Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giannis Antetokounmpo 2017-2018 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Wait, you actually drafted Giannis over KD?  KD is like Giannis except with a jump shot, and even he's averaging a block more per game than Giannis this year.  While Giannis is a liability in 3PTS and FT%, KD helps in every single category roto category.  I hate the Warriors and I hate KD, but he is a better fantasy player than Giannis by a wide margin.

 

 

I just traded my Giannis for this exact reason. Overall, in 9-cat roto, it's tough to justify Giannis over KD if he's blocking less (even though he's ranked higher thanks to his weighted FG and other goodies), because KD has sterling FT, shoots triples and chips in just as much everywhere else, if not more with blocks this year.

 

It depends on team build I guess, but the regression in blocks was unexpected.

Edited by ovofnd
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't believe I've had ticket to see Giannis play the Sixers tonight for months and then of course he isn't playing.  Incredible

MIL office must have read this post of yours and decided, "We will not be fooled anymore!" lol

What you all are "building"? If undisputed TOP5 pick is hard to "build" then something is wrong. Don't "build", but just make a team.

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Wait, you actually drafted Giannis over KD?  KD is like Giannis except with a jump shot, and even he's averaging a block more per game than Giannis this year.  While Giannis is a liability in 3PTS and FT%, KD helps in every single category roto category.  I hate the Warriors and I hate KD, but he is a better fantasy player than Giannis by a wide margin.

 

I know, I just wanted a different experience and build around another player,(KD,Harden,Westbrook,Curry, Lebron,Cousins, AD i've used them and have won and lost with them)  and since he was a viable top 3 pick along with harden kd and kat, i chose giannis this year. ( my goodness I was also close taking KAT) Now, they got bledsoe so giannis have moved down to 5/6, maybe hopefully he increase his blocks again and he'll be back at the 3rd/4th postition. I steered clear of gsw players because of rest, i was lucky steph last year didnt rest much since KD was out, they were chasing a title, now they are relaxed and they can turn it on in April onward. That weighed in on my decision.  Next year though, might come back to KD Harden and Lebron or Kawhi, just gonna draft and surrond them with better players to negate their rest days)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ovofnd said:

 

I just traded my Giannis for this exact reason. Overall, in 9-cat roto, it's tough to justify Giannis over KD if he's blocking less (even though he's ranked higher thanks to his weighted FG and other goodies), because KD has sterling FT, shoots triples and chips in just as much everywhere else, if not more with blocks this year.

 

It depends on team build I guess, but the regression in blocks was unexpected.

yeah the blocks were annoying, actually KD is at 4, Giannis at 6 in basketball monster. What KD is doing now is what I expected of Giannis along with some triple double assists. Hell I have more triple doubles with Lowry than Giannis, ( and also lonzo lol)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bucks and Jason Kidd are a joke. Giannis should be a max usage player like Harden or Lebron to best maximize his amazing and unique skill set. They need to play faster and with more purpose. Kidd is stuck in his early 2000s ways of slow Eastern Conference basketball. Its a colossal abomination and shocking to the conscience.   

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Xmantt said:

yeah the blocks were annoying, actually KD is at 4, Giannis at 6 in basketball monster. What KD is doing now is what I expected of Giannis along with some triple double assists. Hell I have more triple doubles with Lowry than Giannis, ( and also lonzo lol)

 

Yeah, I'm surprised that KD has a full block per game more than Giannis.  However, KD always has had a huge edge over Giannis in 3PTS and FT%.  Until Giannis develops a jump shot, I don't really think there's any debate between him and KD.

 

The acquisition of Bledsoe has hurt for sure, but I'd still view Giannis as a top 5 fantasy player.  I'd take KD, Harden, and Curry ahead of Giannis for sure.  Then it's a toss-up for me between Towns and Giannis at #4.  Anthony Davis when healthy is better than Giannis, but given Davis's injury history, I wouldn't take him ahead of Giannis.  LeBron's been great this year, but I think he's going to get some more rest in the second half and may drop back towards his level from the past two years, so I'd still take Giannis ahead of LeBron.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Wait, you actually drafted Giannis over KD?  KD is like Giannis except with a jump shot, and even he's averaging a block more per game than Giannis this year.  While Giannis is a liability in 3PTS and FT%, KD helps in every single category roto category.  I hate the Warriors and I hate KD, but he is a better fantasy player than Giannis by a wide margin.

