NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giannis Antetokounmpo 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Did he not get credited with a rebound in the last couple of 

minutes? I'm gonna rewatch the last 4 minutes coulda swore he had 11 total..... anyways how about those  two 3 bangers at the end!

Edited by Gambit04
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't believe I've had ticket to see Giannis play the Sixers tonight for months and then of course he isn't playing.  Incredible

MIL office must have read this post of yours and decided, "We will not be fooled anymore!" lol

What you all are "building"? If undisputed TOP5 pick is hard to "build" then something is wrong. Don't "build", but just make a team.

Posted Images

Yeah, made 2 consecutive 3s inside the final 2 minutes. I was hoping for the 3rd one to go in. A foul should have been called before those 3s against Irving when it was him and Middleton on the break but the refs let the play go on.

Boston contained him well. Horford was exceptional both offensive and defensive , Giannis also had trouble guarding Kyrie. The main problem is that when he is double teamed he doesn't have any help from the other  teammates. 

Good stat line though. As a Bucks fan I feel bad for the loss. As a fantasy player I am glad I have Giannis and Horford :D .

2 hours ago, Nightfall said:

As a Bucks fan I feel bad for the loss. 

As a Bucks' fan, are you concerned about how poor of a job management has done surrounding Giannis?  Middleton and Brogdon are the only other above average players on that team and neither of them is close to being a star.  I know they've had some bad luck that Parker keeps tearing his ACL, but even before that, I don't think Parker was anywhere near good enough to be your 2nd best player on a championship caliber team.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

As a Bucks' fan, are you concerned about how poor of a job management has done surrounding Giannis?  Middleton and Brogdon are the only other above average players on that team and neither of them is close to being a star.  I know they've had some bad luck that Parker keeps tearing his ACL, but even before that, I don't think Parker was anywhere near good enough to be your 2nd best player on a championship caliber team.

Absolutely :D Don't get me started on the management decisions and on J.Kidd. I can be quite objective as I admit I am a new fan and came to know the Bucks through Giannis , and loved the idea of young coach , players and build a team for the future. They struck gold with Giannis, but have made so many decisions.over the years and we are still waiting for the future. In te meantime :

1. Tied to much money in a group of 2nd and 3rd Tier Centers

2. Now they try to make Maker a Center, who never played his life as one and only has the height and no strength, nor good positioning 

3. Signed for 10+ M/ year scrubs like Delly and Telly

4. Kidd might be responsible for Giannis development, but as a coach, his rotations suck, and he can draw a play even if his life depends on it

5. No salary space unless we unload something and  you fill the team with veterans and waivers

A starter SG with good 3pt and D, Snell is a good backup but not starter

A dominating C good on defence

Would be a good place to start,  but apparently all this years no one sees it.

Edited by Nightfall
3 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

When healthy I do believe Parker is a solid #2 on this team. This team will look a lot better when he returns, and if he can return to pre acl Parker. 

1 hour ago, Nightfall said:

1. Tied to much money in a group of 2nd and 3rd Tier Centers

2. Now they try to make Maker a Center, who never played his life as one and only has the height and no strength, nor good positioning 

3. Signed for 10+ M/ year scrubs like Delly and Telly

4. Kidd might be responsible for Giannis development, but as a coach, his rotations suck, and he can draw a play even if his life depends on it

5. No salary space unless we unload something and  you fill the team with veterans and waivers

I agree with this but they have also made some great moves as well. Giannis is extremely young (22 as of now) so it is not like they have to hurry before his prime is over as he hasn't even reached it yet (scary right?). With Giannis I think it is clear that he has the potential to be a once in a generation type of talent alas Lebron. If this is the case, assuming no injuries he has at least 10 years from now of this type of production. Free agency will be more lucrative for the Bucks as well as star players will be more willing to come to the Bucks now that they have a super star . They have pieces that they could move for trades as well. 

