NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gary Harris 2017-2018 Season Outlook

turner46

Just now, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

This isn't anything new, though.

Barton has had incredible stretches throughout his whole career.

This is sort of new...he's getting the mins now. I don't recall him getting big mins. He even said that during an interview. He'd press because he didn't know how many mins he play so he'd try to do too much.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HispasianTuna said:

This guy is like a poor man's Ariza, but I don't see how some of you guys are saying he's a top 5 SG lol. 

Please back up your statement with this year's Ariza vs Gary Harris stat comparison because I have both on my team and have observed their stats very carefully throughout the season. And so far Gary is on top. 

I agree that he's not a top 5 SG. 

20 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

That experiment has been tried multiple times.

Barton has always flourished as a spark plug off the bench.

Has always struggled when given opportunities with starting unit/increased MPG. 

Where do you think Harris came from? Minutes shedded away from Barton when he inevitably cratered. 

Agree. Barton is a great sparkplug off the bench, and also has been better off the bench than as a starter. He's not a great fit with Jokic and Millsap controlling as he's not great at moving without the ball. 

35 minutes ago, MillenWasmyFavorite said:

This isn't anything new, though.

Barton has had incredible stretches throughout his whole career.

I know. I'm not saying it's new. But I don't think Harris is by far the best backcourt player on this team. 

People saying he's been excellent this year...idk I expected more from harris

Edited by IkeDola510

31 minutes ago, bhkim814 said:

Please back up your statement with this year's Ariza vs Gary Harris stat comparison because I have both on my team and have observed their stats very carefully throughout the season. And so far Gary is on top. 

I agree that he's not a top 5 SG. 

I haven't paid attention to Ariza this season, but I was comparing to the past season's Ariza that I know. 

Let me clear this up. 

Gary Harris is ranked #51 for the season so far playing at 31.6 minutes per game.

Will Barton is ranked #96 for the season, playing at 28.5 minutes per game. He has not broken top 90 even if we compare stats for last week's, last 2 weeks, and last month.

Harris is shooting 48% from field goal.

Barton is shooting 44% from field goal (not that bad for a sg). 

Both have not shot the ball well from the freethrow line, but Gary Harris is shooting .714 at only 0.6 attempts per game, while Barton is shooting .667 at 3.0 attempts per game which negatively affects fantasy teams.

Barton is a good player off the bench, but saying he's "looked" better than Harris at times, with the 2nd unit, doesn't provide us with anything. It seems like Gary Harris is going to be undervalued by many owners throughout the season. Totally fine. But at least provide us statistical comparisons when making claims. Being more assertive will definitely be helpful for all of us, but a lot are complaining at the fact that Gary Harris isn't scoring a lot without taking other stats into effect. Please remember.... these average stats and ranks for the year calculated by BBM, Yahoo, etc... just don't come out of thin air. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, HispasianTuna said:

I haven't paid attention to Ariza this season, but I was comparing to the past season's Ariza that I know. 

Ariza will only get better throughout the season hopefully. 

By the way Ariza, another underappreciated fantasy player, finished 4th round last season, while Harris finished at 5th. Both have been amazing draft day values for many so far this season.

51 minutes ago, bhkim814 said:

Let me clear this up. 

Gary Harris is ranked #51 for the season so far playing at 31.6 minutes per game.

Will Barton is ranked #96 for the season, playing at 28.5 minutes per game. He has not broken top 90 even if we compare stats for last week's, last 2 weeks, and last month.

Harris is shooting 48% from field goal.

Barton is shooting 44% from field goal (not that bad for a sg). 

Both have not shot the ball well from the freethrow line, but Gary Harris is shooting .714 at only 0.6 attempts per game, while Barton is shooting .667 at 3.0 attempts per game which negatively affects fantasy teams.

