Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Deandre Jordan 2017-2018 Season Outlook


JMASTERJ
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok so we know who he is... the question is if you are NOT punting FT%... well I was able to come into the money while punting FT and traded for Drummond as well so that was a sweet deal and it worked out a bit, but would never actually win 1st place.

 

So lets say you have a very strong FT team, then you could prob absorb him and use him in the 6-7 rd for the usual awesome stats of his.

 

But what is you have an avg/weak FT?  Then he will actually hurt you a lot, will be close to punting if he keeps his FT volume up.  However, what if he falls to late 7, 8 - 9?  Still no?  Might be able to use him as trad bait in a month or so?

How about some creative ways you guys used this unique player, and also if he is clearly above Drummond, who I think is up for a slight bounce back, so I think they are pretty much identical, with Drummond's lower FT% and lower FTA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Somehow I managed to get him for $1 in a roto auction league with members of these forums, surrounded him with a couple of FT% anchors, and still finished above .800 in FT%.

 

Therefore I am no longer fully against drafting him in roto; I wouldn't draft him on a avg FT% team, nor would I draft him on a team which is good in FT% but full of low volume guys. With some anchors his blocks, rebs and FG% become pretty useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over 80 is maybe too much to hope, but you can finish with DJ in team around 76-77%, which is enough to win about 1/3 weeks at H2H. That is not a complete punt. I did it already at season 2013/14 and in deep league 76% is quite OK.

Edited by apatas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

getting deandre automatically puts you in a punt ft mode. theres no way around it. the only match up you might win would be against a drummond team and a dwight team. it actually is beneficial to not get both of those guys in their ADP with deandre, and load up on PG early. but if both falls, then youll have tremendous value on your punt ft team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Kenny Mack said:

getting deandre automatically puts you in a punt ft mode. theres no way around it. the only match up you might win would be against a drummond team and a dwight team. it actually is beneficial to not get both of those guys in their ADP with deandre, and load up on PG early. but if both falls, then youll have tremendous value on your punt ft team.

Theoretically it can be like you said, but I already proved I can win FT% 1/3 weeks when Jordan in my team (2013/14). How you think it is possible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yeah its definitely possible, i mean you can play drummond and dwights team twice that year, maybe win a couple more weeks. thats 6 out of the 19 weeks for that season. but, more or less it can be done for xur to win 1/3 in a punt category. but what im saying is in a draft, if u pick deandre theres no way around it expecting to mitigate his FT deficiency by targeting strong FT players. u just have to be in punt FT mode by then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not necessarily; like I mentioned above I had him on my 9 cat roto team last year and ended up with a FT% above .800 (.806 to be precise). Had him surrounded by Westbrook, Kyrie, Gallo, Jokic, Barnes and Redick.

 

I still wouldn't target him, but if he falls or if he can be grabbed for $1 in auction again I won't even hesitate.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kenny Mack said:

yeah its definitely possible, i mean you can play drummond and dwights team twice that year, maybe win a couple more weeks. thats 6 out of the 19 weeks for that season. but, more or less it can be done for xur to win 1/3 in a punt category. but what im saying is in a draft, if u pick deandre theres no way around it expecting to mitigate his FT deficiency by targeting strong FT players. u just have to be in punt FT mode by then.

No, I didn't play at standard league this season. It was deep league and 20 teams, every team only once my opponent. I answer, how it is possible: because it is H2H and anything can happen:

1) Jordan just have better week (55-60%) like he did yesterday (5 of 7)

2) Clippers have some blowout games and Jordan get less FT attempts, because nobody foul him intentionally

3) Rest of my team can shoot almost perfect, like 80 of 90 and then Jordan do 8 of 20 and result is still 80% (88 of 110).

4) My opponent players miss more free throws than they usually do, like I had once LeBron in my team and he hit 3 of 13.

Because I have done some statistics, I know that worse team can sometimes easily beat better team in H2H, if he have lucky week. Andi if in Roto the best FT% team wins season 100% (because of the rules), then in H2H he maybe wins only 50-60% of cases. I mean you shoot average 82% but get only 14 wins of 20, but team who shoot 80% wins 16 of 20. This case is quite possible in H2H.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, WFK said:

Not necessarily; like I mentioned above I had him on my 9 cat roto team last year and ended up with a FT% above .800 (.806 to be precise). Had him surrounded by Westbrook, Kyrie, Gallo, Jokic, Barnes and Redick.

 

I still wouldn't target him, but if he falls or if he can be grabbed for $1 in auction again I won't even hesitate.

 

 

You did only play him half his games if I recall. Which you can afford to do for a dollar, but I'd hate to see someone attempt what you describe without knowing that detail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jsquints said:

 

You did only play him half his games if I recall. Which you can afford to do for a dollar, but I'd hate to see someone attempt what you describe without knowing that detail.

 

Good point; approximately 2/3 of his games in the end. Started out by playing him every other game, and once I acquired Gallo I started him for all but a few games. In the end I played him for about 60 games. However, this does take into account that I didn't have Gallo either during the first couple of games to help compensate DJ's FT%.

 

So I calculated what the FT% of this group (+ Otto Porter who was an essential part of the team) would have been had I played them all for every match they had played:

 

Barnes: 242/281

Gallo: 349/387

Kyrie: 297/328

Jokic: 188/228

DJ: 205/425

Porter: 99/119

Redick: 180/202

Westbrook: 710/840

 

Total: 2270/2810 = .808 (.8078...)

 

So with the right group of guys it is actually possible to compensate DJ's FT% and still be very competitive in that cat. However, it is extremely difficult, because you'd need several FT anchors and there are only so few of them. I wouldn't recommend anyone to grab DJ if they do not plan to punt FT%, but it goes to show that you won't punt FT% automatically with DJ on your team (as mentioned above). 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got him for 17$ as my first player in an auction draft and was absolutely thrilled and decided to build a punt ft%/pts team which is in my sig. Maybe some of his stats will be different now when offense won't be so reliable on CP3 but i think the things you are picking him for, elite rebs/blks/fg% are gonna stay the same and i am completely happy with that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Probably sweating for no reason here but is anyone concerned with Doc Rivers comments about going small ball and using Griffin a lot at C? Wouldn't make sense for the clips to bench their second best player but I do recall back in his younger days they would take him out the 4th q due to poor free throw shooting...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Probably sweating for no reason here but is anyone concerned with Doc Rivers comments about going small ball and using Griffin a lot at C? Wouldn't make sense for the clips to bench their second best player but I do recall back in his younger days they would take him out the 4th q due to poor free throw shooting...

I wouldn't read too much into it - I'm guessing this really only applies to teams who run a small ball lineup a lot eg. Houston and Golden State. He'll probably play slightly fewer minutes.

 

I expect him to play out his full minutes otherwise, against the Nurkics and Gasols of the NBA.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...