NBC Sports EDGE Forums

James Johnson 2017-2018 Season Outlook

JMASTERJ

2 hours ago, rage2021 said:

Nabbed him in the 9th round of my keeper. He was ranked 78 last season. for some reason i thought he was top 50-60. meh. triple 1 and good percentages and assists not sure why he isn't higher. guess lack of points.

He just might not get the 29-30 mpg that he was getting in the second half of last season with players coming back healthy (e.g. Winslow) to start the season in Miami.  Plus Olynyk is there now to gobble up some of those PF/C minutes as well.  Given all that, taking him in the 9th round isn't the worst thing.

3 hours ago, rage2021 said:

not sure why he isn't higher. guess lack of points.

High TO and bad FT%.  2.3to is a lot for a role player, and 70% FT on 3 attempts per game might not seem terrible, but it can hurt noticeably if you don't have any high volume  FT shooters. Take out those two cats and he's a top 50 player.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rage2021 said:

Nabbed him in the 9th round of my keeper. He was ranked 78 last season. for some reason i thought he was top 50-60. meh. triple 1 and good percentages and assists not sure why he isn't higher. guess lack of points.

Spotty track record.

And the above poster is correct: he does turn it over alot.

Looks like J.J. is coming off the bench to start the season.  What do you think this does to his fantasy outlook?  If he gets 25 or so minutes, do you still see him producing like last year?

This is a guy a that ends up on my team every year so hoping his playing with the second unit isn't all that impactful.

13 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

Looks like J.J. is coming off the bench to start the season.  What do you think this does to his fantasy outlook?  If he gets 25 or so minutes, do you still see him producing like last year?

This is a guy a that ends up on my team every year so hoping his playing with the second unit isn't all that impactful.

James did say he prefers to come off the bench last week. I’m expecting loads of stocks and stat stuffing nights.  

8 minutes ago, MuscleChestbrook said:

He will probably get more ball-handling duties if he's coming off the bench (so more assists?). I stayed away from Olynk and JJ though. It was unpredictable. 

What was unpredictable? Johnson has the sand role as last season. 

I said it in the draft room when I picked him, he's going to be mini Otto Porter, with just worse FT% and 3PM.

Legit shot at being Top-50, as he has a good chance at maintaining 10 PPG / 5 REB / 2 AST / 1.0 SPG / 1.0 BLK

5 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I said it in the draft room when I picked him, he's going to be mini Otto Porter, with just worse FT% and 3PM.

Legit shot at being Top-50, as he has a good chance at maintaining 13 PPG / 5 REB / 4 AST / 1.0 SPG / 1.0 BLK

2 dimes?? the guy averaged almost 4 last season.

Corrected... 

Not a lot of noise about this guy, but I'm impressed with how he's handling the Olynyk competition. Still averaging 7 assists per game over 3 games. Had 5 blocks in 1 game, 3 steals in the next game. He might not ever average 15+ points, but he's sure as hell giving it all in every other aspect of his game. 

• Like 2

Bootleg draymond lol. 

To get his stat stuffing production that late in the draft is amazing. Def one of my fave picks this yr. So versatile even if he get low mins he'll give u something, drafted JJ expecting he gets 24-26 mins for the yr. Safe to say he hover around this mark for the season? With huge surges whenever theres injuries?

• Haha 1