NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Johnson 2017-2018 Season Outlook

If you ask me he's the most underrated player in fantasy - it's a crime that he only has 2 pages written. Sure, his TOs are far from perfect, he's not the greatest FT shooter, but he just about saves you in one category every night (if not a few). He's my favorite swiss-army knife on my team. He's racking up so many assists that I forewent drafting another PG after Conley / Collison in my draft (I was confident James Johnson would be Miami's main assist weapon), picked up Rozier, picked up Barton, and now I'm sitting pretty with the most assists in my league for the week.

One of the reasons I didn't draft Giannis or Draymond is because I felt I had a poor man's version in James Johnson. I took him in round 6, some people here criticized the pick saying it was early, and I'm reaping the rewards.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that he's a post-post-post-hype sleeper. He had a lot of talent, but he was a headcase who regularly came into camp in poor condition. His attitude changed, Miami whipped him into shape (as they do all their players), and they put clauses/bonuses in his contract to ensure he continues coming into the season in top form. 

I think his minutes will eventually steady in the mid 30's as the season goes on, he's too valuable for Miami not to have on the floor at all times to guard multiple guys and also run the offense as a point forward.

He's up to 13.5 / 6 / 6 / 1.3 steals / 1.5 blocks / .5 3's on 56% FG, 61% FT, and 3.3 TOs. There's room for the TOs to drop, and the FT/3's to increase. He's the modern day Josh Smith with much better FG%. I think he fits all types of teams because he's a glue-guy statistically. He supports both your guards and your bigs - much like Giannis and Draymond.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you ask me he's the most underrated player in fantasy - it's a crime that he only has 2 pages written. Sure, his TOs are far from perfect, he's not the greatest FT shooter, but he just about saves

Guys before this 3 game cold streak Jimmy J. Was putting up better numbers than last season with Waiters healthy so I think all of this is a classic overreaction again. Heck some were calling Jimmy  D

I think there's a good chance Miami will deal Whiteside and possibly also Dragic to open up minutes across the team.. I'm going to wait post trade-deadline before deciding if I drop or not.. if Miami

Was worried about his age/contract for a bit there that he would slow down after. doesn't look like the case. I agree on the swiss army knife comparison this is my first year owning him and im loving the stats..assists has been a pleasant surprise its like having an extra PG..extra centre...extra SG..etc lol. in a way hes a poor mans  LeBron and thats definietly worth top 50 value. he dropped to 9th round in my draft

5 hours ago, Lifschitz said:

If you ask me he's the most underrated player in fantasy - it's a crime that he only has 2 pages written. Sure, his TOs are far from perfect, he's not the greatest FT shooter, but he just about saves you in one category every night (if not a few). He's my favorite swiss-army knife on my team. He's racking up so many assists that I forewent drafting another PG after Conley / Collison in my draft (I was confident James Johnson would be Miami's main assist weapon), picked up Rozier, picked up Barton, and now I'm sitting pretty with the most assists in my league for the week.

One of the reasons I didn't draft Giannis or Draymond is because I felt I had a poor man's version in James Johnson. I took him in round 6, some people here criticized the pick saying it was early, and I'm reaping the rewards.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that he's a post-post-post-hype sleeper. He had a lot of talent, but he was a headcase who regularly came into camp in poor condition. His attitude changed, Miami whipped him into shape (as they do all their players), and they put clauses/bonuses in his contract to ensure he continues coming into the season in top form. 

I think his minutes will eventually steady in the mid 30's as the season goes on, he's too valuable for Miami not to have on the floor at all times to guard multiple guys and also run the offense as a point forward.

He's up to 13.5 / 6 / 6 / 1.3 steals / 1.5 blocks / .5 3's on 56% FG, 61% FT, and 3.3 TOs. There's room for the TOs to drop, and the FT/3's to increase. He's the modern day Josh Smith with much better FG%. I think he fits all types of teams because he's a glue-guy statistically. He supports both your guards and your bigs - much like Giannis and Draymond.

I've loved J.J. since I started fantasy hoops, but man, this write-up right here has me super pumped that I own him yet again!

4 hours ago, chud12 said:

James also didn't play well, due for a dud I guess..

I'll take their two role players having random good nights over James Johnson / Josh Rich as a fluke. These two have much safer roles season long.. Minnesota played much tougher tonight than they normally do.

I think a lot of things will open up for guys like JJ and Richardson once Whiteside is back, and their entire team offensively.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Cavsfan23 said:

Does a return of Whiteside have a negative effect on Johnson's value? Should we be selling now?

Why sell him now? It's not that you sell high. He has a season behind him of playing really good with Whiteside.

56 minutes ago, Cavsfan23 said:

Does a return of Whiteside have a negative effect on Johnson's value? Should we be selling now?

No, because JJ isn't a center. He might maybe lose a rebound or two, but overall it'll be better because the other teams' attention will focus more on Whiteside, giving JJ better looks at both ends of the court. 

Edited by 2013myyear

Hey any Heat fans want to weigh in on the “point-center” look they’re occasionally rolling with? I loved the run in garbage time against the Spurs. The look really opens the lane for cutters, and he made quick work of SA bigs off the dribble. It’s a stat stuffing look for JJ. How common is it for Heat?

Jesus, some pretty damn annoying (and last minute reporting for the media/rotoworld there).

Had him as "benched for White" despite being listed as a GTD in Yahoo about half an hour before tipoff.  Thought the GTD was just an anomaly or an error since it just said he was going to be in the second unit (which isn't bad for his value, since he's great there too).  NOW, about 5 minutes before tipoff, we have a new report saying he's active but not playing. Great. I got lucky and had about 2 minutes to start swapping guys out for JJ, who I own in a few leagues.

It's even worse because today's a packed day and most people who aren't diligently checking rotoworld every second would likely just play JJ and bench other active players.  Here's a pro-tip from a fantasy vet:  I got burned a few times in the past, so on crowded days, I usually put players who have early games (or have the potential to miss a game) in the UTL spot.  Therefore, when I do get news that they're out, I can move them easily for players with later timed games, regardless of position.  Doesn't mean I'll get the same value, since the players you bench in fantasy are obviously worse than your starters, but at least you get some production.

my god this guy is a stud.. 

They were struggling to score when he entered (they were down 8-2 when he came in with around 8 minutes in the quarter). He immediately blocks Durant and starts setting the tempo. 

Within 7 minutes he has 7 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, 2/2 FTA, and hit a shotclock beating swish 3 in Draymond's face..