NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Nic Batum 2017-2018 outlook

rebol2n

On 12/21/2017 at 1:47 AM, MNDOGG said:

Hes hurt fellas....    he suddenly didnt forget how to play basketball.. he isn't garbage.. i wish he was playing like garbage but hes playing hurt and  hes not going to get healthier as the season progresses.. just sucks.

this is not the batum i was hoping for, and i guess i should accept it already.  hard to drop my old friend though

was dropped in my league...I haven't been following him much but I'm curious to know after reading everything here why doesn't he just get surgery or take time off to heal? Kinda head scratching to me. I'm thinking of picking him up hoping he'll turn it around after all star break

2 hours ago, KuramaHiei said:

was dropped in my league...I haven't been following him much but I'm curious to know after reading everything here why doesn't he just get surgery or take time off to heal? Kinda head scratching to me. I'm thinking of picking him up hoping he'll turn it around after all star break

Its possible to turn it around after the ASB but still he wont stop being a shut down candidate. There is no point for Batum to have a surgery now because he can play through it and if he did Hornets dont gain anything from that. He has a big contract so they cant trade him, that means they make him work for it. He will have the surgery in the off season if its still needed without Batum losing any games

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2018 at 9:06 PM, Taipan said:

You guys are missing his point though. Batum has been so terrible even with all the minutes he’s given. He’s been so terrible that I think Kemba gets traded since Batum is untradeable and Cho is a goner.

I should change my name to Nostradamous.

• Like 1

If you focus on his last 4 games you can remain somewhat hopeful: 1.5 3pm 12 pts 4.25 reb 4 asst 1.25 stls

I know he shot horribly in two of those games, but he also shot 45% and 50% in the other two.  I understand it is far from the Batum we are accustomed to, but hey at this point I will not complain no longer if he can produce stats similar to his last 4 

Edited by thusanaysayer

I don't think anyone can complain about his FG% at this point because his current season average is basically on par with his shooting from last year. Just needs to get his 3 point shooting accuracy up and mesh with Howard better (who is clearly affecting Batum's rebounding and assists).

so happy i have him on my bench for this game :angry:

he has been playing bad the entire month and goes up against the team that is #3 in Fantasy Defense so naturally he has his best game. Unbelievable. makes zero sense.  There is just no point in using any logic in fantasy

43 minutes ago, magic32 said:

so happy i have him on my bench for this game :angry:

he has been playing bad the entire month and goes up against the team that is #3 in Fantasy Defense so naturally he has his best game. Unbelievable. makes zero sense.  There is just no point in using any logic in fantasy

Batum is kinda matchup proof,can go off against great defense and shoot terrible in great matchups..doesnt really matter for him

7 minutes ago, thetomkuczek said:

What kind of value are you expecting as a Batum owner? Curious as I'm looking to do the same. 

One thing is sure, he wont average 16 ponts with 5 rebs 5 assists 1,5 steals and 1,5 3s ROS. Walker will be traded... They will try to do the same with Howard but im not sure there is a market for him out there anymore. I am expecting the Hornets to try and dump Batum somewhere as well, but his contract is far from friendly and it will be pretty hard for him to end up somewhere else. Contenders either will not want to waste so many salary space for Batum, or they wont have any anyway. Young teams got no use for Batum but even if they did, his role would be like the one James Johnson is having in Miami which is ok but not ideal. The most possible scenario seems to be the one in which the Hornets enter rebuild mode, trade Walker for a 1st round pick, try to get smthing from Howard and play Batum a few more games until they shut him down completely to give to their limited young talents some run until the end of the season. Batum having a season ending surgery at some point during the season isnt off the table as well. I am targeting top 75 players for him right now but to be honest if im going to be declined i would easily sent him away for a top 100 player with descent PO schedule.

17 minutes ago, Manos A said:

One thing is sure, he wont average 16 ponts with 5 rebs 5 assists 1,5 steals and 1,5 3s ROS. Walker will be traded... They will try to do the same with Howard but im not sure there is a market for him out there anymore. I am expecting the Hornets to try and dump Batum somewhere as well, but his contract is far from friendly and it will be pretty hard for him to end up somewhere else. Contenders either will not want to waste so many salary space for Batum, or they wont have any anyway. Young teams got no use for Batum but even if they did, his role would be like the one James Johnson is having in Miami which is ok but not ideal. The most possible scenario seems to be the one in which the Hornets enter rebuild mode, trade Walker for a 1st round pick, try to get smthing from Howard and play Batum a few more games until they shut him down completely to give to their limited young talents some run until the end of the season. Batum having a season ending surgery at some point during the season isnt off the table as well. I am targeting top 75 players for him right now but to be honest if im going to be declined i would easily sent him away for a top 100 player with descent PO schedule.

I will agree 110% with what you are saying. Anyone in particular if you don't mind me asking? I floated his name around everywhere. Is a Marquese Chriss worth it with his injury risk? Not sure.. I like your team a lot, by the way. Very nicely done for a 14 team especially! I'm going to assume you might some nice pick-ups/trades. 

I am of the opinion that he is in the process of “turning the corner” on the season and will play out the rest of the season on the Hornets providing top 75 value. I’ve endured his “crapitude” all season and intend to reap whatever benefit(s) he has to offer. 

1 hour ago, thetomkuczek said:

I will agree 110% with what you are saying. Anyone in particular if you don't mind me asking? I floated his name around everywhere. Is a Marquese Chriss worth it with his injury risk? Not sure.. I like your team a lot, by the way. Very nicely done for a 14 team especially! I'm going to assume you might some nice pick-ups/trades. 

I wanted to pair him with a guy like Prince to get a buy low guy like Convigton but Prince is pretty frustrating since his finger injury and he has 0 trade value right now. Chriss ofc is a 2nd half breakout candidate but his injury does seems a bit concerning and i would not want to give anything valuable. He will probably be out the next week as well and that might mess with his momentum if it hasnt already. Ofc there is a chance 1 month from now he might break out and i might be quoted and feel silly for not advising you to go for it... If you cant pair him with a 100 to 120  rand player to get a buy low candidate then you could settle for a James Johnson type of player. To be honest id rather own Lamp in a month from now....

56 minutes ago, Taipan said:

I am of the opinion that he is in the process of “turning the corner” on the season and will play out the rest of the season on the Hornets providing top 75 value. I’ve endured his “crapitude” all season and intend to reap whatever benefit(s) he has to offer. 

That makes some sense but why take the risk? Try to get another top 75 player with safe ROS value wont hurt...

• 2 weeks later...