1. 1. They drafted AND developed a generational talent. 
  2. 2. They hired Jason Kidd - instrumental in Giannis's growth which at a minimum has been worth his contract. Plus the Bucks made the playoffs. 
  3. 3. Drafted last year's rookie of the year.
  4. 4. Traded Brandon Knight for Khris Middleton which turned out to be a great trade. 
  5. 5. Drafted Jabari Parker - let's not forget about him. Yes he has been riddled by injuries, but if he gets and remains healthy he has all-star talent. 

I guess my point is that it takes time to build a championship team. I don't mean buy one, but building one from the ground up through the draft, and trades. In my opinion overall the management team has done a great job digging this franchise from the trenches to playoffs relevancy. They only won 33 games just two years ago (2015), made the playoffs last year, and look to be better this year.

They are only an all-star player away from a championship caliber roster (assuming Brogdon develops into an All-star at some point in his career, and Jabari is healthy). The next step for this franchise is to build around Giannis but in all honesty I don't think they thought he would get this good, and this fast. Heck, I don't think anyone did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, tremixt said:

When healthy I do believe Parker is a solid #2 on this team. This team will look a lot better when he returns, and if he can return to pre acl Parker. 

Really?  You really think Parker is an adequate 2nd best player on a championship caliber team?  Even if Parker can return to his pre ACL form (definitely no given), you really don't think that the Warriors have FOUR players who are better than Parker by a significant margin?

9 hours ago, adifferentlogik said:

I agree with this but they have also made some great moves as well. Giannis is extremely young (22 as of now) so it is not like they have to hurry before his prime is over as he hasn't even reached it yet (scary right?). With Giannis I think it is clear that he has the potential to be a once in a generation type of talent alas Lebron. If this is the case, assuming no injuries he has at least 10 years from now of this type of production. Free agency will be more lucrative for the Bucks as well as star players will be more willing to come to the Bucks now that they have a super star . They have pieces that they could move for trades as well. 

1. 1. They drafted AND developed a generational talent. 
  2. 2. They hired Jason Kidd - instrumental in Giannis's growth which at a minimum has been worth his contract. Plus the Bucks made the playoffs. 
  3. 3. Drafted last year's rookie of the year.
  4. 4. Traded Brandon Knight for Khris Middleton which turned out to be a great trade. 
  5. 5. Drafted Jabari Parker - let's not forget about him. Yes he has been riddled by injuries, but if he gets and remains healthy he has all-star talent. 

I guess my point is that it takes time to build a championship team. I don't mean buy one, but building one from the ground up through the draft, and trades. In my opinion overall the management team has done a great job digging this franchise from the trenches to playoffs relevancy. They only won 33 games just two years ago (2015), made the playoffs last year, and look to be better this year.

They are only an all-star player away from a championship caliber roster (assuming Brogdon develops into an All-star at some point in his career, and Jabari is healthy). The next step for this franchise is to build around Giannis but in all honesty I don't think they thought he would get this good, and this fast. Heck, I don't think anyone did. 

You make some good points and provide some pretty well thought out analysis.   However, here's a few things I would say in response:

1.  While Giannis is only 22, I'm not sure the Bucks necessarily have 10 years to put a good supporting cast around him.  I say that because his contract is up in 4 years, and while Giannis seems like a good loyal person and I hope he stays, if Bucks management doesn't put together a team that at least has a chance to win a championship by then, he could walk.

2.  While Brogdon, Middleton, and Parker (when healthy) are good players, are any of them really an adequate 2nd best player on a championship caliber team?  In recent memory, has any team won it all without a 2nd All-Star caliber player?  Even when LeBron was at the very peak of his career in 2008-2009 and 2009-2010, he couldn't win a title without a 2nd All-Star.  Especially when you look at what Golden State has now, I think it would hard to make an argument that a team with Brogdon/Middleton/Parker as their 2nd best player could beat them.

3.  While the Bucks management has been some good moves (which you mentioned above), I just can't give them a free pass for the Matthew Dellavedova signing.  I just can't.  At best, Delle is a slightly above replacement level player.  Why on earth would you give a guy like that a 4 year, $38 million contract?  They could have gotten someone just as good or almost as good for the minimum.  While Bucks management got unlucky with Parker getting hurt, the Delle contract was a horrible move that was never justifiable.  As a small market team, you simply can't throw away money like that.  The Bucks have almost no cap space to add another All Star and the Delle contract is a big reason why.

