NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nic Batum 2017-2018 outlook

57 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Boy I'm sure glad all the drop city managers sold all their players high and already threw in the towel for the year otherwise they'd be in here whining about a couple games.  The impatient owners are steadily disappearing from these boards.

I dropped him again, but if he does well tonight, I'll grab him. He's in wait and see mode for a lot of owners right now. He needs to pull his FG% up, despite the decent peripherals. 

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You drop and pick Batum back up multiple times? What kind of league is that? Are you the only team?

Today's athletes.....  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

I dropped him again, but if he does well tonight, I'll grab him. He's in wait and see mode for a lot of owners right now. He needs to pull his FG% up, despite the decent peripherals. 

You drop and pick Batum back up multiple times? What kind of league is that? Are you the only team?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

^ yeah what in the world?

anyways, he is struggling to find the bottom of the net lately.  hopefully he gets hot soon.  i am just hoping it's not related to his multiple elbow injuries.

1 hour ago, LuSamSiam said:

He's been bad this year. The peripherals are nice, but the FG% are team killers. I feel like this forum overvalues Batum. He's been bad so far this year. He's playing OK tonight, but he hasn't even approached the top 150 yet. Thus, nobody has picked him up because of that. It's not rocket science. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

^ yeah what in the world?

anyways, he is struggling to find the bottom of the net lately.  hopefully he gets hot soon.  i am just hoping it's not related to his multiple elbow injuries.

He's been struggling, and it's not a one game fluke either. He's been inconsistent, and he hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn yet. He's only 4/6 from the line tonight as well. 

9 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

He's been bad this year. The peripherals are nice, but the FG% are team killers. I feel like this forum overvalues Batum. He's been bad so far this year. He's playing OK tonight, but he hasn't even approached the top 150 yet. Thus, nobody has picked him up because of that. It's not rocket science. 

He's also only played 8 games. In a competitive league, nobody is dropping a guy with Batum's body of work, after just 8 games.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

You gotta be joking. Is this your first year playing fantasy along with the rest of your league? Batum has been an early to mid round player every year for the past 7 years (many of them sporting a bad fg%). I'm not getting shook by 8 games coming off an elbow injury. Yeah, he's been playing bad. So what?? He has years of track record to show that he will turn it around. Alec Burks has been a 1st round player over the past week. Why don't you pick him up over Batum and hold til the end of the year and see how that turns out for you? The thing that's not rocket science is picking Batum up if he is on your waiver wire for some crazy reason.

Edited by LuSamSiam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, LuSamSiam said:

You gotta be joking. Is this your first year playing fantasy along with the rest of your league? Batum has been an early to mid round player every year for the past 7 years (many of them sporting a bad fg%). I'm not getting shook by 8 games coming off an elbow injury. Yeah, he's been playing bad. So what?? He has years of track record to show that he will turn it around. Alec Burks has been a 1st round player over the past week. Why don't you pick him up over Batum and hold til the end of the year and see how that turns out for you? The thing that's not rocket science is picking Batum up if he is on your waiver wire for some crazy reason.

Lol. That's a "Thankyou"", "Ha ha" and a zillion "likes."

17 minutes ago, LuSamSiam said:

OK, fair points. But I'm explaining to you that's why he's on the wire. He's been a solid fantasy player for years now, but in points leagues, it's more competitive. For example, I'm literally 1 missed FG away from dropping a spot in the rankings. 1! That's why I've shied away from Batum so far. I need high FG% shooters, I don't really need what he has to offer (rebounds and assists). He's 2/6 tonight, 5/8 from the line, with 3 TO's. The exact categories I'm trying to improve in. 

H2H leagues are different. You can afford to have more patience there. That isn't the case with points leagues. 

2 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Lol. That's a "Thankyou"", "Ha ha" and a zillion "likes."

I guess, but my criticisms aren't wrong so far. He may get better with time, but he's shooting his season average from the field tonight (2/6). Right now, he hasn't been playing well. The 9 rebounds are nice, and the 5 assists are too, but the FG% is a killer. 

