NBC Sports Edge Forums

Gary Harris 2017-2018 Season Outlook

While I'm not upset about tonight's line, I'm actually concerned about his peripheral stats. I'm punting FG and TO, and I think I'd be able to get someone with like 14-4-6-2 for Harris, who could benefit me a bit more.

Though I'm completely content with Gary and the price I paid for him

Edited by tongs
  • Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you drop harris for anyone of those guys You'll lose your league

Posted Images

5 hours ago, tongs said:

While I'm not upset about tonight's line, I'm actually concerned about his peripheral stats. I'm punting FG and TO, and I think I'd be able to get someone with like 14-4-6-2 for Harris, who could benefit me a bit more.

Though I'm completely content with Gary and the price I paid for him

punt FG is not a good strategy to own him in as that is his biggest strength and unique contribution for his position.

8 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

punt FG is not a good strategy to own him in as that is his biggest strength and unique contribution for his position.

Yep.. that's exactly it. You should not target him if you're looking for multi-cat and punt FG, your target would be the opposite - a Marcus Smart for example, or a Covington.

Harris plays beautifully for my team, overall balance / FG% being strongest. 

2 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

Yep.. that's exactly it. You should not target him if you're looking for multi-cat and punt FG, your target would be the opposite - a Marcus Smart for example, or a Covington.

I was partially wrong, when predicted Harris to fail again, but he was not good also at his 4th game. If you say to be satisfied, I am clearly not. He don't help my team too much. I just saw he is only 163rd player at Yahoo current rank, how it can be good? And what is overall balance? 3 rebs, 2 ast, 1 stl, 2 threes - maybe it is balance, but in low level. And ast/to rate is 1,0...

Edited by apatas

Chill tf out, its game 4 and theres adjustments to be made with Millsap. Gary has progressed every year hes been in the league. Did you not witness how he performed after coming back from injury last season? He was a rock solid efficient beast!

Edited by TheOneAboveAll
Personal attack
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, ROTY said:

Chill tf out, its game 4 and theres adjustments to be made with Millsap. Gary has progressed every year hes been in the league. Did you not witness how he performed after coming back from injury last season? He was a rock solid efficient beast!

I can't drop, it is deep league. I just offered a trade Harris+Bayless for Collison+Chalmers. That shows how low I am in Harris and this is not trolling, I just don't like low producing players.

30 minutes ago, apatas said:

I was partially wrong, when predicted Harris to fail again, but he was not good also at his 4th game. If you say to be satisfied, I am clearly not. He don't help my team too much. I just saw he is only 163rd player at Yahoo current rank, how it can be good? And what is overall balance? 3 rebs, 2 ast, 1 stl, 2 threes - maybe it is balance, but in low level. And ast/to rate is 1,0...

4 games and 163rd player rank.  How it can be good?  

People, don't be mad at me: I came here sincerely to express my disappointment that I drafted Harris at #59. I am really angry to myself that I didn't pick players who were available at that time: Melo, Adams, Tobias Harris, Covington and some others. I am not fool to talk about this, but I was fool when I let to deceive myself by hype. I have always said: don't believe on hype, but I somehow thought that #59 is maybe justified and only TOP50 is hype. Now I see I failed completely. I just try to trade him and then I never come back to this thread.

Edited by apatas
1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

4 games and 163rd player rank.  How it can be good?  

He's 126th on Yahoo 9-cat and 129th on BBM 9-cat.

Looking at his stat line, his points are a little lower (2 or 3) and his steals are a little lower (.2 difference) from last years 56th overall finish. He's shooting 2 percent lower (which is not a huge difference) and 50% from the line at this point. I can almost guarantee you once his FT% normalizes to 77-78% his rank will go back up and you won't be questioning his rank anymore.

Edited by lbjames6
7 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

He's 126th on Yahoo 9-cat and 129th on BBM 9-cat.

