NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nic Batum 2017-2018 outlook

6 hours ago, MWon said:

I wouldn't go THAT far, especially if you're in a really shallow league (my casual league just dropped Schroder...don't judge me because of that, lol).  I can't judge every person's particular situation.

However, I'd echo this sentiment to an extent.  Batum's historically proven to be an excellent fantasy player and contributes across the board (well, except FG%).  If you've got him, you just need to wait it out, as he's just coming back from injury.  And I do think that if you do drop him, there's no doubt someone is gonna waiver add him instantly and it's very, very likely you'll regret that decision.

I do worry a little bit about Lamb/Monk threatening his minutes though (wasn't the case tonight at least), and I think he'll suck the next game too without Kemba.  IMHO, tonight's bad game was basically a spacing issue.  Batum isn't a knock-down shooter, and he's expected to help facilitate with a starting lineup of MCW, MKG, D12 and M Will (3/4 of those guys can't shoot) against a pretty good Toronto defense.

Yeh this kind of response helps. Played anywhere from 10 to 16 team leagues in the past 14 years of fantasy. Strategy is different for all as you'd know.

The reason I personally dont enjoy playing in shallow leagues is that every teams' talent level are so great that if one of our player is injured or not performing well, that can affect the team tremendously. Batum finished #69, #59, #59 for the past three seasons. As you mentioned, Lamb will eat into his minutes a bit and Batum will still sustain around 32 mpg when healthy. I believe batum can finish top 63 as he did in the past three seasons but shallow leagues do have potential guys that could also finish top 40 to 50 range. It is also possible to find and stream a weekly top 50 waivers guy that gets hot for 2 weeks and cools off. Streaming is key.

Anyways yeah, thanks for the insight. Looks like someone was having a bad day from porzingis injury lol. Batum will certainly bounce back (love his game) but my opinion is that he wont finish top 60 this year. 

Edited by bhkim814
  • Like 2
  • Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You drop and pick Batum back up multiple times? What kind of league is that? Are you the only team?

Today's athletes.....  

Posted Images

So the only game this year that I didn't start him was his first game back because they said they were going to ease him into minutes. So that was the only decent game he's had all year and pretty much all others were complete Duds. Unfnbelievable!

Edited by magic32
53 minutes ago, magic32 said:

So the only game this year that I didn't start him was his first game back because they said they were going to ease him into minutes. So that was the only decent game he's had all year and pretty much all others were complete Duds. Unfnbelievable!

7 games played so far one he left because of an elbow issue at halftime.  

Game 1 - 16/5/6/2 - good game 

Game 2 - bad game 

Game 3 - 12/4/7/1/2 - good game 

Game 4 - 17/4/2/1 - good game 

Game 5 - left due to injury at halftime 

Game 6 - Barley player in 2nd half due to blowout.  

Game 7 - Bad Game 

Half the games Batum has played so far have been solid games. (Not counting game 5). 

Do not get the response. I️ know he hasn’t bee. Great yet but it’s not been as bad as everyone is making it seem. Half the games he’s played he’s been solid in.  

Edited by chud12
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Game 2 - bad game 

Game 7 - Bad Game 

Half the games Batum has played so far have been solid games. (Not counting game 5). 

Do not get the response. I️ know he hasn’t bee. Great yet but it’s not been as bad as everyone is making it seem. Half the games he’s played he’s been solid in.  

True, but his long term outlook is bleaker than it was last year. With Lamb stepping up, MKG still there, I'm not sure if he's going to put up much better numbers than this. I see 12/4/4 as a floor for him. Top 75 value, but not much else. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

7 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

True, but his long term outlook is bleaker than it was last year. With Lamb stepping up, MKG still there, I'm not sure if he's going to put up much better numbers than this. I see 12/4/4 as a floor for him. Top 75 value, but not much else. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

Yea I️ disagree completely as this is such an overreaction. It’s been 7 games, 7. 

Batum just came back from an injury  and than again a week later. Why everyone always is so quick to make ros projections on guys bevause tgere off to a slow start with such a tiny sample size is puzzling. So you expected close to trip dub numbers right off the bat huh. If you didn’t expect a slow start (I️ did) than your just follish.  If Kawhi struggled when he comes back no one is damn sure going to make any dumb proclamations on ros outlook in 7 game span. Fantasy basketball isn’t a damn sprint it’s a marathon and I️ am willing to put my money on Batum being last years version in 2-4 weeks as long as he has no more setbacks.  Just be patient jeez. 

Edited by chud12
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Yea I️ disagree completely as this is such an overreaction. It’s been 7 games, 7. 

Batum just came back from an injury  and than again a week later. Why everyone always is so quick to make ros projections on guys bevause tgere off to a slow start with such a tiny sample size is puzzling. So you expected close to trip dub numbers right off the bat huh. If you didn’t expect a slow start (I️ did) than your just follish.  If Kawhi struggled when he comes back no one is damn sure going to make any dumb proclamations on ros outlook in 7 game span. Fantasy basketball isn’t a damn sprint it’s a marathon and I️ am willing to put my money on Batum being last years version in 2-4 weeks as long as he has no more setbacks.  Just be patient jeez. 

