NBC Sports Edge Forums

Victor Oladipo 2017-2018 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, atrium said:

Oladipo doesn't have 'heavy blocks', he averages 0.4 more blocks. Not a league winning difference there. Lillard also averages 2 more assists per game than Dipo, and has a more proven track record.

Regardless of Lillard's recent hot streak, he has been a more valuable 9 cat player this entire season than Dipo has (he's ranked 8th on the season to Dipo's 10th).

Heavy blocks for a guard, yes. I bet you can't name 3 other point guards who average 0.7 blocks or more. 0.7 means many games he will get you 1 block. almost all teams produce the least amount of stats in blocks, so every single one can help swing the category, when you have a guard that can easily average 4 in a 4 game week, it's a big advantage to most guards who will average between 0 and 1. 

I didn't say oladipo is more valuable or should be drafted ahead of lillard, i simply said they have the same value this year essentially and I don't think anyone can reasonably disagree with that. Also, even with dipo's amazing season, I can all but guarantee you lillard will still get drafted significantly earlier, or for significantly more auction $ because of precisely what you said, longer track record (and much bigger name value as first/second rounder). i suspect next season in a lot of leagues dipo will still come a lot cheaper and he will be the better value.

Edited by richg24
  • Like 2
  • Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DO RE ME FA SO LA DI PO This man will have all of us singing by the end of the season   

Hear that guys..? That's the sound of Oladipo shattering his ADP. He's been killlllling it...don't see him losing any steam either could be even more efficient with Turner back. Be shocked if he doesn

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Heavy blocks for a guard, yes. I bet you can't name 3 other point guards who average 0.7 blocks or more. 0.7 means many games he will get you 1 block. almost all teams produce the least amount of stats in blocks, so every single one can help swing the category, when you have a guard that can easily average 4 in a 4 game week, it's a big advantage to most guards who will average between 0 and 1. 

I didn't say oladipo is more valuable or should be drafted ahead of lillard, i simply said they have the same value this year essentially and I don't think anyone can reasonably disagree with that. Also, even with dipo's amazing season, I can all but guarantee you lillard will still get drafted significantly earlier, or for significantly more auction $ because of precisely what you said, longer track record (and much bigger name value as first/second rounder). i suspect next season in a lot of leagues dipo will still come a lot cheaper and he will be the better value.

For what it's worth, there are 4 PGs this season who average more blocks than Dipo (Wall, Simmons, Richardson, Ball) and there are 3 more that average 0.7 (Wade, Harden, Holiday).

I actually agree with you. I would still draft Lillard ahead of Dipo every time, but it's close. They are both end of 1st, early 2nd round picks next year for me.

• Like 1

Drafting Dame vs Vic is pretty much choosing between fg% or ft%, a handful of assists plus a three vs double the defensive stats.

The rebounds, points, and TO are all close enough to be negligible.

Personally would rather pick Vic for the defensive stats as it’s easier to compensate for the 1 three, 2 assists elsewhere (plus he’s younger and more athletic).

Picking Vic would allow me to grab 2-3 early bigs without being useless at steals

B77E48D1-E49A-452A-B8AD-D63F82C2D5E5.jpeg

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mikhov said:

Drafting Dame vs Vic is pretty much choosing between fg% or ft%, a handful of assists plus a three vs double the defensive stats.

The rebounds, points, and TO are all close enough to be negligible.

Personally would rather pick Vic for the defensive stats as it’s easier to compensate for the 1 three, 2 assists elsewhere (plus he’s younger and more athletic).

Picking Vic would allow me to grab 2-3 early bigs without being useless at steals

this guy gets it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Mikhov said:

Why would you draft bigs early when you already drafted Oladipo for "big man" stats? Unless you're punting Ft%, asts and 3's, this build makes no sense.  It makes more sense to draft big men to go with Lillard to compensate his FG%, Rebs, Blks and TOs. 

