NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Boban Marjanovic 2017-2018 Season Outlook

MONEY BALL

36 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

why trade Griffin?  Why not build around him

Build what and when? Teams are embracing the tanking mode because if you cant compete for a championship it doesnt matter if you are just good. The only thing that matters is the championship. Do you really think Blake could lead a team to the title? Naaaah, teams are stalling their development to avoid the Warriors dynasty. Also Clippers might be a Los Angeles team but they do not attract free agents like New York Miami and Lakers. Rebuilding was the only path. Actually Clippers played their cards great. They decided to disband right in time so they got some pieces from Paul (Louis Williams might turn to another 1st round pick), they signed Blake a long contract to make him an amazing trade asset and now they are ready to unload the rest of the Veterans. Thobias is a young star with allstar potential entering his peak years. Bradley and Bev are 2 of the best peripheral defenders in the league even if they are not healthy right now. Then you get Boban who is a great back up Center and last but not least THE PICKS. Clippers handled the situation with perfect timing and patience at the same time. They are already loaded with assets but they can still get some back from DJ Louis or even Gallo.  

Edited by Manos A
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

why trade Griffin?  Why not build around him

The dude has missed large parts of the season almost every year of his career, and has a 150 million dollar contract that goes into his mid 30s...when he couldn't even stay healthy in his prime. I'm more surprised they didn't do it sooner.

• Like 2

if you guys say so, I don't really follow too much but it seems like mid round picks are a crapshoot, and these guys are all nice filler pieces but no star potential

in the meantime you give up (yes a guy who gets hurt alot) one of the best players all around in the game, and wont be able to attract anyone to sign in the future

15 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

if you guys say so, I don't really follow too much but it seems like mid round picks are a crapshoot, and these guys are all nice filler pieces but no star potential

in the meantime you give up (yes a guy who gets hurt alot) one of the best players all around in the game, and wont be able to attract anyone to sign in the future

Well they wouldn't have the cap to sign anyone in the future with Griffin getting 35%

3 hours ago, Manos A said:

Build what and when? Teams are embracing the tanking mode because if you cant compete for a championship it doesnt matter if you are just good. The only thing that matters is the championship. Do you really think Blake could lead a team to the title? Naaaah, teams are stalling their development to avoid the Warriors dynasty. Also Clippers might be a Los Angeles team but they do not attract free agents like New York Miami and Lakers. Rebuilding was the only path. Actually Clippers played their cards great. They decided to disband right in time so they got some pieces from Paul (Louis Williams might turn to another 1st round pick), they signed Blake a long contract to make him an amazing trade asset and now they are ready to unload the rest of the Veterans. Thobias is a young star with allstar potential entering his peak years. Bradley and Bev are 2 of the best peripheral defenders in the league even if they are not healthy right now. Then you get Boban who is a great back up Center and last but not least THE PICKS. Clippers handled the situation with perfect timing and patience at the same time. They are already loaded with assets but they can still get some back from DJ Louis or even Gallo.  

great write up

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Manos A said:

Agreed with a few points and disagreed with others.

Clippers did the right thing by avoiding the West right now--it's basically just the Dubs vs the Rockets with OKC as a potential dark horse...no team can or should challenge them in the West.  Not a bad idea to rebuild, even if it IS midseason.  Yes, they did get some pieces from CP3 and Blake, and they're likely to get some decent deals for DAJ and Lou.

My disagreement lies in your assessment of the pieces they're getting back.  The picks are nice.  I wouldn't say that Toby is an all-star, or even a star.  He's a good player, but I wouldn't want to rebuild around him, in the same way that my Mavs are (or were) trying to rebuild around Harry B.  Bradley is gone next year and he took a huge step back from his days on the Celts.  Pat Bev and Gallo/Rivers are so injury-prone that I wouldn't want to stake my future on them, even if they're fine defensive/offensive weapons, respectively.  Milos isn't young.  The roster is in shambles now.  The Clippers are probably gonna be miserable for at least the next 3-4 years, which is okay, since that'll be enough time to watch the twilight of the Dubs.

The Clippers really have to find a way to build up a core or a direction after they move Lou and DAJ.  Tank and build up with the draft?  Or start to find some midround guys to build around?  There's not much leverage they can use to grab a FA this season, esp since the more established LA team should be gunning for Lebron/PG and creating another superteam, if they don't continue to embrace their youth movement.  Personally, I'd be offering DAJ to a contender for some players to rebuild around.  DAJ to the Cavs for IT2, or to the Bucks for Brogdon, Henson and a pick?  Ditto with Lou.

2 minutes ago, ThottiePippen said:

hasnt even played a minute yet but Im already thinking DROP CITY lmao fantasy hype can be cruel

Hahaha, certainly a gamble, but you just gotta evaluate whether it's worth waiting for.

I grabbed JRich in all leagues...turned out to be fantasy gold.  I also grabbed Chriss in all leagues.  That didn't turn out too well.

It's fine to take a bit of risk for upside as long as you can afford it...just hold your expectations in check and never stay too attached.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chud12 said:

Did any1 think he was playing right away?? I thought he was a stash for the trade deadline to see if Jordon is traded and if the Clips do not get a C back. I am puzzled here. 

We expected to see him get some burn even as a back up. If he doesn't play at all, of course that is disappointing. 

Edited by HotSauce24

But he’s not the back up. He’s a throw in piece. Dude is negligible until Deandre is gone, and even then, Tobias, Danilo, and Lou will soak up usage, and the ghost of Avery Bradley will try to resurrect a semblance of a rebound from his Celtics days. More moves and getting no bigs in return is the only way Boban pans out.