Looking at his stat line, his points are a little lower (2 or 3) and his steals are a little lower (.2 difference) from last years 56th overall finish. He's shooting 2 percent lower (which is not a huge difference) and 50% from the line at this point. I can almost guarantee you once his FT% normalizes to 77-78% his rank will go back up and you won't be questioning his rank anymore.

You need to turn on your sarcasm meter ?

Saw the entire game and it was clear that Millsap didnt look comfortable. Don't think it's the age that is affecting him too much. He just looks lost and lazy on defense, and the ball movement seems to stop with Murray. With Murray, Harris, Chandler, Millsap, and Jokic in the lineup, it was jokic that tried to facilitate the ball while everyone was bricking. Coach needs to make adjustments to the lineup to make this work. While Harris saved his stats with 4 threes at the end, rest of the team was not in sync. Heck, even ball hog chandler was hesitant to shoot and barton airballed two of his threes. After that, barton refused to take perimeter shots. Jokic ended the game with 0 assists for the first time since beginning of last season lol

Everyone on the Nuggets are being affected by the new lineup, but Gary Harris and Jokic are the only two that seem safe with starting job.

Btw please bring Bledsoe to the Nuggets. Hate seeing Mudiay play lol it's painful to watch. 

2 hours ago, apatas said:

Yeah, because a player's stats during the first 4 (!) games of the season are exactly what his production will be ROS; 4 games is such a good sample size in basketball..

His TO have always been lower than 2, and have been trending down since his rookie season. Why on earth would you bring up his AST:TO after 4 games in which he had a couple of TO? There is not a chance he'll finish with close to 3 TO per game over the season.

With your logic Capela and Fournier are locks for first round value this year, you know seeing how they have returned it over the first couple of games.

And realize that guys who have a game that revolves around shooting the 3 are more prone to having a dud game here and there than a big man. Even with those games, I still expect him to shoot for that elite FG% for his position. 

Plus even when he has a rough shooting night he will often provide value in other areas--for example on the 23rd still got 5 rebounds, 6 assists and a steal. 

28 minutes ago, bhkim814 said:

Saw the entire game and it was clear that Millsap didnt look comfortable. Don't think it's the age that is affecting him too much. He just looks lost and lazy on defense, and the ball movement seems to stop with Murray. With Murray, Harris, Chandler, Millsap, and Jokic in the lineup, it was jokic that tried to facilitate the ball while everyone was bricking. Coach needs to make adjustments to the lineup to make this work. While Harris saved his stats with 4 threes at the end, rest of the team was not in sync. Heck, even ball hog chandler was hesitant to shoot and barton airballed two of his threes. After that, barton refused to take perimeter shots. Jokic ended the game with 0 assists for the first time since beginning of last season lol

Everyone on the Nuggets are being affected by the new lineup, but Gary Harris and Jokic are the only two that seem safe with starting job.

Btw please bring Bledsoe to the Nuggets. Hate seeing Mudiay play lol it's painful to watch. 

The offense does look crazy out of synch. I think the addition of a traditional pg like Bledsoe would help tremendously. 

Nuggets need to pull a Watson and get rid of Malone immediately . 

And FYI they look out of sync at the moment because the assistant coach who was in charge of their offence last year left and Malone is completely useless. Terrible.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

6 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

I agree, but had to snag him for trade bait at the 7th round regardless of my team needs haha

Thread is hilarious :lol:...it's been FOUR games. Denver's been a total mess in general...the unicorn that is Jokic is even struggling. Give them time to get some chemistry going. GH is as solid as they come when it comes to  mid-rd SGs.

Can't believe some ppl already overreacting... I targeted GH in every league I was in this year. Missed him in one..I would GLADLY burn my #1 WW for this man during the 1st wk panic drops lol. Been sneaking in some offers for him too...owner was not having it.

• Like 3

There is a chance that Gary Harris does not finish where he finished last season. But that chance exists with every other player in the league. 

