NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gary Harris 2017-2018 Season Outlook

turner46

27 minutes ago, rage2021 said:

Did a few mock drafts this guy is going anywhere from 6th-8th round. I was thinking he probably earned 4th-5th round status by now?

Yes, it is true. But I have my only standard league (I am not playing more, only additional deep league participation) 8th pick and to draft Harris at 41st pick is too early, but 56th pick is probably late.

3 minutes ago, apatas said:

Yes, it is true. But I have my only standard league (I am not playing more, only additional deep league participation) 8th pick and to draft Harris at 41st pick is too early, but 56th pick is probably late.

Frustrating when you really want a player but you know you cannot get him. These too marks are about his ceiling and his floor as he is a pretty safe bet and it is almost never good to take someone at his ceiling.

Another reason why I like drafting early. When I did my first couple pro leagues I got Harris in the 9th round in 2 drafts and 8th in another. Now that is impossible. I cant see him getting passed the 6th rounds in competitive drafts. 

23 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

Frustrating when you really want a player but you know you cannot get him. These too marks are about his ceiling and his floor as he is a pretty safe bet and it is almost never good to take someone at his ceiling.

Why is that his ceiling? If he posts the same numbers as he did post all-star he will be top 30-40. If he improves again, which all indications are he should he could go even higher. He seems to be on a really nice development curve. Can't see why his career would have plateaued at the end of year 3 at just 23 years old

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 1

If you want a guy....I'd say go get him.  I find myself in spots where I feel like I shouldn't take a guy at a certain pick because it is "too early".....but when all the players it is "OK to take" at that spot are guys I don't want for various reasons, why not reach for the player I think will be better?  I ruin some "profit", but I also don't end up with a guy I think will hurt my team more than help it.  Finding a balance between those two things is crucial and difficult, but I would rather err on the side of the guy I want.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

Why is that his ceiling? If he posts the same numbers as he did post all-star he will be top 30-40. If he improves again, which all indications are he should he could go even higher. He seems to be on a really nice development curve. Can't see why his career would have plateaued at the end of year 3 at just 23 years old

I didn't say his career has plateaued because career and fantasy are not always related. I think the further rise of Murray will keep Harris at around the same range as last year and he will certainly improve real life but he can very well not improve in fantasy life. And I said 41 is around his ceiling, not 50-60 so I don't see why you think I downplayed him or whatever. Around the top 30 mark as SGs like Klay, Mccollum and Beal and I certainly don't see him close to that for the coming season. 

Edited by RipCity0

5 minutes ago, RipCity0 said:

I didn't say his career has plateaued because career and fantasy are not always related. I think the further rise of Murray will keep Harris at around the same range as last year and he will certainly improve real life but he can very well not improve in fantasy life. And I said 41 is around his ceiling, not 50-60 so I don't see why you think I downplayed him or whatever. Around the top 30 mark as SGs like Klay, Mccollum and Beal and I certainly don't see him close to that for the coming season. 

He shoots a better % than all three of those guys (even CJ and Beal who had good Fg% last year), gets more steals, less TOs and almost as many threes. I think he could get very close to them, especially if he takes it up another notch this year.

Harris is better than Murray too. And the way things are going partnered with Murray he may be handling the ball more, which means more dimes, which are already on the rise. 

I'm just saying I don't think 41 is his ceiling. It's near his ceiling if he doesn't improve from last year, but I can't see why he can't get even better again

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

He shoots a better % than all three of those guys (even CJ and Beal who had good Fg% last year), gets more steals, less TOs and almost as many threes. I think he could get very close to them, especially if he takes it up another notch this year.

Harris is better than Murray too. And the way things are going partnered with Murray he may be handling the ball more, which means more dimes, which are already on the rise. 

I'm just saying I don't think 41 is his ceiling. It's near his ceiling if he doesn't improve from last year, but I can't see why he can't get even better again

Ok we come back here at the end of the season and we see what happened. There are other guys in the league that can improve too. He might improve less than them. It's not that Harris improves then he goes top30. He might produce more value and still be outside top40. 

Edited by RipCity0

9 hours ago, BetterCallHinkie said:

I think Nice Gary becomes this years Beal of last season. I'm happy to have got him everywhere for less than half the price of the respective SG tier of CJ/Klay/Beal. 

More likely he becomes this season's Otto Porter, Harris' value comes from efficiencies, his counting stats are generally pretty average.

I see his ceiling being more around Khris Middleton with less assists.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JStyles said:

More likely he becomes this season's Otto Porter, Harris' value comes from efficiencies, his counting stats are generally pretty average.

I think he means Porter in regards to how he really smashed his ADP last year, as will Harris

• Like 1

Any word on Harris' health coming into this season?  Heading into his 4th season and he hasn't exactly been a picture of health over the previous 3.  I wouldn't exactly call him injury prone but he's dealt with his fair share of knocks and strains, as well as some pretty serious injuries which have required surgery. 

I like his potential but I can't pull the trigger on him with a top 40 pick.  I'd rather pay the slight premium for guys like Middleton, Beal, etc.

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam

1 hour ago, JStyles said:

He was 17 / 3 / 3 / 1.4 post break... that is much better than Porter assist wise. It's on par with Beal / McCollum. The person you quoted actually beat me to the post, I was going to say that the secret value of Harris is that you can forego drafting CJ / Beal in the 2nd round, and essentially get yourself a similar version of those two with upside to reach what they're doing in the 5th round. If Harris tops out at 20 / 3 / 3 with 2+ 3's.. well, that's a huge win out of the round you drafted him since he's returning almost the same value as two studs. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, StarPig said:

Guys Harris and TJ Warren are steals. Get them late in the draft. When both guys will offer about mid round value. 

Get them while they are not a hot topic! 

Ppl will not be able to get them late if they're drafting with others with decent knowledge lol. 

• Like 1

Harris and Jokic fit together like PB & J.

Jokic has such excellent midrange game and is such a damn good passer it allows for Harris to finish at the rim with ease with zero rim protection, that is why his FG% is so damn high for a SG. Look at his shooting chart, its insane, its just scores at the rim and mainly corner 3s with some coming from other areas at the top of the 3 point line. 

Jokic with the ball in his hands means Harris cuts to the rim with the center defending Jokic, and the center can't give Jokic space because Jokic is shooting an absurd 55%+ at any point beyond 3 feet from the rim to the 3 point line. That is a TON of area where Jokic can threaten either as a shooter or a passer, so Harris is basically unguarded at the rim when cutting to the hoop. 

Not only that but Harris was a 58% three point shooter from the left corner 3. He was the highest made at that spot and the 2nd most efficient ONLY behind Korver (59% at left corner 3). For comparison, Curry shoots 43% from left corner 3 and 47% from right corner three. Harris is a significantly more efficient 3 point shooter (also because he gets loads of open looks as teams were doubling down on Jokic/Gallinari) on left corner 3s, Klay though was 48%.

This pattern won't stop either, Harris will just continue being dominant at the rim and on the outside because of Jokic and now with Millsap around this will just draw more defensive presence for more open 3's for Harris as Millsap as a strong midrange game too. 

• Like 3