7 minutes ago, JoeNoIngles said:

Why would you draft bigs early when you already drafted Oladipo for "big man" stats? Unless you're punting Ft%, asts and 3's, this build makes no sense.  It makes more sense to draft big men to go with Lillard to compensate his FG%, Rebs, Blks and TOs. 

Many people play auction man so you aren't limited to taking who is available when they come to you...meaning you can still draft early or elite bigs with oladipo, and still get plenty of points 3s and assists if you know what you are doing. In snake it is much harder, but after playing auction the last two years I will never go back to snake again, it's a luckfest of your draft position and also who is drafting in front of you or behind you. 

You can draft someone like KAT for example, who is a drain on steals, with oladipo who will fully cover that deficiency. drafting lillard with towns on the otherhand will put you at a sizeable disadvantage for steals if those are your top 2 guys (auction or snake). It's actually amazing to pair oladipo with lillard when you think about it, because lillards only two weaknesses are really steals and fg% (although his fg% is better this year than it has been), and oladipo is a steal monster, and high fg% guy for a pg (until the last two weeks or so lol..)

14 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Many people play auction man so you aren't limited to taking who is available when they come to you...meaning you can still draft early or elite bigs with oladipo, and still get plenty of points 3s and assists if you know what you are doing. In snake it is much harder, but after playing auction the last two years I will never go back to snake again, it's a luckfest of your draft position and also who is drafting in front of you or behind you. 

You can draft someone like KAT for example, who is a drain on steals, with oladipo who will fully cover that deficiency. drafting lillard with towns on the otherhand will put you at a sizeable disadvantage for steals if those are your top 2 guys (auction or snake). It's actually amazing to pair oladipo with lillard when you think about it, because lillards only two weaknesses are really steals and fg% (although his fg% is better this year than it has been), and oladipo is a steal monster, and high fg% guy for a pg (until the last two weeks or so lol..)

It's funny that you brought this up because Town is the perfect complement to Lillard. High FG%, Rebs, Blks and low TOs. Not to mention he's elite at Ft% and contribute a few 3's. He also averages .8 stl a game. His .8 stl plus Lillard 1 stls would not put you in a SIZEABLE disadvantage. I think you are really overplaying Oladipo's steals here. 

On the other hand, if you draft Kat and Oladipo, you will have a sizeable disadvantage in assists.

Edited by JoeNoIngles
5 hours ago, JoeNoIngles said:

Because I can get out of position ft%, assists and threes from the multicat big men available in the next 2-3 rounds (Vuc, Marc,Horf). This also keeps my TO lower than a G heavy roster despite not directly punting.

Vic leads the league in steals and won’t destroy my fg% (47% even with his current no other scoring threat slump). He’s shooting 80% from the line, that’s hardly a punt ft percentage - he just can’t be your only  ft anchor. 2.4 threes per game isn’t punting threes either.

There aren’t any great big men past pick 50 while there are lots of wings that can hit threes, steal or score (Bazemore, Hood, Warren, Carroll, RHJ, KCP) closer to or past pick 100

There is a 2.1 apg difference between him and Lillard, that’s not huge. You can probably even it out with a late mid Dinwiddie, Rubio pick.

Darren Collison is back tonight, let's see if Oladipo's FG% trends back up, like a poster mentioned a few pages ago – Collison spreads the floor better than CoJo, helping Vic get better driving lanes and thus, better shot attempts.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, CFN said:

Darren Collison is back tonight, let's see if Oladipo's FG% trends back up, like a poster mentioned a few pages ago – Collison spreads the floor better than CoJo, helping Vic get better driving lanes and thus, better shot attempts.

I have both and Oladipo definitely plays better when Collison is on the floor. 

His black panther powers are gone. I really expect him this offseason work out on better j, FT! His layup game is one of the best this year. I Still stand with 11- 15 average draft pick next year. He is stealing and blocking in almost every game. If he gets his fg and ft up, no doubt he is a top 10 player in league.

1 hour ago, Mambamode said:

His black panther powers are gone. I really expect him this offseason work out on better j, FT! His layup game is one of the best this year. I Still stand with 11- 15 average draft pick next year. He is stealing and blocking in almost every game. If he gets his fg and ft up, no doubt he is a top 10 player in league.

