NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nikola Jokic or Kawhi Leonard as Keeper?

Hey all, our league has two keepers (everyone has to be turned over every two years) and I'm in a very good spot with KD, Kawhi Leonard, and Nikola Jokic. I can keep 2 and one is going to be KD.

I default to thinking I should continue with KD and Kawhi, but I'm now thinking to pair KD with Jokic. I'd love your thoughts.

Edited by HoosiersIU
spelling error in title

I would recommend talking your league into keeping 3 players......KD, Jokic and Kawhi are my keepers in a keep 3 league.  Back to your questions.....I would agree that you absolutely keep KD.  Your next keeper could be dependent on league settings. 9 cat definitely Kawhi but it's more of an argument if you can ignore Jokic's turnoversin 8 cat.  I would lean toward Kawhi as you do but if it's 8 cat and you love watching Jokic highlights of him dropping dimes that's certainly not a bad decision.  

Help here if you can: 

You need to post the format of your league. H2H or roto. 8 or 9 cat. And include the number of teams.

You should trade the one you don't keep for an improvement in your draft position. Someone will pay for Kawhi or Jokic. 

My bad. First forum post if the new season. It’s a 10 team standard H2H. Can’t trade anyone. Whoever I don’t goose gets dumped back into the draft. I’ll draft at the end of the new first round so I won’t get whoever I let go. Not looking to punt anything.

4 hours ago, HoosiersIU said:

My bad. First forum post if the new season. It’s a 10 team standard H2H. Can’t trade anyone. Whoever I don’t goose gets dumped back into the draft. I’ll draft at the end of the new first round so I won’t get whoever I let go. Not looking to punt anything.

No worries....I would keep Kawhi.

My thinking is bigs that don't force a punt and heavy usage guards are probably being kept by your competitors. And you are at the end of the first round which makes players with significant strengths that don't include significant downsides in cats more unlikely to fall to you. Kawhi moves the needle in more cats than Jokic and pairs really nice with KD. You still have flexibility to build and I would assume you won't have too many options for blocks that don't tank you somewhere else so it is good to have an elite base in steals. KD/Kawhi allows you to be like water and move based on what the draft is giving you and not force anything or make a panic move...you will see opportunities to cat kill without having to reach. 

I'm a little confused by this though b/c Rotoworld projects Jokic to have only 1.5 turnovers (elite) and Kawhi to have 2.1 (decent). I guess I don't see the logic in saying you have to punt with Jokic.

On 10/6/2017 at 6:20 PM, mcjohnson22 said:

I would recommend talking your league into keeping 3 players......KD, Jokic and Kawhi are my keepers in a keep 3 league.  Back to your questions.....I would agree that you absolutely keep KD.  Your next keeper could be dependent on league settings. 9 cat definitely Kawhi but it's more of an argument if you can ignore Jokic's turnoversin 8 cat.  I would lean toward Kawhi as you do but if it's 8 cat and you love watching Jokic highlights of him dropping dimes that's certainly not a bad decision.  

Help here if you can: 

Thanks for the great insight. Based on who I think others in the league are keeping, I think there will be a shortage of PGs until I pick around 50 (where there's good value). So I could still get someone like Millsap, M. Turner, B. Lopez for blocks at the end of our first round. This is a tough one though.

18 hours ago, thezing1 said:

No worries....I would keep Kawhi.

My thinking is bigs that don't force a punt and heavy usage guards are probably being kept by your competitors. And you are at the end of the first round which makes players with significant strengths that don't include significant downsides in cats more unlikely to fall to you. Kawhi moves the needle in more cats than Jokic and pairs really nice with KD. You still have flexibility to build and I would assume you won't have too many options for blocks that don't tank you somewhere else so it is good to have an elite base in steals. KD/Kawhi allows you to be like water and move based on what the draft is giving you and not force anything or make a panic move...you will see opportunities to cat kill without having to reach. 

Keep Kawhi. More dependable.

Would try to get your league to keep 3, but highly doubt they do that at this point.

Maybe trade Kawhi + Jokic for Curry or Westbrook? idk.

This one's tough but I'd probably pick Jokic. Jokic as far as I know doesn't have any injury history (legs, knees, feet) for a big and his game is safe for a big. The only thing that's stopping him is his conditioning which is the norm for young Euro bigs. Pairing KD with Jokic gives you an insane boost in FG and elite asts for SF/PF/C. It also lessens the headache of looking for bigs which doesn't hurt your FT and TOs and looking for guards with elite assists.

Kawhi will still be in good hands once Pop retires unless they don't go for Messina. He hasn't been too reliable though in games played per season which is probably why they have been letting Green handle the tougher assignments for the first three quarters of games to lessen the amount of plays he is involved in. It's probably a bit unfair to compare his injury history with Jokic since he has been in the league for longer and has been playing deep into the playoffs since he was drafted. Pairing KD with Kawhi gives you elite steals and a little boost in points and 3s compared to Jokic with a slight downgrade in asts unless Kawhi improves his game there. This pairing lessens the headache of finding stls later among guards and forwards that doesn't hurt your FG% too badly.

Considering the current risk, I'd lean Jokic IMO.

Great read! I'm leaning toward this logic too. Plus I'm a little scared by KD's injury last year. If I had him in the playoffs I wouldn't have lost in the championship. I'm a little nervous about carrying both KD and Kawhi and betting on luck that I'll have them both in the playoffs. Plus, if KD and Jokic can both average 5+ assists that'll lessen the impact of maybe not picking a PG until around 50.

8 minutes ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

This one's tough but I'd probably pick Jokic. Jokic as far as I know doesn't have any injury history (legs, knees, feet) for a big and his game is safe for a big. The only thing that's stopping him is his conditioning which is the norm for young Euro bigs. Pairing KD with Jokic gives you an insane boost in FG and elite asts for SF/PF/C. It also lessens the headache of looking for bigs which doesn't hurt your FT and TOs and looking for guards with elite assists.

Kawhi will still be in good hands once Pop retires unless they don't go for Messina. He hasn't been too reliable though in games played per season which is probably why they have been letting Green handle the tougher assignments for the first three quarters of games to lessen the amount of plays he is involved in. It's probably a bit unfair to compare his injury history with Jokic since he has been in the league for longer and has been playing deep into the playoffs since he was drafted. Pairing KD with Kawhi gives you elite steals and a little boost in points and 3s compared to Jokic with a slight downgrade in asts unless Kawhi improves his game there. This pairing lessens the headache of finding stls later among guards and forwards that doesn't hurt your FG% too badly.

Considering the current risk, I'd lean Jokic IMO.

I love Jokic, but I'd keep Kawhi this year.  Durant and Kawhi will give you very stable, high level production.  Durant and Kawhi combo is super easy to build around as the draft unfolds.