NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

jfazz23

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100-130 seems high to me I get it. I love him as a player and its a great lineup and all but for me I'll most likely pass on him there. There are players I feel better about in that range. 

Definitely a target of mine. Steamer projects him to have a K% of 21.9%, which is pretty much league average. He's also projected to have a BB% of 11.4%, which is quite good. If he gives you 30 homers, 90-100 RBI, 80-90 runs, and a 120+ wRC+, you're looking at a very good player. 

He went in the 9th round in the first mock draft and the 12th round in the second draft. If things go as planned, he could produce like a 5th round player. 

38 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Definitely a target of mine. Steamer projects him to have a K% of 21.9%, which is pretty much league average. He's also projected to have a BB% of 11.4%, which is quite good. If he gives you 30 homers, 90-100 RBI, 80-90 runs, and a 120+ wRC+, you're looking at a very good player. 

He went in the 9th round in the first mock draft and the 12th round in the second draft. If things go as planned, he could produce like a 5th round player. 

I guess I'm still hyped up, but I agree. Bird feels like an overreaction to last year's hype train, he's almost going too cheap. The only injury he had that concerns me was the back, and he showed me enough in the post season for me to not care about that much. If he hits in the middle of that mass of humanity, and manages a .275+ campaign, he's an easy third round value. 

4 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

I guess I'm still hyped up, but I agree. Bird feels like an overreaction to last year's hype train, he's almost going too cheap. The only injury he had that concerns me was the back, and he showed me enough in the post season for me to not care about that much. If he hits in the middle of that mass of humanity, and manages a .275+ campaign, he's an easy third round value. 

i agree....he could out produce jose abreu in runs, hr, rbis...and lose out in BA...and SB would be a wash

• 1 month later...

Not that it makes a huge difference imo but does anyone have a good guess as to where he will hit? My guess is 6th- but I've heard I think a couple mention the possibility of 3rd. Breaking up Judge and Stanton. I'm not sure I think he'll start off 3rd myself but its definitely a possibility and if he gets cooking he certainly could force Boone's hand. Any thoughts ?

2 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Not that it makes a huge difference imo but does anyone have a good guess as to where he will hit? My guess is 6th- but I've heard I think a couple mention the possibility of 3rd. Breaking up Judge and Stanton. I'm not sure I think he'll start off 3rd myself but its definitely a possibility and if he gets cooking he certainly could force Boone's hand. Any thoughts ?

Rotochamp projects him batting 5th, behind Sanchez and in front of Didi.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Interesting. I would have thought Didi would hit 3rd to breakup the 2 big RHB. Gary 5th and Bird 6th. Something I'm definitely going to keep an eye on in Spring Training. 

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

they wouldnt hit the lefties back to back.

im thinking 3rd or 5th.

Gardner,judge,bird,stanton, sanchez, didi

or

gardner, judge, stanton, bird, sanchez, didi

2 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

Interesting. I would have thought Didi would hit 3rd to breakup the 2 big RHB. Gary 5th and Bird 6th. Something I'm definitely going to keep an eye on in Spring Training. 

didi is a nice little player, but he isnt a 3 hitter.  bird is a legit 40 homer guy i think. 

16 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

didi is a nice little player, but he isnt a 3 hitter.  bird is a legit 40 homer guy i think. 

I would have said the exact same thing myself two years ago but I mean its awfully hard to doubt the guy anymore he's put up B2B career years and while I love Bird he hasn't done a whole lot - yes I know injuries and everything but its still something even the biggest Bird fans have to admit. Its something I'm sort of torn about the upside with Bird is certainly huge but to me its very hard to discount what Didi has done the past 2 years. Its crazy when I think about just how much he has improved since coming from the Dbacks and replacing The Captain. I think the question of where he and Bird hits is very interesting and a legit one too. -I'll be very interested to see what happens here. DDD- Don't Doubt Didi:D

2 hours ago, MJDrocks said:

I like Bird but much like last year, I could see his ADP climbing dramatically if he has a good spring or if the hype continues.  I'll be keeping an eye on him.

Early draft teams I want him before market correction happens. The closer to the opening day the fewer teams I'll have him on. Might change if he has a good Spring but I don't want him before the 7th round no matter what and can see hype moving him past that point

38 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

I would have said the exact same thing myself two years ago but I mean its awfully hard to doubt the guy anymore he's put up B2B career years and while I love Bird he hasn't done a whole lot - yes I know injuries and everything but its still something even the biggest Bird fans have to admit. Its something I'm sort of torn about the upside with Bird is certainly huge but to me its very hard to discount what Didi has done the past 2 years. Its crazy when I think about just how much he has improved since coming from the Dbacks and replacing The Captain. I think the question of where he and Bird hits is very interesting and a legit one too. -I'll be very interested to see what happens here. DDD- Don't Doubt Didi:D

I know if I'm stranded in a foreign country where I don't speak their language, Didi probably does and would be able to keep me alive and out of jail lol.

Archived