28 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Really?  You really think Parker is an adequate 2nd best player on a championship caliber team?  Even if Parker can return to his pre ACL form (definitely no given), you really don't think that the Warriors have FOUR players who are better than Parker by a significant margin?

He was playing really well prior to the acl last year. Showed a ton of progression. Can't really say what he'll like now after two acl injuries, but when healthy, with the way he was progressing, I think he was a solid #2 to Giannis. 

7 minutes ago, tremixt said:

He was playing really well prior to the acl last year. Showed a ton of progression. Can't really say what he'll like now after two acl injuries, but when healthy, with the way he was progressing, I think he was a solid #2 to Giannis. 

He was playing well before he got hurt, it's a shame it happened like that.  However, I'm not talking about being a #2 option on a good team that wins one or two rounds.  I'm talking about being a #2 on a championship caliber team.  Honestly, do you think that a healthy Parker in his pre-ACL form gives the Bucks (with their present roster) a chance to beat the Warriors and win a championship?

Personally, I don't think there's any chance.  I hate the Warriors (especially Draymond and Zaza), so it hurts me to say, but I just don't.  I think the Warriors have FOUR players that are clearly superior to any of Brogdon, Middleton, and Parker.

Edited by FootballFan101

Offensively Jabari is amazing, however he is a liability on the defense. My biggest dream is pairing Giannis with a good Center, who is monster on D. Like Gobert.

Then you could utilize Jabari better. Brogdon, Snell, Jabari, Giannis, Gobert could cover Jabari's D issues, Snell might not appear like a solid contender starter bur would hit the open 3s and plays D without wanting a max contract.

Brogdon has high BBIQ and is solid. Giannis's assists would rise and with Jabari and Gobert they would dominate the paint.

Edited by Nightfall
On 10/28/2017 at 2:26 AM, FootballFan101 said:

He was playing well before he got hurt, it's a shame it happened like that.  However, I'm not talking about being a #2 option on a good team that wins one or two rounds.  I'm talking about being a #2 on a championship caliber team.  Honestly, do you think that a healthy Parker in his pre-ACL form gives the Bucks (with their present roster) a chance to beat the Warriors and win a championship?

Personally, I don't think there's any chance.  I hate the Warriors (especially Draymond and Zaza), so it hurts me to say, but I just don't.  I think the Warriors have FOUR players that are clearly superior to any of Brogdon, Middleton, and Parker.

It was only his 3rd year in the league also, and he was showing a lot of progression despite the previous injury. Not saying he was one already, but he showed promise and may have become that #2 a championship caliber team needs. He still could be, though it's very hard to guess what he'll be like after another ACL injury.

With the team the Bucks have they shouldn't even be looking at GSW right now, or a spot in the finals. Despite the lines Giannis puts up (and how dominant he is IRL) I still don't see him beating a LeBron-led team right now, or a team with 3 superstars like GSW. The Bucks should be doing the same thing Boston is doing; build a team that's ready to take over the East post-LeBron. And they are to some degree I think. Though an additional star player wouldn't hurt two years from now imo.

4 hours ago, Nightfall said:

Offensively Jabari is amazing, however he is a liability on the defense. My biggest dream is pairing Giannis with a good Center, who is monster on D. Like Gobert.

Then you could utilize Jabari better. Brogdon, Snell, Jabari, Giannis, Gobert could cover Jabari's D issues, Snell might not appear like a solid contender starter bur would hit the open 3s and plays D without wanting a max contract.

Brogdon has high BBIQ and is solid. Giannis's assists would rise and with Jabari and Gobert they would dominate the paint.

Gobert would be great on the Bucks, but how are they going to get someone like him?  They have no cap space to sign a big name free agent after the way they totally wasted $10 million a year on Matthew Dellavedova who at best is slightly better than a replacement-level NBA player.  And they would likely have to give up 2 of Middleton, Brogdon, and Parker to get a star of Gobert's caliber in a trade.