 

 

Giannis is also averaging almost a full steal more than KD. Giannis has the advantage that he's easier to build a punt team for. It's a funny knock on KD but it's true. Although, it's probably not even a knock.. I would also say that Giannis is less prone to low fg% games than KD is. Personally, my team is punt ft%/3s, so Giannis is a no brainer over KD. But at the same time, KD was taken before me so that probably plays a big part into it. Before the draft started, I really had no idea whether I would go with KD or Giannis. Luckily, my decision was made for me.

Edited by hardyharhar
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hardyharhar said:

 

Giannis is also averaging almost a full steal more than KD. Giannis has the advantage that he's easier to build a punt team for. It's a funny knock on KD but it's true. Although, it's probably not even a knock.. I would also say that Giannis is less prone to low fg% games than KD is. Personally, my team is punt ft%/3s, so Giannis is a no brainer over KD. But at the same time, KD was taken before me so that probably plays a big part into it. Before the draft started, I really had no idea whether I would go with KD or Giannis. Luckily, my decision was made for me.

This

 

in h2h cat league:

 

Giannis > KD

 

i made the mistake of passing in giannis in the draft. KD was selected first but to me it was never between him and giannis

 

my decision came down to westbrrok or giannis but i chose westbrook and ended up getting giannis anyway. 

 

After having giannis on my team and having kd last year i like giannis better

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hardyharhar said:

 

Giannis is also averaging almost a full steal more than KD. Giannis has the advantage that he's easier to build a punt team for. It's a funny knock on KD but it's true. Although, it's probably not even a knock.. I would also say that Giannis is less prone to low fg% games than KD is. Personally, my team is punt ft%/3s, so Giannis is a no brainer over KD. But at the same time, KD was taken before me so that probably plays a big part into it. Before the draft started, I really had no idea whether I would go with KD or Giannis. Luckily, my decision was made for me.

 

5 hours ago, necro892003 said:

This

 

in h2h cat league:

 

Giannis > KD

 

i made the mistake of passing in giannis in the draft. KD was selected first but to me it was never between him and giannis

 

my decision came down to westbrrok or giannis but i chose westbrook and ended up getting giannis anyway. 

 

After having giannis on my team and having kd last year i like giannis better

 

It comes down to what type of league you play in.  In roto leagues (which is what I play) punting categories doesn't really work...if you are punting more than one category you aren't going to win a roto league.

 

So in roto leagues, KD is far superior to Giannis because KD provides a positive impact in every category (he's actually been a slight liability in STLs this year, but his career average in STLs has been a positive impact).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2017 at 3:23 PM, FootballFan101 said:

 

 

It comes down to what type of league you play in.  In roto leagues (which is what I play) punting categories doesn't really work...if you are punting more than one category you aren't going to win a roto league.

 

So in roto leagues, KD is far superior to Giannis because KD provides a positive impact in every category (he's actually been a slight liability in STLs this year, but his career average in STLs has been a positive impact).

 

 

 

Even in Roto League why is KD far superior ?

 

at the moment.

KD gets : FT%, 3PT, AST, BLK

Giannis get: FG%, REB, PTS, TO, STL

 

so Giannis gets 5 out of 9 categories and AST could actually go either way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nightfall said:

 

Even in Roto League why is KD far superior ?

 

at the moment.

KD gets : FT%, 3PT, AST, BLK

Giannis get: FG%, REB, PTS, TO, STL

 

so Giannis gets 5 out of 9 categories and AST could actually go either way.

 

KD doesn't get points or rebounds or steals? or has good fg%? might not be better in a specific category but Durant performs in EVERY category and thats why he is so valuable especially in ROTO formats.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course he does, I am just comparing stats category on who is better right now in each cat.

