NBC Sports Edge Forums

Stanley Johnson 2017-2018 Season Outlook

What do you guys think of him? The Pistons should give him a chance to start over Leuer, there should be still upside in that Ron Artest-type physique of his. He is still young, never given consistent minutes and was a favorite sleeper candidate back then but fell hard. What is his ceiling this year if he somehow gets a steady 30 minute role? He's not a knockdown shooter but believe that he has a chance to be a good defender. This is his year to ball and bust out. Is he a better last round flier SF over the likes of Denzel or McDermott? 

Edited by SicarioSanity
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't fall for today's trickery!    Bullock > SJ by miles

I feel like this guy is being overlooked in the Blake Griffin trade....Avery Bradley's SG spot just opened up, and Tobias' 32 MPG spot just opened at SF.   It's not crazy to think that Johns

Lost Wall and Love but gained a Johnson.

I'd take him over Denzel or McDermott, but I would also keep my expecations super low and probably drop for a hot player if he starts slow. He hasn't proven he can do ANYTHING at an NBA level except generate unwarranted hype. I fell for it last year. Maybe he'll do something in the preseason to change my opinion, but as of right now I hope someone else drafts him.

As a Piston fan this is my take on SJ:

We drafted him for his mentality - he's openly said that if people view Lebron as the best in the world then SJ is coming for him.

People think it's arrogance - I think it's him wanting to go toe to toe with the best.

After we drafted SJ we acquired Morris...and SVG loves his vets. This put SJ as the back up SF/SG and as a rook he had some success...but we acquired Tobias Harris late in the season and SJ was moved to SG where he struggled.

He didn't spend that off-season working on skills - he played SL, Drew and other junk and when the season arrived he wasn't ready. Tool him  a while to get into shape and fit in the back up SG role...but all of last season in Detroit was disruptive thanks to RJs injury and multiple line up changes.

THIS off season SJ has essentially lived at 3P & claims he's never worked harder - doesn't matter if he starts or not the opportunity is there to play 30 minutes.

I'm expecting big things from him buy not sure it translates to fantasy since he's not a scoring guy. 

I'd consider him with my last pick in standard leagues just to see if it flies...but wouldn't hold him for long if there was a hot waiver wire guy

• 2 weeks later...

Yeesh. Rough start going 0-13. The minutes are there though, he played the most minutes on the team with 40 minutes in a win..More minutes than Tobias Harris who went off for 27 points.

6 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

I think you have to pick him. If he can play 40 min on a night he shot 0 for 13, then his playing time is going to be solid when he can actually make shots

Seriously though, that's just saying if a player can make his shots he will be fantasy gold. This is basically every NBA player's situation.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Seriously though, that's just saying if a player can make his shots he will be fantasy gold. This is basically every NBA player's situation.

"I think you have to pick him. If he can play 40 min on a night he shot 0 for 13, then his playing time is going to be solid when he can actually make shots"

I know we tend to read fast in this forum and a lot of us have grade school reading skills, so I bolded and underlined the message I was trying to convey. I was talking about his playing time not his fantasy production if he makes shots

• Like 1
12 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

I think you have to pick him. If he can play 40 min on a night he shot 0 for 13, then his playing time is going to be solid when he can actually make shots

I was watching the game and the reason why he was playing 40 mins that game was part of avery bradley getting into foul trouble early.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

"I think you have to pick him. If he can play 40 min on a night he shot 0 for 13, then his playing time is going to be solid when he can actually make shots"

I know we tend to read fast in this forum and a lot of us have grade school reading skills, so I bolded and underlined the message I was trying to convey. I was talking about his playing time not his fantasy production if he makes shots

I read your sentence right. What you are implying that he is so valuable that SVG needs to play him 40 min going forward on nights he shoots 0/13, then when he actually makes shots he will solidify his mins.

1) I don't think he is that valuable to the team, it just happens that game SVG was stuck playing him. 2) The use of the word "when" implies that his shots will go in a matter of time, which is based on a few games that he had in his rookie SL games? S Johnson has a horrible FG%

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 2:18 PM, rob0403 said:

I read your sentence right. What you are implying that he is so valuable that SVG needs to play him 40 min going forward on nights he shoots 0/13, then when he actually makes shots he will solidify his mins.

1) I don't think he is that valuable to the team, it just happens that game SVG was stuck playing him. 2) The use of the word "when" implies that his shots will go in a matter of time, which is based on a few games that he had in his rookie SL games? S Johnson has a horrible FG%

1) Played 40+ minutes again; Didn't seem like SVG was stuck playing him this time. This time Avery Bradley was great, played 36 minutes too. Jon Leuer only played 7 minutes with 0 fouls and a decent line. I think it's clear SVG does value this guy. 
2) What 20-year old doesn't have FG% struggles? Most do. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think S Johnson can grow in that respect with a bigger role as the season progresses, he's 21 now with another year of experience under his belt. 

Past 5 games SJ is averaging 45% FG and 35% from three; not amazing by any stretch but also not horrible. His minutes are up, his FT% is up, his steals are up, I don't think he's a must add or anything but signs are pointing up for the kid. 30+ minutes in the past 3 games should have people in deep leagues buying imo. It'll be fun watching to see if he can improve even more as the season goes on

Edited by s-kayos

I'm in for this week at least.

I was looking for guys who play on Tues, Thurs, and/or Sat and Johnson was one of the few available who plays on Tues and Sat this week.

All I'm looking for is a couple of 3s and some steals this week.  The minutes have certainly been encouraging so I'm hoping he contributes.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Seriously how's this guy even a starter in the NBA.  He's like Marcus Smart but even worse.  And to those saying he's young whatever, this is his 3rd year and he's made no improvements to his shot at all.  Sure Drummond made a sudden improvement in his FT's, but to me that's mostly mental.