I know about his body of work, and how good he's been in the past. But it sounds like many of you are in H2H leagues that allow you to lock in lineups per week. Points leagues are different. If a player is struggling, you don't really have time to wait. Rankings shift every second. Like I said, I'm literally .001% FT% behind the leader, and .001% FG% from the 3rd place guy. It's a lot more competitive in points leagues. I've played in points leagues for going on 7 years now. I'm not new at this. 

Just accept it for what it is. Trusthaprocess isn't wrong that Batum has been bad this year so far (injuries and etc. as mentioned by everyone). Not all leagues are the same. Some people play in shallower leagues. Some people play in leagues with different settings. And some people play with other frustrated owners that may have dropped Batum. Personally I don't get annoyed of what happens in someone else's league. Unless they don't provide any information and suggest dropping a player that has been doing well recently. 

LuSamSiam is definitely correct that Batum has been an early to mid round player every year for the past 7 years. His value did drop in the last 3 years from the previous early years but he's a 59th player from last year that once finished 21st back when he was in Portland. There is no f-ing way his production will be this bad for him to be dropped and not picked back up immediately in 12 team leagues and above. 

Lucky for people who picked him up. Hope Batum can produce similar numbers with better ft% and one or two threes next game. 

Edited by bhkim814
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, trusthaprocess said:

He's been struggling, and it's not a one game fluke either. He's been inconsistent, and he hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn yet. He's only 4/6 from the line tonight as well. 

Lol you should 'trustthaprocess'. He'll get going sooner rather than later. Tonight's game is a good sign.

And he was generally drafted at the tail end of the draft if you drafted after his injury. There's so much room for profit.

26 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

I know about his body of work, and how good he's been in the past. But it sounds like many of you are in H2H leagues that allow you to lock in lineups per week. Points leagues are different. If a player is struggling, you don't really have time to wait. Rankings shift every second. Like I said, I'm literally .001% FT% behind the leader, and .001% FG% from the 3rd place guy. It's a lot more competitive in points leagues. I've played in points leagues for going on 7 years now. I'm not new at this. 

Are you talking about a roto league? Because that doesn't sound like a points league.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, LuSamSiam said:

Are you talking about a roto league? Because that doesn't sound like a points league.

lmao joker doesn't even know what kind of league he's playing....I've seen it all now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

OK, fair points. But I'm explaining to you that's why he's on the wire. He's been a solid fantasy player for years now, but in points leagues, it's more competitive. For example, I'm literally 1 missed FG away from dropping a spot in the rankings. 1! That's why I've shied away from Batum so far. I need high FG% shooters, I don't really need what he has to offer (rebounds and assists). He's 2/6 tonight, 5/8 from the line, with 3 TO's. The exact categories I'm trying to improve in. 

H2H leagues are different. You can afford to have more patience there. That isn't the case with points leagues. 

You do realize most point leagues are H2H.   So you are in a point Roto?  

Edited by Bugs bunny
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, trusthaprocess said:

Yes I am

What is a points roto league??

The only thing I can think of is points given for each stat in each category, and then roto scoring for the various categories.  But then this is the same exact thing as a roto league, just framed differently..

24 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

What is a points roto league??

The only thing I can think of is points given for each stat in each category, and then roto scoring for the various categories.  But then this is the same exact thing as a roto league, just framed differently..

This is the format of my league. As shown below, stats operate live. I literally fluctuated b/w 5th and 6th in FG% all night. (Sorry for the copy and paste, I'm on my laptop, my phone isn't working right now).

League Standings update in real time

Overall Points

FG FT 3PT Miscellaneous
Rank Team Name FG% FT% 3PTM PTS REB AST ST BLK TO Total Points Pts Change
logoDominators
logoTake the Pen
logoReke Havoc
logoMile High AF
logoRNT's Money Team
logopaul's Glorious Team
logopants's Grand Team
logoSHORTYDON 1881
logoColin's Crazy Team
logoErik624's Team
logoKP
logoTeam Semi....

Thats a roto league. 7 years, you say? Lol but joking aside, still not worth a cut in any standard league. If your special benchless league is the exception, temper criticism or atleast disclose your league settings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1