to be their main offensive weapon he has to improve on his post game or create at least one. This way he can be more like a Marc Gasol type of player and the ball will have to go through his hands in every possession which results in higher usage imo. He wont have to depend on the guards ballhanlders/ playmakers to create his shot...

7 hours ago, hardyharhar said:

Already been mentioned but he can't create off the dribble. He's a good pnr shooter, but do you really want a high volume of shots coming from long twos? 

5 hours ago, Manos A said:

But its not irrelevant as i see it. It limites the ways his team can use him in the offense. Yes, the nba is PNR and PNP heavy and his game is indeed perfect for it, thats how he has been used so far and how he gets his points. However, i am just saying that if he wants to be their main offensive weapon he has to improve on his post game or create at least one. This way he can be more like a Marc Gasol type of player and the ball will have to go through his hands in every possession which results in higher usage imo. He wont have to depend on the guards ballhanlders/ playmakers to create his shot...

Well yes, but I'm not really calling for him to be the primary option, at least not when Oladipo is playing. There are so many shots that go to players who shoot it worse. While he may not be able to create his own shot, others can create for him whether it's through a pnr or pnp or even a play. It's just that they don't choose to. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

Well yes, but I'm not really calling for him to be the primary option, at least not when Oladipo is playing. There are so many shots that go to players who shoot it worse. While he may not be able to create his own shot, others can create for him whether it's through a pnr or pnp or even a play. It's just that they don't choose to. 

We can agree to disagree at this point, I think he gets a fair amount of offense considering the fact he can only score by PNR and PNP. They use his screens almoste every time that he is on the floor. Thats what im seeing...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

He's a center. Not everyone is Embiid. Stick to your other criticisms, this one is ridiculous.

Missed the point. The point being his offensive upside is limited if he isn't capable of doing  anything with the ball besides a pick n pop. But this has already been discussed.  

Edited by #coco

7 hours ago, bmoney0111 said:

I need more rebounds with DD from him. I was extremely high on Turner this year. Drafted him way too early with the 31st pick. 

31st pick would be right on the money for Turner. 

The complaints in here are all coming from people who picked him around ~20. And even that is unwarranted. 

Per game, he's ranked 32nd this year. If Turner does any better than what he's done up to now (which I still think he will) is just pure gravy for you.

Is Turner disappointing this year? Yea sure, considering I was hoping for borderline first round value from him.

But that's mostly on me and my hopeful expectations for him.

Does that mean he isn't worth a 31st pick or even 20th pick? Heck no. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bmoney0111 said:

I need more rebounds with DD from him. I was extremely high on Turner this year. Drafted him way too early with the 31st pick. 

lol if you check turner's numbers and playing style you know he is Ibaka type of player who won't give you a lot of rebounds. I think most here would agree that we draft turner for his blocks first and for the hype turner was getting pre season, drafting him at 31st pick is almost a steal. Pretty sure most people here complaints about tuner draft him around 20's or even higher. I wonder how your team is doing with turner in your league? 

• Like 1

Facing Lance this week so I was curious if his 15 rebounds were a fluke. While looking at the film, noticed he snatched like 5 rebounds from Myles, and I may be looking too much into it but doesn't Myles kind of look pissed when he does that little arm movement towards Lance when he gets his very last rebound?

Lance's Rebounds - Sorry I couldn't link to the exact rebound. Just scroll down and click his last rebound of the game.

Edited by hardyharhar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hardyharhar said:

Facing Lance this week so I was curious if his 15 rebounds were a fluke. While looking at the film, noticed he snatched like 5 rebounds from Myles, and I may be looking too much into it but doesn't Myles kind of look pissed when he does that little arm movement towards Lance when he gets his very last rebound?

Lance's Rebounds - Sorry I couldn't link to the exact rebound. Just scroll down and click his last rebound of the game.

Hahah I’m so glad I watched that. He legit just swung his arm up in the air. That’s the personification of this season for him lol

2 hours ago, hardyharhar said:

Also, because I'm in the conspiracy mood, here's a nice little image of Myles giving Lance the stare down after the game ended.

5a4617183e6fa_ScreenShot2017-12-29at2_16_22AM.png.2cd6ef73481875a6df8a421ca0d9ce1b.png

Well Myles needs to do a little less crying and throwing his arms around and put them to good use and jump to snatch those boards.  He's beta like I always said.  Just lets Lance waltz in and take them boards from him.  I bet he would let Lance take his girlfriend too

4 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

Well Myles needs to do a little less crying and throwing his arms around and put them to good use and jump to snatch those boards.  He's beta like I always said.  Just lets Lance waltz in and take them boards from him.  I bet he would let Lance take his girlfriend too

Lance would have to go through oladipo first. That’s been his girl for months 

8 hours ago, ber said:

lol if you check turner's numbers and playing style you know he is Ibaka type of player who won't give you a lot of rebounds. I think most here would agree that we draft turner for his blocks first and for the hype turner was getting pre season, drafting him at 31st pick is almost a steal. Pretty sure most people here complaints about tuner draft him around 20's or even higher. I wonder how your team is doing with turner in your league? 

So funny that I have Ibaka as well. You right definitely is the high expectations we have. i’m 7-4 in my league in 4th place in a 12 team league.