NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Nikola Mirotic 2017-2018 Season Outlook

tongs

"Mirotic and Bobby Portis continue to battle for playing time in the second unit as they are both being consistently outplayed by Luis Markkanen, which limits both players in terms of fantasy relevance."

Rotowire trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Luis (sic) is not outplaying Mirotic, where do they get these writers?

11 hours ago, Mad Luke said:

Picked him up when he returned because I needed 3's badly, did not expect this kind of performance, especially not for this long. I don't care if he gets traded, I'm sticking with him all the way.

You better not drop him once he goes to a better team where he's utilized much less.

1 hour ago, Lebron James said:

You better not drop him once he goes to a better team where he's utilized much less.

I'm aware that could happen, but since he has a no trade clause I would assume he would accept to waive it only if he goes to a team where he gets enough PT and touches. The drop in numbers will be inevitable, but I don't think he will take a big hit, not big enough for me to drop him I hope.

Chicago Tribune:

"It has been widely reported, including by the Tribune, that Mirotic would have to agree to a trade by virtue of the two-year deal with a team option he signed as a restricted free agent. That’s technically true — but only if the Bulls don’t pick up the second-year option before trading him.

If the Bulls exercise the team option first, Mirotic no longer has veto power and can be traded anywhere that a deal is found. Thus, the Bulls are in the strong position of negotiating with teams with both options.

They can dangle Mirotic as an expiring contract if that team doesn’t want the option exercised, although Mirotic would have to agree to be traded to that team in that case. Or they can shop him as a productive player on a manageable two-year, $27 million deal, with the Bulls picking up the option before the trade. In that case, that team also would get Bird rights on Mirotic when he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2019."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-bulls-nikola-mirotic-trade-20171229-story,amp.html

As a Bulls fan, I hope they keep him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They like to run niko mostly at the 5 in the 4th quarter. Couldn't do that with how Nurk was on the boards + Niko had an issue with his back (that doesn't seem too serious.) Fred was taking some heat locally for that move so I'm not at all concerned that this will be a reoccurring theme. Niko will be closer to 25+ minutes on most nights 

I would be trying to sell high though

His shooting numbers are unsustainable but more importantly a trade will only hurt him 

6 hours ago, hungry said:

Basically the forward version of Lou Williams (pre-LAC) at this point. Low minutes, high production, no complaints.

They're playing Niko next to Markkanen to finish the games. Do you think they're aiming to keep him in long term? 

3 hours ago, rush007 said:

They're playing Niko next to Markkanen to finish the games. Do you think they're aiming to keep him in long term? 

He's still only 26 years old and a pretty good player so it wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to keep him around.  However, he's hurting their tanking strategy by playing so well so a trade would make sense if they're tanking.  After the way he was treated after the Portis incident I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a fresh start.  That being said, I love owning this guy.  He's toyed with me in the past but he's finally showing the fantasy potential he flashed the past couple years.  I'll ride this thing until the wheels fall off.

• Like 1

I think winning may have made some people forget

Niko wanted/may still want out (he has reiterated to management that he is willing to waive his no trade clause) 

Could very well be his motivation behind his play

He felt shorted on his contract

Secluded himself while holding out

And then got into a fight we will likely never hear full details about

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/is-niko-mirotic-rubbing-off-on-his-bulls-teammates-or-rubbing-them-the-wrong-way/

Some of these quotes are pretty telling that all is not well as it may appear to be

I think he's as good as gone 

Curious to see what teams get linked to him when he's eligible to get traded though cause I'm a bulls fan and I have never seen Niko play with this level of confidence so it might just be that it has all clicked for him 

5 minutes ago, kilslo said:

Curious to see what teams get linked to him when he's eligible to get traded though cause I'm a bulls fan and I have never seen Niko play with this level of confidence so it might just be that it has all clicked for him 

As a Miro owner that has been keeping up with the news regarding him since that Portis punch, it's clear that he wanted to leave right after that point in time. He's a professional and is the best player on this team, and has experience that a lot of the youngsters could pick up from. His recent play can't just be for increasing value in a trade, as he seems to really get into it on the bench too. He's still very much a Bulls player and I doubt that 100% wants to leave, but isn't closing the door if the right team and opportunity comes along for him.

