NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nikola Mirotic 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Jazz really need better offensive options to help Mitchell. problem, as always, will be if they can convince Utah to part w/ 1st-rd pick (even with lotto protections) 

They really lack what Mirotic could bring. Another scorer who can stretch the floor. Takes pressure off Mitchell and clears the paint for Gobert to work.

Jerebko has a similar skill set but is not even close to the scorer that Mirotic has become

Here’s some small sample size theater that supports such a move

Gobert/Mitchell/Jerebko +10.8 net rating in 63 minutes

Those 3 with Burks and Ingles +28.3 (17 minutes)
Those 3 with Rubio and Ingles +11.6 (28 minutes)

Mirotic>Jerebko

But it seems that the Bulls would want assets if the intent of the trade is to fortify their tank. And I think it would be unwise for the Jazz to give up a first rounder. The Woj article succinctly states that the asset asking price for pieces this year has been too high, which has left a fairly barren landscape of trade talk. This leaves me with the impression that the Bulls want more than the Jazz want to give, beyond players

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. Bulls need a 1st. Miro is probably worth that, but not to a team like Utah. They're not a real contender and they know it, and they made the conference semis last year. They're not desperate to throw assets away to get an 8 seed and satiate their fanbase like the Bobcats were a few years ago. 

Assuming a healthy Harden and ignoring monetary issues, a team like the Rockets that are at least a longshot at a ring would make more sense to me. Mirotic is worth a late 1st, but it'll have to be paid out by a realistic contender. I think Utah is aware that they're not a contender this year, and with Mitchell and Gobert they can be in a few years. 

Niko has played well enough to where the Bulls probably want more than just an expiring contract they have no use for but again, if Mirotic says he won’t waive his clause unless it’s Utah, that puts the Bulls in a bind. Trade now for something, waive at the end of the year for cap space or just keep him and try to trade again either this summer or next year and hope he opens up the teams he likes

https://twitter.com/1280Spence/status/950490284827205632

More Mirotic to Jazz smoke

Edited by kilslo

I don't see him improving his stats in Utah he's at 17/7 on 48% shooting right now.

I think 14/5 at 45% shooting is what he'll do. He's been a go to for the Bulls at times where in Utah his role will be to stand at the 3 point line and hit threes. Definitely compliments them well as a team but I don't see him maintaining his current value. 

I guess a lot depends on who they trade him for but uncertainty scares me in fantasy and I'll be looking to move him asap.

Rubio factor should also intrigue the Jazz as well

They are teammates from the national team

I believe Rubio's passing is at full display when finding players on the pop/roll. Which is where Niko’s game is at best. He can beat guys off the dribble, but you want to put him in a missmatch situation so he can feast on defenders lack of speed or size

Only concern for me would be Utah’s slow tempo offense

But Utah could definitely use Niko skill set so the minutes would be there 

Just now, manolo_ said:

Mirotic for Favors straight up would be the dream! inc 30+ mins of miro

Looks like the dream is very real!!!!

Trade talks regarding a Derrick Favors-Nikola Mirotic swap have reportedly progressed past the preliminary stages and are now getting serious.
Favors and Mirotic make roughly the same amount of money, so this could be a straight-up swap, although the Bulls reportedly would like a first-round pick as well. If the Bulls bring on Favors without parting ways with Robin Lopez, Favors would find himself in an unfavorable situation fighting for minutes in Chicago's crowded frontcourt. A trade can't officially go down until January 15, and the Bulls have also received interest from the Pistons, so it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Jan 10 - 10:17 AM

1 minute ago, BoogieNights said:

And we all know that inactive and shallow leagues contribute to misleading own% numbers.

Anyway, looks like our boy is going to be out tonight as he is listed as Doubtful.

and we all know that means he's getting shipped.

Edited by summersoff7
  • Like 3
14 minutes ago, BoogieNights said:

And we all know that inactive and shallow leagues contribute to misleading own% numbers.

Anyway, looks like our boy is going to be out tonight as he is listed as Doubtful.

12 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

and we all know that means he's getting shipped.

Yup, it sure does.  The package is said to be delivered to Utah on January 15th 

2 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

How would favors impact LM24 value and minutes? 

I still don't understand why the jazz would want this. Favors has been absolutely crucial for them as gobert can't maintain health. Miro could never get close to stepping into gobert role like favors has

I think simply they want a better offensive player, someone to stretch the floor. They won't win anything without Gobert anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I still don't understand why the jazz would want this. Favors has been absolutely crucial for them as gobert can't maintain health. Miro could never get close to stepping into gobert role like favors has

Favors is a band aid.  Like what's he "crucial" in them doing?  They're 16-24.  Might as well move Favors and be even worse while Gobert is out in order to have another piece that complements him when he's around.

I like this trade if it goes through, he spreads the floor for the Jazz and when Rudy comes back I can see Mirotic being the starting PF. They definitely need more scoring and seeing enough from Favors to know he isn't what they need long term when Rudy comes back. 

8 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Besides this season it's not like Favors is the blueprint of a healthy player. He hasn't been able to play in 70+ games in 3 years.

12 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I don't see Favors taking any minutes from Markkanen, either. He might take some minutes off Portis/Lopez though, that's if Lopez himself doesn't get traded, which is unlikely. 

Edited by rush007