NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Bird 2018 Outlook

jfazz23

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Are we all holding onto Bird? 

I remember this was discussed last year. 

i personally am...but i completely understand if you are dropping him

20 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Omg, folks this is Nick Johnson all over again.

Son of a ... I was thinking the same thing but I bit my tongue. Nick Johnson  was actually made of glass. Just terrible news. Lets hope this gets him right and there arent lingering complications trying to look on bright side at least it happened early 

i love Greg Bird but i drafted him last year with high expectations and it was frustrating to say the least. He did help me in the end. But my experience last year made me stay away from drafting him this year and i am glad i did. it sucks but at least he wont be out until September

Yeah, I'm in the camp that doesn't mind stashing him on the DL and seeing how this plays out, but I didn't spend much on him. Frankly, considering how much he struggled in the spring, I don't mind a DL stint and rehab assignment for him to get right. It beats him being awful in my lineup for several weeks before I finally decide to drop him.

13 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i personally am...but i completely understand if you are dropping him

This year I stayed away from the Bird ... fooled me last year

7 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I have DL spots to burn, and he only cost me $1. No biggie. 

That ain’t going to happen ... just in case you forgot the DL spot has become crazzzzy . They have something called the 7 DL 

For those in deeper leagues - looks like we are looking at an Austin/Walker platoon for time being. Walker not a bad add 1b/2b eligible.  As an aside any other masochists out there looking at this as a potential buy low seeing as at the very least there is a time table and it happened very early in the year?

7 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

For those in deeper leagues - looks like we are looking at an Austin/Walker platoon for time being. Walker not a bad add 1b/2b eligible.  As an aside any other masochists out there looking at this as a potential buy low seeing as at the very least there is a time table and it happened very early in the year?

Yeah I’m lucky enough to have Bird in a keeper league (eye roll) but I’ll be hanging on to him in my DL spot. He should easily be back to contribute after the ASB break and I’d imagine his sport will still be there for him. He will help you in the playoffs.

He is now one of those 'never again' guys who people will avoid because of how many times he has burned the hype train.

I know ST is meaningless and the exact inverse was true for last year, buuut how can anyone have looked at his ST numbers this season and felt truly confident in drafting him (Relative to his ADP)? I know I know. Spring training doesn't matter. But a .267 OBP in 60 AB's in Greg Bird's case makes me want to pump the brakes. There are other players who I wouldn't care as much about, but for Bird it was more alarming. His opponent quality for Spring Training 2018 in 60 AB's is a 7.0 which equals AA pitching level that he has been facing.  

I dont agree. ill take a chance on anyone past rounds 10+ if they have upside regardless of risk. It's not like anyone drafted this guy in the first round. 

59 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Wednesday or Thursday, when everyone else hits the DL. Pin this!

Haha. No doubt. 

However, the Sawx put a few guys on the DL today, so there's an off-chance it happens before then. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

How long til he hits the DL in Yahoo??? Any guesses?

Whenever the Yankees DL him.  Could happen by tomorrow.  Boston already DL'ed all their players like Mugsy just said.  And on Yahoo so far this season as soon as a player is DL'ed by their team they are DL'ed on Yahoo.  No more waiting overnight.  (Crossing fingers I just didn't jinx that).

You'd think that with all of his endless injuries that Greg Bird played on and was attended by the medical staff of the "other" New York team.

The guy has barely finished a cup of coffee and some of you are putting him into retirement. Full disclosure, I was all over this guy (5/9 teams) this go-round, but to bury him this early in his career seems a bit premature. Hope to see this boy take off in June. And honestly, you shouldn't really need him til the playoffs. 

*Cue bird crashing gif*

22 minutes ago, jstep13 said:

I dont agree. ill take a chance on anyone past rounds 10+ if they have upside regardless of risk. It's not like anyone drafted this guy in the first round. 

I'm not saying I won't take him, I'm more likely to take him now at his lessened value. Just that he has burned the hype train many times now, and that is going to actually make him a buying opportunity. Post-hype, yo.

25 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

I'm not saying I won't take him, I'm more likely to take him now at his lessened value. Just that he has burned the hype train many times now, and that is going to actually make him a buying opportunity. Post-hype, yo.

Sorry I must've misread it when you said he's one of those 'never again' guys. 

Archived