I want to sell high but I'm gonna employ a wait-and-see approach here on the basis of what I'm seeing irl and obviously in fantasy 

33 minutes ago, TheBoondocks said:

As a Miro owner that has been keeping up with the news regarding him since that Portis punch, it's clear that he wanted to leave right after that point in time. He's a professional and is the best player on this team, and has experience that a lot of the youngsters could pick up from. His recent play can't just be for increasing value in a trade, as he seems to really get into it on the bench too. He's still very much a Bulls player and I doubt that 100% wants to leave, but isn't closing the door if the right team and opportunity comes along for him.

I want to sell high but I'm gonna employ a wait-and-see approach here on the basis of what I'm seeing irl and obviously in fantasy 

Same here

Only reason I'm trying to sell high is to see what kind of offers I can get back but I will most likely let it play out

It's great seeing Niko have a team designed to run his system. Less iso plays, more ball movement and better shot selections. Niko playing like his old days in euro ball, post up moves and cutting to the basket

That's why I think a trade hurts him 

Mirotic has always played well when he is a focal point of the offense and isn’t relegated to just being a shooter. He’s a scorer, has been from his rookie season. His best play has always coincided with an increased role or a high usage. Had it in his rookie season when injuries hit and he was the go to guy on the bench. Happening now. So it'll be interesting to see if Niko can be effective with (a lot) lesser touches if he were to be traded

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/Woj22002854/nba-trade-deadline-biggest-storylines-potential-deals-watch-adrian-wojnarowski

Woj is reporting Mirotic as being intrigued by the Jazz and Quin Snyder due to his ability to maximize the offensive abilities of players

Niko would fit seamlessly next to Rudy Gobert and be a nice solution to Utah’s frontcourt problems (especially if Favors expiring gets moved for him)

Edited by kilslo

5 minutes ago, kilslo said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/Woj22002854/nba-trade-deadline-biggest-storylines-potential-deals-watch-adrian-wojnarowski

Woj is reporting Mirotic as being intrigued by the Jazz and Quin Snyder due to his ability to maximize the offensive abilities of players

Niko would fit seamlessly next to Rudy Gobert and be a nice solution to Utah’s frontcourt problems (especially if Favors expiring gets moved for him)

As a Markkanen and Lavine owner I would love this :) ! 

Is it crazy to think that Miro might fare better on the Jazz, should that trade go down? He’ll swap ball distributors from Dunn to Rubio, and shooters like Holiday and Lauri to Hood and Donovan. But he’d space the floor for Rudy and surely get passes from Ingles, who shares rather than shoots.

I’m playin with the idea of trading him, mainly because he has an ideal PO schedule right now, and a real-life trade could tamper with that. I’m curious to see if you guys are getting good offers.

7 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

Is it crazy to think that Miro might fare better on the Jazz, should that trade go down? He’ll swap ball distributors from Dunn to Rubio, and shooters like Holiday and Lauri to Hood and Donovan. But he’d space the floor for Rudy and surely get passes from Ingles, who shares rather than shoots.

I’m playin with the idea of trading him, mainly because he has an ideal PO schedule right now, and a real-life trade could tamper with that. I’m curious to see if you guys are getting good offers.

Well, especially after this news, I don't think you can trade Miro for anyone reasonable. Even before that, every rotoworld blurb was mentioning that he was bound to be traded, hence nobody actually bought into his value ROS. It's very difficult to get good value in return.

With that in mind, I actually think a Utah trade wouldn't hurt him too much. That would likely mean less usage/rebs, but could actually help him maintain his efficiency/triples. With his FT% and stocks going up to career levels, I can see him maintaining his value. Considering Miro has the leverage in the trade talks (no-trade clause), I don't think he'll go to a team where he won't get to play. Either way, I think he'll end up better than last year, which is good enough for top-100 ROS easily, with top-60 upside.

Edited by rush007
  • Like 2

Mirotic has a ton more opportunity to thrive in Utah. Favors can't coexist with Gobert because of the need for both to be in the paint. Mirotic is the stretch forward they are looking for to complement their current lineup. Would be a very solid hold until further notice if he ends up going over there. 

1 hour ago, mcflywalker said:

I enjoyed the Nikola ride. Just got Zach LaVine for Mirotic. Not sure if that was a great move with the LaVine restrictions coming thru after he is cleared to play. 

For anyone who kept Nikola, I hope he goes to the Jazz. Perfect fit. 

• Like 1