NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Richardson 2017-2018 Outlook

13 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

Who said that here? 

i mean, talking about how guys are just "box score watchers" kind of implies superiority, no? its firstly just an assumption you watch more basketball than others on top of possibly being flat out untrue

6 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

It is a fantasy forum. But what a lot of fantasy fans who only go by numbers forget, is that per36 production does not always serve as a indication of actual skill and value of a player. If such per36 players (Brendan Wright for example, Anthony Randolph. Terrence Jones and Eddie Griffin are others), do not get their minutes handed to them on a plate, people start blaming coaches for their fantasy darlings' lack of production.

Now if you watch games, or at least catch up with informed fans, for example the more trustworthy sections of the fanbases of teams, you're in a better position to assess the reasons why certain players will get a chance to produce over others. Simple stats don't show this information. 

Thats not being pretentious, thats valuable insight, and maybe something to note in order to improve chances to ein your league. 

Bottomline: a player who produces great per minute stats will not become a good fantasy player unless he's a good real life player as well. Being good in resl life is a must for a player in order to produce long-term value. And if you don't see the point there, feel free to overdraft Terrence Jones and Ricky Davis in your league.

i agree with people sometimes being off base and unrealistic with guys that get fantasy friendly numbers, i get where you're coming from. i just didn't appreciate the insinuation that someone could just be watching box scores because they think player A is more valuable/talented and deserves more minutes than player B, and i've seen peolpe say that type of stuff way too often on here. 

wayne ellington has really been nothing more than a journeyman his whole career and mcgruder can play some defense but is very limited offensively. richardson is much more well rounded than those two on top of being younger and just getting paid.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He fits perfectly on my punt FG, FT, points, rebounds, assist and TO team.

I hope it's not serious as he clearly already has depth perception issues.

11 points, 3 three's and 2 steals and it's now the 4th quarter....      

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, lethotjames said:

i mean, talking about how guys are just "box score watchers" kind of implies superiority, no? its firstly just an assumption you watch more basketball than others on top of possibly being flat out untrue

If you call having a better chance at winning a league superiority, yes by all means, I believe that to be true. The more informed your choices are, the better the chance you win your league. If its superior if you based assumptions and choices on more than just boxscores, fine. Most of us play to be superior in the end, and will use a variation of methods to enable us to do so.

Just now, PuzzBeterson said:

If you call having a better chance at winning a league superiority, yes by all means, I believe that to be true. The more informed your choices are, the better the chance you win your league. If its superior if you based assumptions and choices on more than just boxscores, fine. Most of us play to be superior in the end, and will use a variation of methods to enable us to do so.

i mean, you were arguing about my point that it was pretentious to assume you're watching basketball more than others, this didn't really dispute that.

22 minutes ago, PuzzBeterson said:

It is a fantasy forum. But what a lot of fantasy fans who only go by numbers forget, is that per36 production does not always serve as a indication of actual skill and value of a player. If such per36 players (Brendan Wright for example, Anthony Randolph. Terrence Jones and Eddie Griffin are others), do not get their minutes handed to them on a plate, people start blaming coaches for their fantasy darlings' lack of production.

Now if you watch games, or at least catch up with informed fans, for example the more trustworthy sections of the fanbases of teams, you're in a better position to assess the reasons why certain players will get a chance to produce over others. Simple stats don't show this information. 

Thats not being pretentious, thats valuable insight, and maybe something to note in order to improve chances to win your league. 

Bottomline: a player who produces great per minute stats will not become a good fantasy player unless he's a good real life player as well. Being good in resl life is a must for a player in order to produce long-term value. And if you don't see the point there, feel free to overdraft Terrence Jones and Ricky Davis in your league.

That doesn't apply, though. You named off a bunch of bigs that struggled with foul trouble. Brandan Wright got a bunch of blocks but was a terrible defender. 

Richardson is a good player and will get minutes. He won't necessarily start but most teams would be happy to have him and he's no worse than McGruder. He's obviously a little better than Ellington. 

• Like 1

Josh got 30 minutes per game last year, which is really neat for a sophomore, let alone a 40th pick. 

He's a great fit with their second unit, and figures to get a similar amount of minutes this year.

Its not unreasonable to predict McGruder will start over him.

I know this has been asked about several players but when does Yahoo update position eligibility?

He’s only eligible at SF at the moment despite being mentioned as the starting SG.