His YahooRank is largely attributed by his TOs which should settle down as season goes. Harris is sill getting his 3s and stls while shooting 49% fg.

I understand people complaining that when his %s are not there and when his TOs are abnomally high for GH's standard, his stats don't help as much. Same goes for most players who are known for their efficiencies. 

Gary Harris is shooting 49% FG, 2.5 threes, nearly identical stats in most categories except TOs.

On BBM for 9 cat, Harris is ranked 129 ahead of players like Jrue Holiday and Avery Bradley, and behind guys like Mejri, Temple, and Porzingis at 124th. (4 games people)

To demonstrate how much his TOs affected his ranking (which alot of people are panicking over) Harris jumps up over 30 spots when punting TOs. Now we need to remember that Harris usually BENEFITS from his low TOs, which makes us believe his rank should actually be even higher in 9cat if his TO numbers settle.

If he somehow averages over 2.5 TOs again for the next 5 to 7 games, I can't say anything lol. Heck maybe I'd consider dropping. But at least provide a better reasoning for your complaints before posting about a player. 

31 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

Thread is hilarious :lol:...it's been FOUR games.

This could potentially be my favorite thread of the season.  But...we need to have patience, it's a long fantasy basketball forum season and there's lots of threads that could get warm up and be hilarious too.  It's only October, I shouldn't be talking about my fave threads yet, but you can't help but think.

A nice underrated, buy low part of this thread is the guy legitimately not understanding that you don't need a player to be particularly "good" at any individual cat.  Someone who's giving you a positive contribution in every stat pulls a team together because he's not so great in one category that it's a waste to have him on your team if you're punting that category or already very good in it.  He literally just makes your team better at everything it was already average or good in.  That's invaluable.

I feel like there's people playing fantasy basketball that go "Okay first a guy to help me in points...now a guy to get rebounds...now a guy to get blocks...now assists..." etc etc, always targeting a guy that's great in one or two cats and feeling good about their team.  Not understanding that if you're getting someone that's a positive in basically every cat but not great in any, that it's the equivalent of being great in 2-3 cats.

But, again, there's people that make dumb hot take statements after one week, so who knows what else is out there.

Edited by Tom Chambers
  • Like 2

This thread highlights the beauty of fantasy basketball, and how easy it is to take advantage of panicking and impatient owners if you stay rational.

The Nuggets, unfortunately, are coached by an absolute moron - so i'm not shocked that its taking them a few games to figure things out. It took Malone until January last year to figure out that Jokic was their best center and needed to be playing ~30 minutes a night at least. They are in a really weird situation where they swapped out a traditional scoring wing for a power forward that also acts as a creator and put him next to a center that is their best passer/creator. They are still trying to figure out their point guard situation and they have Barton coming in off the bench who is taking the ball out of the players hands that should have it. They need to play like Boston did last year in my opinion, but I dont think Malone is capable of pulling that off. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, tallball said:

His scoring was nice tonight, but the lack of peripheral stats is a worry. I guess I just expected too much from him. He did cost me only 1$ but still, there were better players on the board when I took him.

No there weren't, or there shouldn't have been. I honestly hate all these 'try playing in a competitive league next year' comments that you'll around these forums every now and then, but if you truly were able to grab Gary for $1 in an auction league I seriously question your league. Even in semi-competitive 8 teamers he should cost more than that.

Just got caught back up with this thread.  Pages 6-9 were absolute comedic gold with these people talking about potential drops and how he isn't any good.  Priceless.  Wouldn't draft him in the Top 100?  Hahaha.  Some people really are clueless.  He isn't going to go out and drop 10 dimes, or put up games of 30 points, or rebound like a center.  He's essentially Bradley Beal-lite with 8-10 less PPG.  Terrific FG% for a SG with nice contributions in  AST, STL and 3's.  There isn't a Nugget on the roster who isn't struggling through their first 4 games so things can only go up from here.  This is the perfect buy-low opportunity for Harris.

• Like 1