NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Boban Marjanovic 2017-2018 Season Outlook

MONEY BALL

Boban with the +27 ±rating in just 15 minutes! that'd have to be close to a record.

Hopefully they can keep him out there and he can single handedly destroy this whole 'small ball' 'stretch 4 and 5' garbage. 

Big fella, putting up big stats, getting the team the win (but can't get on the court) aka everyones myplayer on 2k.

Til' we see this beast again enjoy the gif entitled 'Boban dunks on Jeremy Evans, gives him the most intimidating hug ever, and then threatens to end everything he ever loved'

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Boban always puts up stats when he plays.  I think it is because when he is in they play "feed him the ball" because of the entertainment.    In this case it worked and often does.  If he were on my team he'd be more spark plug.  When things aint going well insert him and it may spark something,  In the case last night it did.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:06 AM, JormaJormala said:

Playing him significant minutes means you have to completely change your game plan. You have to do everything differently for one guy to excel. It makes no sense.

Boban's teammates seemed to do pretty well with him on the floor yesterday.  The Clippers were a +27 in Boban's 15 minutes.  For his career, his teams have averaged 124 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor and have allowed 100 points per 100 possessions with him on the floor.  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/marjabo01.html   So, whenever he's been on the floor, It's certainly not like Boban is putting up numbers while hurting the team.

I wish Boban was playing somewhere where he'd get a chance to play regularly and with a coach that knew how to use his strength.  The Clippers are a horrible fit for him because it's not really possible to play both him and DeAndre Jordan at the same time.

On 2/28/2018 at 2:20 PM, sharkpotato said:

What about tomorrow? Too slow for Black and Nene?

he'll die playing vs MDA offense

Edit" it was saved when my chrome crashed. forgot to reply. and I was right, Doc really didn't trust him there vs MDA offense

On 3/1/2018 at 4:19 AM, Xmantt said:

he'll die playing vs MDA offense

Edit" it was saved when my chrome crashed. forgot to reply. and I was right, Doc really didn't trust him there vs MDA offense

Every time Boban plays, he plays well and the team does well with him on the court too.  Yet Boban doesn't even get a chance to play at all most nights.  I don't get it.  Hasn't he at least earned the opportunity to play even 15 mins a game to see what he can do?  I still think Boban's career might have turned out differently if he had chosen to stay with the Spurs because Popovich would have known how to use a big man in the post and to take advantage of his strengths.

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Every time Boban plays, he plays well and the team does well with him on the court too.  Yet Boban doesn't even get a chance to play at all most nights.  I don't get it.  Hasn't he at least earned the opportunity to play even 15 mins a game to see what he can do?  I still think Boban's career might have turned out differently if he had chosen to stay with the Spurs because Popovich would have known how to use a big man in the post and to take advantage of his strengths.

Yeah, probably. He would have helped Spurs this year/last year a great deal as well. He appeared in 54 games in his first year with Spurs, a number which took him about 2 years to pass after that (last year 35, this year 24). If he had stayed with the Spurs, he would have definitely played more.

But oh well. 

I just don't understand how Vince is still playing in a team and this dude isn't. He's a hell of a scorer, I'm sure he can help a team out there.

Edited by rush007

1 hour ago, rush007 said:

Yeah, probably. He would have helped Spurs this year/last year a great deal as well. He appeared in 54 games in his first year with Spurs, a number which took him about 2 years to pass after that (last year 35, this year 24). If he had stayed with the Spurs, he would have definitely played more.

But oh well. 

I just don't understand how Vince is still playing in a team and this dude isn't. He's a hell of a scorer, I'm sure he can help a team out there.

Boban is a horrible fit on the Clippers because you can't really play him and DeAndre at the same time and obviously Rivers isn't going to bench DeAndre (although I do firmly believe Boban is already a superior offensive player to DeAndre).

Yeah, I wish Boban had stayed with the Spurs.  During his rookie year, his minutes were really trending up with the Spurs late in the year too.  He was often seeing 20+ minutes a game during that stretch...the only time that's happened during his career.

I think I a coach like Popovich who knows what he is doing and knows how to use a traditional big man in the post would have been perfect for Boban.  Will Boban ever be a great defensive player?  No, but I bet Pop would have known how to utilize Boban's offensive and rebounding skills and he would have been a good enough coach to create defensive schemes that would have at least somewhat mitigated Boban's defensive shortcomings guarding on the perimeter.

• Like 4