I don’t understand what takes so long to adjust obvious multi-position guys.

16 hours ago, PuzzBeterson said:

I definitely agree that some hardcore fantasy players should try to understand why the Kendrick Perkins and Andre Roberson's of the world are going to get 30ish mins. But, back to a fantasy slant, re-drafters such as myself will keep searching for the next 2013-14 Spencer Hawes.

Edited by Red Sox Nation
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I definitely agree that some hardcore fantasy players should try to understand why the Kendrick Perikins and Andre Roberson's of the world are going to get 30ish mins. But, back to a fantasy slant, re-drafters such as myself will keep searching for the next 2013-14 Spencer Hawes.

Except Perkins has been trash for years, he had one good season on the Celtics next to KG, then became strictly a bruiser. Coaches get a little bit too much credit some times and too little other times - it's a nuanced thing. There's plenty of coaches who played horrible players way too many minutes ahead of budding talents. 

Edited by Lifschitz
2 minutes ago, Lifschitz said:

Except Perkins has been trash for years, he had one good season on the Celtics next to KG, then became strictly a bruiser. 

He was also considered an enforcer. Screened well, brought toughness, and he helped his teammates get rebounds (not all good rebounders need to grab 10+, proper boxing out and letting your teammate get a rebound is just as effective). There are reasons that he got 25-30 mins per game for so long, even though the average fantasy fan would call for his benching. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Red Sox Nation said:

He was also considered an enforcer. Screened well, brought toughness, and he helped his teammates get rebounds (not all good rebounders need to grab 10+, proper boxing out and letting your teammate get a rebound is just as effective). There are reasons that he got 25-30 mins per game for so long, even though the average fantasy fan would call for his benching. 

He also bricked wide open gimmes next to the bucket, forced his own team to play 5 on 4 on offense many times, wasn't laterally quick on the perimeter and would get exposed in the pick and roll, and got worse with age after his one good season. You could tune into any Celts game post championship year and he was horrendous around the rim.

Enforcers are quickly going extinct/out of style in this type of league, which makes the Cavs signing him all the more strange. You better have talent and be mobile, because you'll get run off the court and compromise your team on both ends.

The Oakley's and Mason's of the league are all but gone.

Edited by Lifschitz
1 hour ago, thusanaysayer said:

I just hope he gets the minutes, I know Miami has fairly deep this season and Dion is a shot chucker... so who is his primary competition?

Heat have several players fighting for the sg/sf spot. BUT - in my opinion J Rich is significantly better than all of them, in both fantasy and real life terms. He is a much better defender than all of them (Ellington, McGruder, Waiters, etc.), and he seems to have improved his offense so that he is better offensively than all of them except for probably Waiters.

Spoelstra is a good coach and he values defense. I see J Rich starting, if not immediately, within 1 month and playing 30 mpg regularly.

Bold Prediction: J Rich posts, 14 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assists, 1.5 stls, 1.2 blks, 1.2 3pm this season. Good for top 50 value. 

5 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Heat have several players fighting for the sg/sf spot. BUT - in my opinion J Rich is significantly better than all of them, in both fantasy and real life terms. He is a much better defender than all of them (Ellington, McGruder, Waiters, etc.), and he seems to have improved his offense so that he is better offensively than all of them except for probably Waiters.

Spoelstra is a good coach and he values defense. I see J Rich starting, if not immediately, within 1 month and playing 30 mpg regularly.

Bold Prediction: J Rich posts, 14 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assists, 1.5 stls, 1.2 blks, 1.2 3pm this season. Good for top 50 value. 

I'll hug you if those predictions come true

I missed out on Richardson so now I'm finding negatives about his outlook to make myself feel less of a loser for missing out.

HEALTH IS ALWAYS A CONCERN, he really throws his body around and falls a lot. He doesn't have the biggest frame and his legs look scrawny. Waiters is the projected starter and there are multiple players that can interfere with consistent playing time so his stat lines might be inconsistent. Dragic didn't play when his usage was sky high during the pre-season.

some positives are his defense and play-making, those two alone should give him the advantage to play more minutes. The reason James Johnson played a lot last year was because of his defense and play making ability so I can see the same for Richardson.

predictions

28mpg 13.2pts 3.5rebounds 3assists 1stl 1.3blks 1.1triple 44%fg 78%FT