NBC Sports Edge Forums

Victor Oladipo 2017-2018 Season Outlook

8 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

The question is why his steals dropped so significantly last year and why we think that won't happen this year. 

Not sure exactly, but I think he just felt left out of the team last year with a role player role so his heart wasn't in it. On offense all he could do was stand in the corners when westbrook playing and shoot catch and shoot jumpers, which is why his 3s at least went up from previous years.

Preseason so far he has produced super elite steals in under 30 mpg. Also, typically when players have an elite rim protector behind them they are able and told to gamble more for steals and jumping into passing lanes and Dipo has Myles behind him who is one of the best shot blockers in the league. 

He was also always known for steals and it makes more sense that he will return to at least orlando steal numbers. No guarantee but at least early on it is looking that way

• Like 2
  • Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DO RE ME FA SO LA DI PO This man will have all of us singing by the end of the season   

Hear that guys..? That's the sound of Oladipo shattering his ADP. He's been killlllling it...don't see him losing any steam either could be even more efficient with Turner back. Be shocked if he doesn

Posted Images

I think Oladipo will have an improved year from a fantasy perspective.  Last year was weird for him playing w/ westbrook who dominates every play, he was forced to be something he's not as a spot up shooter.

Now he can be more of the focal point with Myles as the combo guard that can handle the ball.

I also think playing in Indy with a city that has his back and doesn't have expectations will help him. He was sent to OKC to be some sort of replacement/place holder post KD and he could never live up to that.

His efficiency will never be great, but I project around 16PPG 4.5RBP 3.8APG 1.7SPG 43FG% 1.5 3PT

He has talent. He now has HUGE opportunity. To me this means he has a really good year. The worst case scenario here is high volumes and low efficiency and still in the top 50. The best case is top 30, aka. where he was projected in the past before playing alongside the black hole.

Edited by Spyplane
On 10/11/2017 at 8:03 AM, richg24 said:

Not sure exactly, but I think he just felt left out of the team last year with a role player role so his heart wasn't in it. On offense all he could do was stand in the corners when westbrook playing and shoot catch and shoot jumpers, which is why his 3s at least went up from previous years.

Preseason so far he has produced super elite steals in under 30 mpg. Also, typically when players have an elite rim protector behind them they are able and told to gamble more for steals and jumping into passing lanes and Dipo has Myles behind him who is one of the best shot blockers in the league. 

He was also always known for steals and it makes more sense that he will return to at least orlando steal numbers. No guarantee but at least early on it is looking that way

I think playing with Westbrook really sapped him on offense. Being a budding "star" to being a role player is just some sh*t for a young player to deal with. My theory on steals/defense last year was VO was probably guarding the floor spacer on defense for a good portion of the game. Roberson takes the best wing. Westbrook takes the point. VO probably guarded the dude everyone loves to draft in 9 cat, you know, the ones that just sit there for open 3's, never really penetrate or try to create, and just make safe passes around the perimeter.

I'm all about VO this year. People seem to forget the context of Oladipo's development. 

Year 1: Nothing crazy. Pretty bad draft. Got the poor man's DWade comp. 

Year 2: Took a huge step. 18/4/4 with 2 stocks and 1.2 triples. People were talking top 25 player heading into Year 3. He was going top 3 rounds in 8 cat if I remember correctly.

Year 3: Scott f*cking Skiles. Remember that year where Skiles just f*cked him. I believe he had a concussion. Skiles did some crazy rotation stuff. Put Dipo as the 6th man for a stretch. And he still put up top 35 value on a down year that I blame 100% on Skiles (no wonder he only lasted 1 year as coach). 16/5/4 with 2.4 stocks, 1.4 triples. But the crazy thing about that year is people forget about his post-ASB line of 19.4/5.1/3.7 with 3.3 stocks, 1.4 triples, 47.4% and 82%. 

Year 4: Skiles is gone, but so is Dipo to the land of fantasy death playing alongside Westbrook.

Year 5: Back to a situation like he had in Orlando, only without the worst fantasy coach of all-time Scott Skiles. Arguably a better spot since I think DC will be less of a ball dominant PG than what the Magic did with Elfrid in his sophomore season in Dipo's 3rd year. 

I think his floor is 18/4.5/4 with 2 stocks and 1.4 triples. 

I think his realistic upside is 20/5/5 with 2.5+ stocks and 2 triples. That puts him in the fringe top 25 in 8 cat and you are getting him around 20-30 picks after that. Pretty nice risk/reward IMO. 

• Like 2

1st round value boys! B)

In all seriousness he's finally being allowed to purely be a primary scoring option SG, rather than being forced into a Westbrook mold in Orlando and playing next to the real usage rate vampire Westbrook.  

Edited by Crazycanto