NBC Sports Edge Forums

Harrison Barnes 2017-2018 Season Outlook

With the news that Carlisle will start Barnes at PF and move Nowitski to C how does this help Barnes? Does this make him a viable stretch 4 with opportunities to up his rebounding from 5 to possibly 7-8. He posted mid-round value last season and it looks like Noel will Be delegates to backup 5 role.

Harrison Barnes said he prepared his body to play more minutes at power forward with the expectation that he will be the starting four-man in Dallas this season.
Rick Carlisle wants the Mavs to turn up the tempo and it sounds like he'll open the year with Barnes as the Mavs starting power forward, shifting Dirk Nowitzki over to center. Barnes added that operating as Dallas' No. 1 option last year was a great experience and that he wants to become better at getting to the line in his second year with the Mavericks. Barnes doesn't do much in the way of steals or assists, but he scores efficiently and will be worthy of a mid-round pick on draft day. Sep 25 - 3:37 PM
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a couple things that I'm looking forward to this season in regards to Harrison Barnes.

1. His move to power forward - I think move there will naturally net him about an extra +1 rebound per game, so we could be seeing him at or around the 6.0 RPG mark.

2. The Addition of Dennis Smith Jr - I think Smith Jr. has the upside to become the ROY and I get this weird sense that he could, at some point, turn in a season much like the one that Damian Lillard turned in his rookie season. If this holds true, defenses aren't going to be swarming up on Barnes. (not that they were last year either).

3. Assists - A small blurb came out this summer in regards to Barnes wanting to facilitate on offense more. While we are unlikely to see Barnes all of a sudden surge to 3-4 assists per game, even a small jump, from 1.5 last season to 2.0 or 2.5 apg this season would be a welcome sight for fantasy stake holders.

4. His second full year as "one of the guys" - This will be Barnes second year being one of the go-to guys...Not stuck behind Steph, Klay, Draymond etc...It's wouldn't at all be surprising to see him reach the 20.0 PPG plateau and I think based off the consistency we saw from him last season, 21.0 - 22.0 PPG isn't out of the question.

There's a lot to like about his situation this season. If you can scoop him up any where in the ADP 60's-70's in 9-cat leagues, you will likely feel good about it. Low turnovers, high PPG, high FT%. What's not to like?

On 10/13/2017 at 9:53 PM, Rbra4176 said:

Predicting he'll be like 21.5 pts, 6.8 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.4 3s, 1 steals a game this year with given circumstances

Seems aggressive. Thats almost a Jimmy Butler stat line minus the steals and 4+ assists

25 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

There's a couple things that I'm looking forward to this season in regards to Harrison Barnes.

2. The Addition of Dennis Smith Jr - I think Smith Jr. has the upside to become the ROY and I get this weird sense that he could, at some point, turn in a season much like the one that Damian Lillard turned in his rookie season. If this holds true, defenses aren't going to be swarming up on Barnes. (not that they were last year either).

3. Assists - A small blurb came out this summer in regards to Barnes wanting to facilitate on offense more. While we are unlikely to see Barnes all of a sudden surge to 3-4 assists per game, even a small jump, from 1.5 last season to 2.0 or 2.5 apg this season would be a welcome sight for fantasy stake holders.

4. His second full year as "one of the guys" - This will be Barnes second year being one of the go-to guys...Not stuck behind Steph, Klay, Draymond etc...It's wouldn't at all be surprising to see him reach the 20.0 PPG plateau and I think based off the consistency we saw from him last season, 21.0 - 22.0 PPG isn't out of the question.

2. The Dallas roster just strikes me as one where you play them straight up on defense. There isn't much need to double anyone. 

3. This ties into your point 2. Last year Dallas didn't really have a dominant PG. DSJ should be that in the sense that he dominates the ball and running the offense. Unless Barnes starts hockey assisting I don't think it is wise to bank on a big spike in assists.

4. This is the most important point you addressed IMO. Continuity is something you can't really predict until it shows up in the box scores. One offseason of focused development on parts of your game you need to grow to fit the team is huge. My only concern is DSJ should/could develop into the lead man in the second half of the season once he gets comfortable with the speed of the NBA. 

3 hours ago, Code of Hammurabi said:

Seems aggressive. Thats almost a Jimmy Butler stat line minus the steals and 4+ assists

Well if their tempo will be faster, he's the starting PF, and he simply just gets better, I think he could easily reach that

• Like 1

My EOS Stat Predictions for Harrison Barnes this season. I think he'll hold steady Top-50/60 value all season.

9 CAT - 46.0 FG%, 86.0 FT%, 1.0 3PM, 20.5 PPG, 6.0 RPG, 2.0 APG, 0.8 STL, 0.3 BLK, 1.4 T/O

The BOLD being the specific stats that will solidify his value. It's difficult to find a player who can give you 20ppg/6reb/85.0 FT% and less than 1.5 turnovers past the 5th round.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 2:12 PM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

With the news that Carlisle will start Barnes at PF and move Nowitski to C how does this help Barnes? Does this make him a viable stretch 4 with opportunities to up his rebounding from 5 to possibly 7-8. He posted mid-round value last season and it looks like Noel will Be delegates to backup 5 role.

Harrison Barnes said he prepared his body to play more minutes at power forward with the expectation that he will be the starting four-man in Dallas this season.
Rick Carlisle wants the Mavs to turn up the tempo and it sounds like he'll open the year with Barnes as the Mavs starting power forward, shifting Dirk Nowitzki over to center. Barnes added that operating as Dallas' No. 1 option last year was a great experience and that he wants to become better at getting to the line in his second year with the Mavericks. Barnes doesn't do much in the way of steals or assists, but he scores efficiently and will be worthy of a mid-round pick on draft day. Sep 25 - 3:37 PM

On target with the boards. 22ppg, 8reb so far in November. I'll be more than happy if he can keep this up for the year. FG% is finally coming back up as well. 

On 9/25/2017 at 11:12 PM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

has he started any games at the PF? it would be awesome if he gets a PF tag on espn

Wow surprised to not see more posts about Barnes. I just got him in a trade that included me sending Whiteside but I like Barnes all around game and he’s still young. He seems really consistent too with his game I guess that’s why there’s very little posts lol but hopefully I made the right trade seeing as how I’d love to keep him for years to come in my keeper league. 

11 minutes ago, Anklez2222 said:

Wow surprised to not see more posts about Barnes. I just got him in a trade that included me sending Whiteside but I like Barnes all around game and he’s still young. He seems really consistent too with his game I guess that’s why there’s very little posts lol but hopefully I made the right trade seeing as how I’d love to keep him for years to come in my keeper league. 

It's because Barnes isn't a high profile guy, and as you said, he's consistent. Barnes is going to get better and better. Past few games he's even been passing the ball better. If the Mavs put the ball in his hands more as opposed to the guards, his assists would be more consistent. Good luck!

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ugr23 said:

4 points and 1 rebound in the first half against pelicans. A very good performance bro. 

And he played the most minutes in Dallas. And Dallas scored 77 in the first half. Even Dallas mascot will probably score more points than this guy in this game. The most boring player on my roster.

• Haha 1