The only one that Giannis is way behind is 3pts. But that can probably be covered depending on your team.

I am not saying that by the end of season Giannis will be better, but I dispute the fact that KD is by far a better choice.

 

The other extra advantage is that if you judge by the last 3 seasons , KD is more likely to miss games (35 missed games vs 6)  than Giannis,

Edited by Nightfall
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nightfall said:

Of course he does, I am just comparing stats category on who is better right now in each cat.

The only one that Giannis is way behind is 3pts. But that can probably be covered depending on your team.

I am not saying that by the end of season Giannis will be better, but I dispute the fact that KD is by far a better choice.

 

The other extra advantage is that if you judge by the last 3 seasons , KD is more likely to miss games (35 missed games vs 6)  than Giannis,

 

they were both top 5 picks and I agree that one doesn't exceed each other "by far" but one is clearly better in roto and one is not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nightfall said:

 

Even in Roto League why is KD far superior ?

 

at the moment.

KD gets : FT%, 3PT, AST, BLK

Giannis get: FG%, REB, PTS, TO, STL

 

so Giannis gets 5 out of 9 categories and AST could actually go either way.

 

My league is 8 cat, so it doesn't have TO.

 

Anyways, the reason I said that is because KD is way better than Giannis in FT% and especially 3PTS while the other categories are all pretty close.  In roto leagues (unlike head-to-head), you can't afford to punt any categories so someone like KD who provides a positive impact in every category is priceless.  (He's actually been a slight liability in STLs this year, but his career average in STLs has been a positive impact).

 

Maybe saying "WAY better" wasn't the best choice of words.  But I think KD is clearly better in roto leagues, and it would be very hard to make a case for taking Giannis over KD (especially with Bledsoe in MIL now).

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, taenggg said:

STOCKS WHERE ART THOU

 

Only 2 blocks total in his last 9 games.  Incredible for a guy that averaged 1.9 blocks per game last year.

 

I drafted Giannis and Whiteside with my first two picks and I can't get a block to save my life.  I remember Yahoo's projected stats during the drafts projected that I was going to get over 100 more blocks than any other team, and I was actually worried that I went too block-heavy and hence would be wasting a lot of blocks.  Instead, I'm currently DEAD LAST in my league in blocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

 

Only 2 blocks total in his last 9 games.  Incredible for a guy that averaged 1.9 blocks per game last year.

 

I drafted Giannis and Whiteside with my first two picks and I can't get a block to save my life.  I remember Yahoo's projected stats during the drafts projected that I was going to get over 100 more blocks than any other team, and I was actually worried that I went too block-heavy and hence would be wasting a lot of blocks.  Instead, I'm currently DEAD LAST in my league in blocks.

just off watching the games the defensive effort is definitely not the same when compared to earlier in the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, taenggg said:

just off watching the games the defensive effort is definitely not the same when compared to earlier in the season.

 

Giannis has really tailed off since the beginning of November.  I figured a lot was due to the arrival of Bledsoe (a selfish shoot-first PG who doesn't space the floor), but the arrival of Bledsoe really can't explain the lack of blocks.  I wonder how healthy Giannis's knee is.  Overall, I wouldn't call Giannis a bust even relative to his lofty ADP, but I was definitely expecting more.

 

Whiteside on the other hand has been, for my money, the biggest fantasy bust this year.  Hardly been able to stay on the court, and even when he does play, he's been getting low minutes and his productivity has dropped dramatically from the last two years especially in blocks.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hardyharhar said:

He averaged 2.3 blocks and 1.7 steals in November...damn. At least his assists seem to have come back up.

And bledsoe was already there. Maybe he hates jason kidd now and his unconventional coaching

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing I can say that I'm disappointed with Giannis this year is the 3-point shooting. I remember reading somewhere in the offseason about him working hard on his shot. If the dude develops that 3 ball, good luck everyone else.

Edited by VelvetMerkin
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...