It is a marathon, great point. But it's not as much about Batum as it is about Lamb. Lamb will take some of his minutes because of his outstanding play this year. Because of that, I don't see Batum matching his past numbers. It's not about him, but about Lamb's emergence. 

8 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

It is a marathon, great point. But it's not as much about Batum as it is about Lamb. Lamb will take some of his minutes because of his outstanding play this year. Because of that, I don't see Batum matching his past numbers. It's not about him, but about Lamb's emergence. 

Have you watched Hornet games this year? When Lamb is playing well they have left him in to play along side Batum.  Batum usually subs in for Bacon and not Lamb when he comes in so Lamb playing well means/has meant nothing regarding minutes to Batum. He’s going to be playing 35 a night in 2 weeks again if he stays healthy. If u actually watched the games instead of just judging ishh by looking at game logs than you would have a diff opinion. 

Edited by chud12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, beastmaster said:

Batum is better player in real life with a big margin and Lamb is just a career fill-in starter at best so his existence is irrelevant.

Lamb has been one of the most improved players in the NBA this year, really improved towards the end of last year and carried it into the summer and start of season. Lamb is legit now but like you said   He has zero impact on Batum. 

Edited by chud12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, chud12 said:

Game 2 - bad game 

Game 7 - Bad Game 

The only game that resemble batum from last year was his first. All others were less than what he's capable of. After his first game went so well I assumed he was back to his old self but that was the only game or he actually look like himself. It's just typical fantasy where you bench a guy when he goes off and starts him and he sucks. 

In 8 cat leagues he was ranked 47th overall last year. So far for this year, he's ranked 151st overall and 231st for the week and you see no issues....

Edited by magic32
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, magic32 said:

The only game that resemble batum from last year was his first. All others were less than what he's capable of. After his first game went so well I assumed he was back to his old self but that was the only game or he actually look like himself. It's just typical fantasy where you bench a guy when he goes off and starts him and he sucks. 

In 8 cat leagues he was ranked 47th overall last year. So far for this year, he's ranked 151st overall and 231st for the week and you see no issues....

Nope zero issues. I️ am not going to repeat myself on why I️ feel this way because it’s pointless as I️ said it an earlier post. Agree to disagree and let’s see how it plays out. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Patience. 

Yeh the minutes are there. Shot attempts are there. Ended with 2 threes. For him to get back into top 60 to 70 range tho, Batum needs to up his defensive numbers which are not his strong suit, or increase his threes a bit.

There are 65 players from this season who are matching his 1.8 threes per game from last season (using last season's stats because Batum will average more than 1 a game hopefully). Batum finished 60th for 3pm last season. I see a slight decrease in rbds with Howard in and slight decrease in assists as well with other guards in rotation now. Freethrow percentage helps his value due to his number of attempts per game but yeah it is what it is. Patience is part of the game but so are injuries/recoveries, changes in rotation, and the negative impacts during the course of recovery, along with the production of other nba players.

Hoping for a consistent improvement soon!

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Traded Nic in a package 2 days ago good luck guys. I still think 2 weeks we see the real Batum flowing consistently.

Hahahaha. You were running a whole campaign on "Be patient on Nic" and now you bailed on us. You TRAITOR. Everybody lets give up on Batum. Better sooner rather than later.

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Brandayz said:

Buy low?

That is a really good point, you can see how Batum owners are frustrated and inpatient, so testing their despair seems like a wise move (keep in mind a lot of them grabbed him from the WW, so they dont appreciate him that much to begin with). Hornets dont suck enough to tank or rebuild and they need Batum to win more than anyone else (except Kemba). I think its just a matter of time...

11 minutes ago, Manos A said:

Hahahaha. You were running a whole campaign on "Be patient on Nic" and now you bailed on us. You TRAITOR. Everybody lets give up on Batum. Better sooner rather than later.

I needed center depth badly and had the opportunity to get Nik Vooch, just could not pass on that. I can afford to trade depth so it made to much sense not to do, I would still preach patience though. The only obvious thing that is concerning is the health of that elbow, let's hope it's not being held onto by a thread. 

Boy I'm sure glad all the drop city managers sold all their players high and already threw in the towel for the year otherwise they'd be in here whining about a couple games.  The impatient owners are steadily disappearing from these boards.

Edited by Bugs bunny
1 hour ago, Brandayz said:

Buy low?

44 minutes ago, Manos A said:

That is a really good point, you can see how Batum owners are frustrated and inpatient, so testing their despair seems like a wise move (keep in mind a lot of them grabbed him from the WW, so they dont appreciate him that much to begin with). Hornets dont suck enough to tank or rebuild and they need Batum to win more than anyone else (except Kemba). I think its just a matter of time...

I'm actually curious. What is everyone's expectation with batum ROS?

Do you expect him to finish better or worse than last season? (59th) (59th and 69th prior to that)
My reasonable expectation is around 75th but of course, that is with a lot of improvement. His 3s, Bds, and Assists certainly help but his fg% and TO negate that. His value jumps up tremendously to 36th if we punt fg% category with last seasons stats. This means two things:

1. He can be ridiculously valuable if he could sustain similar stats as last year while totally punting fg%.  
2. His fg% impacts us alot. 

Regardless let's see how he does tonight