NBC Sports EDGE Forums

James Johnson 2017-2018 Season Outlook

JMASTERJ

1 minute ago, Agmaniacmike said:

He's just stuck in a tough situation, Miami has so many players to rotate. Winslow, Richardson, Olynyk, etc. It isn't the same team as last year, so I don't think his #s last year are a great indicator of what to expect ROS. I'm a believer in Johnson's ability, just not the situation.

He is getting the same amount of min. nightly like last year. Judging by the box score he is clearly very passive tonight. 

3 minutes ago, chud12 said:

He is getting the same amount of min. nightly like last year. Judging by the box score he is clearly very passive tonight. 

The minutes aren't necessarily the issue, there is no consistency in the guys on the floor so it is hard to get in a groove. I feel like they change their rotations every game this year. Most relevant Heat players in fantasy have had multiple stinkers this year and I think the constant mish-mash of combinations is throwing them off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Agmaniacmike said:

The minutes aren't necessarily the issue, there is no consistency in the guys on the floor so it is hard to get in a groove. I feel like they change their rotations every game this year. Most relevant Heat players in fantasy have had multiple stinkers this year and I think the constant mish-mash of combinations is throwing them off.

I strongly disagree, James Johnson isn't immune to slumps. 

25 minutes ago, BbFlyEmCeE said:

Its on me guys I just traded Monk + Lamb for him. Obviously he doesnt produce on his debut on my team.

Sorry for this.

K.

Moving onto actual discussion -- the positive note here is that the minutes are there, which means that he's still relied on. I haven't watched any Heat games this season, but what would be very useful to know is who else is usually out there with him, as this can affect usage rate so if there are any Heat fans reading this, that'd be great. I'm more than positive that he'll snap out of this eventually as he brings great energy off the bench. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 2013myyear said:

K.

Moving onto actual discussion -- the positive note here is that the minutes are there, which means that he's still relied on. I haven't watched any Heat games this season, but what would be very useful to know is who else is usually out there with him, as this can affect usage rate so if there are any Heat fans reading this, that'd be great. I'm more than positive that he'll snap out of this eventually as he brings great energy off the bench. 

From what I've seen, it looks like JJ's usage is getting significantly affected by Dion Waiters. He was definitely playing more passive than usual this game from the brief time I watched this game, but Dion has been so ball dominant since his return that JJ isn't running the offense when he's on the court as much. A little bit of a red flag, but he's at least getting the minutes, so I expect a better line to come in the next couple games.

• Like 1

They need to play Waiters off the bench for real. His dribbling and stream of pull ups mess up movement.

He’s a sparkplug, like Jamal Crawford or Lou Will but a starting 5 with Whiteside, Dragic, JJ and yes, even JRich can move the ball around much more fluidly.

It’s still early so i’m sure adjustments will be made to Miami’s O.