Barton is a good player off the bench, but saying he's "looked" better than Harris at times, with the 2nd unit, doesn't provide us with anything. It seems like Gary Harris is going to be undervalued by many owners throughout the season. Totally fine. But at least provide us statistical comparisons when making claims. Being more assertive will definitely be helpful for all of us, but a lot are complaining at the fact that Gary Harris isn't scoring a lot without taking other stats into effect. Please remember.... these average stats and ranks for the year calculated by BBM, Yahoo, etc... just don't come out of thin air. 

My apologies. Maybe I'm mad because I picked Harris and he was drafted way before Will Barton. Personally I feel I should have just grabbed Barton later. It's good to know I'm  wrong though.

Barton is averaging 14 pts 5 rebs 3 a

1.8 stls.

Harris is averaging 12 pts 2.7 rebs 2.8 assists 1.8 stls.

Edited by IkeDola510
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bhkim814 said:

Agree. Barton is a great sparkplug off the bench, and also has been better off the bench than as a starter. He's not a great fit with Jokic and Millsap controlling as he's not great at moving without the ball. 

Are you kidding? 

• Like 2

We’re enthusiastic about Gary because of efficient, versatile production from a typically inefficient, lopsided position. High efficiency, medium usage guys who let the game come to them and play within themselves rarely morph into high efficiency game changing studs who own their team’s offense. He won’t ever take 15+ shots/game, but if he did expect a sharp drop in FG

If you reached past 50-60 for this guy, you mis-read the hype. No worries, he’s probably going to finish 50-60 all good. But he’s only a fantasy difference maker if you could get him around his adp.

Edited by bdy1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tongs said:

Are you kidding? 

what are you asking?
i was talking about Barton. Gary is a great off-ball player.. I've been saying this numerous times throughout this thread. 

loving the vid tho

Edited by bhkim814

1 hour ago, IkeDola510 said:

My apologies. Maybe I'm mad because I picked Harris and he was drafted way before Will Barton. Personally I feel I should have just grabbed Barton later. It's good to know I'm  wrong though.

Barton is averaging 14 pts 5 rebs 3 a

1.8 stls.

Harris is averaging 12 pts 2.7 rebs 2.8 assists 1.8 stls.

actually 1.2 stls. 

1 hour ago, bdy1 said:

We’re enthusiastic about Gary because of efficient, versatile production from a typically inefficient, lopsided position. High efficiency, medium usage guys who let the game come to them and play within themselves rarely morph into high efficiency game changing studs who own their team’s offense. He won’t ever take 15+ shots/game, but if he did expect a sharp drop in FG

If you reached past 50-60 for this guy, you mis-read the hype. No worries, he’s probably going to finish 50-60 all good. But he’s only a fantasy difference maker if you could get him around his adp.

This^^^

Also what categories you're punting make a difference as well. I'm punting points and needed efficient shooting to make my team work so Harris was perfect for where  I got him. (7th round/83rd pick in a 12 teamer: ??)

3 hours ago, bhkim814 said:

what are you asking?
i was talking about Barton. Gary is a great off-ball player.. I've been saying this numerous times throughout this thread. 

loving the vid tho

Ahhh I thought you were talking about Gary. My mistake!

5 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I still can't believe people are questioning this dude's value.  Because he doesn't score 20 points a game?

High efficient shooting guards are very valuable. Sprinkle in steals and some assists. He's very useful!

He does more than sprinkle steals. Top 15 this year so far.

Also he is in my 4 St3als club with Jingles (4 or more combined with at least 1 in each Stls and 3PMs)

There are two types of Gary Harris owner in this thread

The guys who understand he's not a high usage guy on a team with plenty of offensive talent, and is valuable because he provides out-of-position efficiency and good steals, and drafted him somewhere after pick 60 (or as far back as in the mid 90s)

vs

The guys who read an article or comment saying he was an underrated fantasy asset and picked him in the top 50, and now don't understand why he's averaging less points than Will Barton.

Funnily enough the exact same thing happened in the Dieng thread last year.

Edited by JStyles