NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nic Batum 2017-2018 outlook

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You drop and pick Batum back up multiple times? What kind of league is that? Are you the only team?

Today's athletes.....  

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Espoiral said:

Is season-ending surgery really needed or can he sit out a few games? This is worrying for his ROS value.

Well, as you know he was out a few weeks at the beginning of the season....so doubt sitting out some games at this point is going to help much. Would assume surgery is going to be the only true fix unless he just decides to keep playing through it....but that's obviously not going very well.

Edited by HK-47

So whats the move here... hang with him ROS and hope production isnt affected too much? Or try and shop him for his name rather than current value if possible... he's a very valuable player when he can play properly which is why i dont want to do the latter given his trade value is low haha

11 minutes ago, Sab said:

So whats the move here... hang with him ROS and hope production isnt affected too much? Or try and shop him for his name rather than current value if possible... he's a very valuable player when he can play properly which is why i dont want to do the latter given his trade value is low haha

I'm sticking with holding.. had the option of dropping either him or J. Simmons for Griffin using a waiver but I went with giving up Simmons. It was quite tough to be honest. 

But it does seem like he's adamant on getting the surgery after the season, so hopefully he'll be able to play through it, possibly after being given a few games off. His production this season with a busted elbow obviously hasn't hit the heights of what he's capable of but in a 12 team points league like mine it has been quite alright. 

Worst case scenario would be something like a Fultz situation where the team has to step in for treatment.. but he's not as limited as Fultz was with his shoulder so I don't think it's as likely..

Edited by Espoiral
5 hours ago, munky said:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article189042319.html

Surgery sounds more like an option for the summer not during the year.  Think its more of his production than him being out ROS. 

I agree. There is no point in surgery now instead of summer. That is a decision that should be made before the season begins. Its makes more sense to sit him for as much as he needs in case time is indeed all he needs in order to heal.

56 minutes ago, Manos A said:

I agree. There is no point in surgery now instead of summer. That is a decision that should be made before the season begins. Its makes more sense to sit him for as much as he needs in case time is indeed all he needs in order to heal.

Unless there is a chance that playing through it could reaggravate the injury... but i'm not a doctor so i have no idea about it.

2 minutes ago, doomz said:

Unless there is a chance that playing through it could reaggravate the injury... but i'm not a doctor so i have no idea about it.

Well im no doctor my self, just saying it would be better to just sit him out for as long as it takes. If there is a reaggravation risk they could just let him watch at the sidelines. What is the gain in getting him through surgery mid season? Anyway lets hope that time is all he needs 

1 hour ago, Manos A said:

Well im no doctor my self, just saying it would be better to just sit him out for as long as it takes. If there is a reaggravation risk they could just let him watch at the sidelines. What is the gain in getting him through surgery mid season? Anyway lets hope that time is all he needs 

Isn't the gain/thought process behind that pretty straightforward ? Why risk consistently aggravating/worsening the injury when he himself has come out and said that any bump to it results in pain that directly impacts and limits his basketball ability. So may as well try and either rehab him like you said or go for surgery which was recommended (but instead he went through non surgery rehab at the beginning of the season) before his rehab and then have him good and ready for summer camps/workouts and the start of next season in top form.

That being said idk how serious it is, he has said its pretty bad and limiting so that would suggest that something needs to be done about it 

Anyway at the end of the day we can speculate all we want to lol its up to the team and Batum so lets see how it plays out. I hope i didn't just throw away a top 50 player into a deal for nothing XD

34 minutes ago, Sab said:

That being said idk how serious it is, he has said its pretty bad and limiting so that would suggest that something needs to be done about it 

Anyway at the end of the day we can speculate all we want to lol its up to the team and Batum so lets see how it plays out. I hope i didn't just throw away a top 50 player into a deal for nothing XD

Obviously i am speculating my self, what i said was in case he could have a surgery in the off season and still make it through rehab till the start of the next season. Trading Batum for a top 75 player feels ok right now i guess.