Watched the game, credit his garbage fg% to the refs, ton of no calls on his attempts like they really wanted PHI to win (or give CLE the 3rd seed). He’s a reliable shooter but he gets most of his looks from the top of the key off a PnP with Myles and it’s obvious that the scouting reports have that covered post ASB.

His fg% is elite for a guard and 80% from the line is fine - he’ll get more calls next year once as he should have seriously earned a lot of respect for what he’s put out this season.

You can actually make a case for him being a top 10 player this season, this was supposed to be a rebuild - but they’re 3rd in the east with Myles, Thadd or Darren as the next overall best players (up in the air).

Part of me wants Kawhi to sign with IND once he’s a FA as a core of Dipo, healthy Kawhi and Turner will be absolutely monstrous on both ends as the young blood develops and Kawhi does his thing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JoeNoIngles said:

What is wrong with this guy? He's killing me! Anybody still thinks he's better than Lillard. 

He was in december, but right now he is far from Lillard. They might switch spots you know as Lillard is also know as notorious shot jacker and when it doesnt fly in it could be for more than 1 game with that guy.

2 hours ago, JoeNoIngles said:

What is wrong with this guy? He's killing me! Anybody still thinks he's better than Lillard. 

He also iced that game with a nasty crossover and dagger 3. When i was talking about being as good or better than lillard, I was talking about fantasy value. But even in real life value, there is a strong argument to be made that he has been as valuable (or more) than lillard. Everyone, and i mean everyone, assumed pacers would be one of bottom teams in the league this season. Oladipo has carried the s--- out of that squad to a solid winning record, and that was even with their 2nd best player, myles turner, being pretty bad for 3/4 of the season. Lillard is way hotter than oladipo right now, no doubt. Lillard's confidence is through the roof and oladipo's might be wavering a little bit because his shot is off. They're both studs deserving of honourable mention MVP status. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, richg24 said:

He also iced that game with a nasty crossover and dagger 3. When i was talking about being as good or better than lillard, I was talking about fantasy value. But even in real life value, there is a strong argument to be made that he has been as valuable (or more) than lillard. Everyone, and i mean everyone, assumed pacers would be one of bottom teams in the league this season. Oladipo has carried the s--- out of that squad to a solid winning record, and that was even with their 2nd best player, myles turner, being pretty bad for 3/4 of the season. Lillard is way hotter than oladipo right now, no doubt. Lillard's confidence is through the roof and oladipo's might be wavering a little bit because his shot is off. They're both studs deserving of honourable mention MVP status. 

You were wrong, please don't help start this stupid discussion back up. Lillard has been better than Oladipo in fantasy every year of his career. Dame is in his 4th straight season in the Top 20. Oladipo is about to have his 2nd inside the Top 50. There is 0 sane argument for drafting Vic higher, and I only own Vic and went to IU. 

Edited by miasma16
2 hours ago, miasma16 said:

You were wrong, please don't help start this stupid discussion back up. Lillard has been better than Oladipo in fantasy every year of his career. Dame is in his 4th straight season in the Top 20. Oladipo is about to have his 2nd inside the Top 50. There is 0 sane argument for drafting Vic higher, and I only own Vic and went to IU. 

Oladipo: 23.7 pts, 2.2 threes, 5.3 rebs,  4.3 ast, 2.2 steals, 0.8 blks, .474 fg, .804 ft%, 3.0 t/o

Lillard:   26.9 pts, 3.3 threes, 4.5 rebs, 6.5 ast, 1.0 steals, 0.4 blks, .446 fg%, .907 ft%, 3.1 t/o

Oladipo wins 5 cats, Lillard 4 cats. 

Season rank: Lillard 10, Oladipo 12

By all objective measures they are virtually the same value this year.

Also mpg, Lillard 36.5, Oladipo 34.3. Give dipo 2 more min per game and his stats increase a bit more too. 

Try to find one post where i said you should draft oladipo higher than lillard though, i'll wait...