Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jonas Valanciunas 2017-2018 Season Outlook


crazybob60
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 21.11.2017 at 7:35 AM, patentboy23 said:

Could have a big game against Knicks. Who's starting him?

 

Last game against Knicks he got 19 minutes and didn't do much. Not counting on things to change based on what people are saying here. So yeah, chose him as the player to bench on this stacked night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If switching pick and rolls onto guards that are threats from deep is his big issue, don't think he will have that issue with Jack/Ntilikina. Right?

 

Could be an issue with Tim Hardaway Jr.

 

Either way looks like he's only gonna get 8 minutes in the first half. Lame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love to see JV traded to Dallas for Nerlens. I think this would be a beneficial situation for both players.

 

Dallas just needs more talent as they prepare for Dirk's decline, while the Raps need a rental who can bring hustle and defense, not take shots away from their stars, who also won't push the team into luxury tax.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, RafiBomb said:

AC-ish but simple enough question for this forum i believe. Is he worth owning in competitive 10-team leagues?

 

Thanks guys! If it's too AC i'll direct my question there so let me know.

I am seriously questioning this now too. I have tried to trade him but nobody is biting.

 

If he's traded he immediately gets his value back but in Toronto he could well be WW material if he keeps getting 15mpg. I am going to ride it out of a bit longer and see if anything happens on the trade front 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, richg24 said:

they all suck badly haha. i been to too many raps games so I see it first hand

 

In terms of Fantasy maybe, but Poeltl and Siakam in particular are really nice pieces for the Raptors. They literally change the way the team can play, which is a good thing. 

 

Interesting reading for anyone interested:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/opinion/2017/11/24/raptors-jonas-valanciunas-trying-to-keep-with-the-nba-game.html

 

Kind of sums up the fate of JV...just doesn't fit, too slow both mentally and physically to keep up with the game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

So guys, what is your standpoint on JV? 

 

Is anyone still holding him? 

 

I have him in my 14-team league and I am thinking of dropping soon, just don't see a way he could get more minutes on the Raptors (or any other team in case he gets traded). I'd rather roster someone with more upside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have a faster pace rn and less isolations, siakam always runs. JV as we know is kinda thentypical big, a bit slow, but bruising with a nice touch. He does not fit anymore.

Also, Casey has been like this to JV since i can remember, drafted him 1 time 2-3 years ago then never again, slow or fast pace, Casey has a tendency to sit JV. Now they have more faster athletic bigs, people are starting to realize he's not a fit anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Xmantt said:

They have a faster pace rn and less isolations, siakam always runs. JV as we know is kinda thentypical big, a bit slow, but bruising with a nice touch. He does not fit anymore.

Also, Casey has been like this to JV since i can remember, drafted him 1 time 2-3 years ago then never again, slow or fast pace, Casey has a tendency to sit JV. Now they have more faster athletic bigs, people are starting to realize he's not a fit anymore.

They should have a tendency to rest him most this season if you think about it. JV is big and slow BUT he's their best PLAYOFF player. When guys like Lowry and DeRozan disappear they rely on JV in the playoffs.  Can't burn him out regular season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IkeDola510 said:

They should have a tendency to rest him most this season if you think about it. JV is big and slow BUT he's their best PLAYOFF player. When guys like Lowry and DeRozan disappear they rely on JV in the playoffs.  Can't burn him out regular season. 

 

This is utter myth. One decent series (4 good games 3 bad ones) and one good game against Whiteside and the mythical "playoff JV" is born. Where was he against the Cavs three years running? Getting run off the floor by Frye and Love or getting out hustled by Thompson that is where. Where was he against the Wizards? Getting schooled by the Polish hammer that's where. Where was he against the bucks last year? Getting outplayed by THON MAKER...and yes you read that last part right. It was DeRozan that carried the team to the victory against the Bucks...so lets just stick to some discussion based in reality not the #JVHive cycloptic assessments...

 

Like @Xmantt said he doesn't fit in the league anymore and is way overpaid. It's Masai's one big mistake and sadly the Knicks already have so many centres so he can't even pull a Bargnani deal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

 

This is utter myth. One decent series (4 good games 3 bad ones) and one good game against Whiteside and the mythical "playoff JV" is born. Where was he against the Cavs three years running? Getting run off the floor by Frye and Love or getting out hustled by Thompson that is where. Where was he against the Wizards? Getting schooled by the Polish hammer that's where. Where was he against the bucks last year? Getting outplayed by THON MAKER...and yes you read that last part right. It was DeRozan that carried the team to the victory against the Bucks...so lets just stick to some discussion based in reality not the #JVHive cycloptic assessments...

 

Like @Xmantt said he doesn't fit in the league anymore and is way overpaid. It's Masai's one big mistake and sadly the Knicks already have so many centres so he can't even pull a Bargnani deal

Lowry is horrible in the playoffs and DeRozan isn't the same player because he doesn't get to the ft line. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/raptors/2017/04/16/derozan-and-lowry-add-to-bad-nba-playoff-rep-feschuk.html&ved=0ahUKEwjWiOjJnIDYAhUT32MKHa8-DxsQFgg1MAI&usg=AOvVaw0GzqCxOnJMHehCX6n60jfK&ampcf=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...