I choose to hope for the possibility of Batum's comments being a product of pure frustration by the whole situation his elbow has put him in and he can get back on track sooner rather than later. Sometimes players feel ready and thirsty for hooping, but when they realize  that they came back too soon and they have to return to the rehab process and start all over, it can kill their confidence. I know thats an optimistic point of view but since we dont have any power/knowledge over the situation, the least we can do is stay positive.

Edited by Manos A

I don't know what to do with this guy. I think he's going to be tough to own ROS and I'm a huge Batum fan.  Unfortunately everyone in my league are pretty savvy and trades are tough to come by. I'm not sure I can hold through his struggles as his elbow still hasn't been 100% and sounds like it won't for some time.   When a player comes back from injury you hope they are 100% or they continue to get better.  Batum is regressing and I don't like it.

Unfortunately it might mean dropping him as I likely can't get anything of worth.  But might as well try and see if someone will take the bait.  I stashed this guy hoping he would pay off ROS but I think its going to be painful owning him.   Too bad.

He hasn't been 100% healthy yet...

Edited by Big Nate

If the Hornets fall out of playoff hopes (which by the look of it isn't far fetched), forcing a more or less injured guy to play seems stupid. Have to see, but I think trading Batum is a better option going forward. Since the elbow seems to hamper his play anyway, you'll either be stuck with a bruised/semi-performing guy or in the worst case be faced with a shutdown.

Edited by Preparing the Kool-Aid

If his elbow is as big of an issue as he says, which I’m a bit skeptical of, then there’s almost no point in him continuing to play. There’s no doubt his elbow is bothering him but injuries always hurt more when you aren’t playing well.

But really, if he’s in serious discomfort when playing and has to sit out every couple of games because of soreness, I really don’t see why he would continue playing. A veteran on a losing team that is playing poorly and dealing with significant pain that isn’t improving? If there’s a reason to continue putting him out there I’m not seeing it.

Batum's comments are what really concern me, " He said his elbow has really bothered him since he returned three weeks ago and that he's "always" in pain and "not even close to 100 percent." "

This doesn't sound like a guy that might be able to rest a couple days and come back 100%.

I thought he was going to come back 100% and crush it.  I just don't see this happening in December.  He might need the rest of the month off.

2 hours ago, beastmaster said:

Relax, he will triple doubling in no time.

I don't have that mindset since all signs are pointing to the wrong direction. While waiting "patiently" for Batum, racking up losses and horrible overall stat lines, a lot of owners wasted 8 out of the standard 20 weeks of fantasy. 

That is 40% of regular season lol and he is out again today. Props to the patient ones who are still holding and thinks Batum will start putting up top 60 value soon. Because he is 185th for the year, 236th per-36. It may take awhile

On 12/11/2017 at 6:22 AM, Manos A said:

If the injury can be healed with rest then the Hornets already screwed up by not letting him rest long enough. But Batum is right, there is no way to simulate the actual games so there is no way to know if you are truly healed. IT owners, and anyone else that chooses rest/rehab over surgery, is going to have to sweat this as well.

We have no idea what the timeline would be if he had surgery. If he doesn't have surgery and just rests/rehabs he still hasn't "fixed" the problem. I believe surgery is the only way to install a ligament that isn't compromised.  If he rests/rehabs then you should most definitely expect this to last the entire season.  

Whatever the timeline for surgery is has to be subtracted from the start of next season. That will give us a date that Batum and the Hornets will have as their deadline to decide surgery or rest/rehab. There is no way the Hornets allow this season to be impacted by Batum's injury AND next season. The Hornets aren't the smartest organization, but that would be Sacramento Kings type of stupid if they went that route. 

3 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

On one hand, not good.

On the other, I would rather he takes a week to get healthy than playing at 50%.

Hopefully he can get his body right soon.

I am always on the boat of rest players until they are 100%, but I don't think this is possible with Batum. Every game he says he gets hit or feels pain during the actual game. He can navigate practice, but he can't navigate through a game without pain. Even if he feels 100% it is still a compromised ligament/joint that will most likely be re-aggravated.