NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dewayne Dedmon Season Outlook 2017-2018

paokmaniak

I don't think this news is anything.  The CT scan will be when we get the news, good or bad.  The question is what does "later this week" mean on a Thursday?  I would assume Friday, really, but I guess it could technically mean next Wednesay.

That said, if you have an IR spot available you should be stashing.

18 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

I don't think this news is anything.  The CT scan will be when we get the news, good or bad.  The question is what does "later this week" mean on a Thursday?  I would assume Friday, really, but I guess it could technically mean next Wednesay.

I think most people consider "this week" to be up until Saturday or Sunday. If they meant longer than that I would think they'd say "within the next week."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brandayz said:

What about Collins? Will he still be getting solid minutes when he comes back?

Well, they ran Collins at PF with Dedmon at C a couple times before both went out, so we'll get a clearer picture once Dedmon returns. I think post ASB they'll focus a lot more on developing Collins so we may see less production from Dedmon then 

3 hours ago, Tom Chambers said:

From The British Journal of Sports Medicine: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/5/586

“The CT scan is the most sensitive imaging procedure to visualise cortical bone injuries . . . However, it is insensitive to acute/subacute stress reactions by the bone. ... Perhaps if a bone stress reaction is identified at an early stage, a grade 4 stress fracture could be prevented.” Emphasis mine.

CT scan can’t give good news for this injury — only bad news or no news. They can only be doing it to make sure there aren’t any micro fractures, but it can’t reveal if anything has healed to the point that DD can take up the activity that caused the injury in the first place.

Being pain free doesn’t mean much either. The way to see if you can play or not is to play (not practice, which ain’t the same) and see what happens. Doing so too early runs the risk of causing a stress fracture. Atlanta should and shall be very cautious moving forward. 

So yeah stash in an IR slot and hope for the best. Woohoo with fingers crossed if he comes back soon, but don’t hold your breath over any upcoming procedure.

(full disclosure I’m not a doctor and I don’t play one on TV)

Edited by bdy1

16 hours ago, chud12 said:
Budenholzer says hopes Dedmon (leg stress fracture) can get on court w/in cpl weeks. "It just takes time for it to heal

I wonder if Coach Bud means a couple of weeks just to practice or a couple of weeks for him to play in real games. Only time will tell I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeysennin said:

Droppable for Biyomob in a 12 teamer? Who has the better ROS outlook? Dedmon could possibly be played less due to focus on Collins' development, whereas when Vucevic comes back post-ASB, Biyombo will be fodder again.

They were starting Collins as their PF along side Dedmon as C, so no...Dedmon will be their starter as their Center and Collins doesnt seem as a threat for his PT. I am more concern about his health than his position competition.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Been holding entire time.

Likewise, luckily I have an IL, but I've had to forego putting other guys there like AG / JJ recently. One can argue the Hawks have been practically full out tanking even when he was healthy, and he still got a solid 22 - 25+ mpg because they have no one else to take frontcourt minutes. 

Also with the way Dedmon played he's making a legitimate case to be their starting 5 next year with Collins at the 4. So perhaps that will be enough for him to get his minutes the rest of the way despite their record.

Really hope his role remains intact when he returns, he deserves it. 

Edited by Lifschitz
  • Like 1

A week ago bud said he expects him in a couple of weeks, now he says he's still rehab only phase. This has seth curry and now thjr written all over it, im just basing it on seth's updates and also thjr was supposed to have updates last dec 18, its the 27th now. Dedmon might extend to the all star game, at worst, he's a big guy, very tricky these kind of injuries for a big.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xmantt said:

A week ago bud said he expects him in a couple of weeks, now he says he's still rehab only phase. This has seth curry and now thjr written all over it, im just basing it on seth's updates and also thjr was supposed to have updates last dec 18, its the 27th now. Dedmon might extend to the all star game, at worst, he's a big guy, very tricky these kind of injuries for a big.

I cut bait after I saw this news as I had too many injured guys on my roster but yea when I saw this update I thought of Seth instantly. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, chud12 said:

I cut bait after I saw this news as I had too many injured guys on my roster but yea when I saw this update I thought of Seth instantly. 

I did too, i cut him for ish smith, got danny green off waivers for poeltl.  Best of luck to other owners and to those 3 guys.