NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Conley 2017-2018 Season Outlook

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pilkie01 said:

Lads, is there time table for him yet? He's just been dropped in my league.

Well on nov 29th they said he would be 2 to 3 weeks and he was already doing on court work at the beginning of last week..

His last game was also nov 14th so that's almost a month since he last played.

on dec 5th conley said he'll take his time in his recovery and they said they expect it to be fully healed once he returns. 

Were almost 2 weeks since the nov 29th timeline, so I assume in a couple days we'll hear he's either back near the end of this week or some time next week (it's safer to assume next week). They keep losing close games and are still only 4 spots back of the final playoff spot - so I imagine he'll want to return as quickly as possible because every loss in the West matters.

1 hour ago, OKCFan2005 said:

Basketballmonster.com

Mike Conley projected return date is 12/16 on Saturday. BBM not 100% reliable but pretty accurate imo.

Looks correct here. However, BBM is something you should ignore if you're looking for an accurate timeline for a player's return. They basically use the most optimistic date possible from a timeline, in order to keep good, injured players (like, say, Kawhi) having as many games projected as possible in their seasonlong projections so that they don't slip too far in their rankings and make things look weird.

16 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Looks correct here. However, BBM is something you should ignore if you're looking for an accurate timeline for a player's return. They basically use the most optimistic date possible from a timeline, in order to keep good, injured players (like, say, Kawhi) having as many games projected as possible in their seasonlong projections so that they don't slip too far in their rankings and make things look weird.

Yeah, you're pretty much spot on. I give them (BBM) a little extra credit than you though. Any other sites to look at that's more credible?

33 minutes ago, OKCFan2005 said:

Yeah, you're pretty much spot on. I give them (BBM) a little extra credit than you though. Any other sites to look at that's more credible?

For injury timelines I can't really answer. I'll look into beat writers if I really care but I don't know of any catch all resources for accurate information. Would also love if anyone else could provide one though. 

Conley (Achilles) has started performing light on-court work and conditioning, Michael Wallace of Grizzlies.com reports. An official timetable for a return still has yet to be determined.

Added 6:15 pm (EST) rw_logo_white_transparent_optimize_small.png
It was announced in late November that Conley would miss two-to-three weeks. We've entered the two-week portion of that timetable, though there haven't been reports of his progress up until this news. It doesn't appear he's approaching a return very soon, as he's apparently still working on putting pressure on his Achilles and trying to get back into game shape. In the meantime, Andrew Harrison, Tyreke Evans and Mario Chalmers are all pitching in to fill in minutes at point guard.
8 hours ago, Shredded said:

Sounds like 2018 to me 

Seeing as no one else in BB will stick their neck out with a believable date, you’re now the default authority on Mike’s Achilles. Thank you! And congrats! Pencilling in the new year, pending further notice. :lol:

fwiw Jan feels like as good a guess as any but whotf can say? I just hope he’s using a personal trainer from the WWE...

On 12/13/2017 at 12:16 PM, miasma16 said:

Not sure about that, they had Teodosic's return as being in mid-January (month later than actual) and they nailed  Kawhi's return more than a month in advance when basically no one had any idea when he'd be back. They also show the sources for all of their injury information in their updates, usually comes from beat writers or  official team statements. 

4 hours ago, Purple Hippo said:

Not sure about that, they had Teodosic's return as being in mid-January (month later than actual) and they nailed  Kawhi's return more than a month in advance when basically no one had any idea when he'd be back. They also show the sources for all of their injury information in their updates, usually comes from beat writers or  official team statements. 

K. Their optimism is correct often enough, but their projections are derived from exactly where I said they are. 

10 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

As per basketballmonster - "He'll be reevaluated in ANOTHER TWO WEEKS."  WTF. And I thought I had a steal when I traded Donovan Mitchell for him last month before he was hurt. 

Yikes, that trade looks horrendous now. 

I don't believe he's gonna play this season actually or at least he's not going to give us what we expected from him. The Grizzlies may tank if they don't improve their record and right now things are really bad for them. I drafted Gobert, Conley and Bradley and they're just killing me. 

37 minutes ago, ugr23 said:

I don't believe he's gonna play this season actually or at least he's not going to give us what we expected from him. The Grizzlies may tank if they don't improve their record and right now things are really bad for them. I drafted Gobert, Conley and Bradley and they're just killing me. 

based on what? sounds like he's still working on it and assuming that they get it back to a healthy place I don't see why they won't play him... lots of season left.

Also, Conley doesn't see like the type of player to sit out when healthy. I'm glad he's taking his time getting it right and will hopefully get to 100% soon.

He’ll definitely play but the Grizz are on a major slide and I think they’ll embrace the tank this year.

Even when he’s back I’d expect rest games and for him to be pulled the last 5-10 games of the year.

No proof to back any of this up but I’ll be sure to share this post in a couple months.

• 2 weeks later...