NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jimmy Butler 2017-2018 Season Outlook

Reallllly rough 3 games to start the season.  I'm officially concerned.

He's attempted 3 FTs TOTAL in 3 games, and has gone to the line 0 times in 2 out of 3 games.

Who is this guy and what has he done with Jimmy Buckets?

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Friday, he was asked when he'll know the time is right to seek his own shot more.   "Right now, right now," he said. "I'm going back to putting the ball in the basket. I like to put the b

=IF(Jimmy+IR,”HOLD”,”DROP”) Very simple 

Posted Images

Just now, pdids911 said:

wiggins is a ******** black hole. its like no one is noticing they have all world player on their team. 

he was crucial in the win. it pisses me off because i own towns, and even though towns had a great game, he would be way more beast if not for wiggins. wiggins is a pure scorer and can't do anything else and never looks to pass.

for the first 7 min of the 4th, towns i think touched the ball like 3 times, yet he was shooting like 60% fg and when he finally got the ball in last 20 seconds he scored the go ahead basket.

butler is also being left out, he is playing team ball and not being aggressive enough so he not getting his 

• Like 2

Was thinking of trading for him since I didnt think usage would be a problem since Lavine-Towns-Wiggins all coexisted and scored ~20ppg each; Teague isnt Rubio though and actually looks to score so thats where that additional usage (5-7 ppg) went.

Sad seeing Jimmy playing an Pat bev role but they beat 2 playoff teams and put up a fight vs SA (which has a 80% of winning every game regardless of injuries) so hard to see things changing.

I’m actually enjoying his game so far. High floor, efficient, will improve. Take away the points he’s producing well. Don’t really understand why people drafted him expecting him to produce at a level of Chicago points wise when he was the only option there. Rookie mistake. 

Edited by adifferentlogik

JB is getting his amount of shots (top 3 within his team), so I'd say owners should be patient.  Plus, Thibs knows how good and dedicated Butler is when Butler took over for the injured D-Rose.  However, you should definitely say good bye to the amount of FT's he will get because he is now the third offensive option in the team.

JB used to play a lot of iso, so you can definitely see that Butler is still getting used to the new scheme of sharing the ball with greater talent around him.

I can't say if he's worth the second round pick, but he's definitely going to reach his early round potential.  Also, it is worth noting that guards, for some odd reason, start slower than the other positions.  You can see this trend with Klay Thompson, Dragic during his first year with the Heat, and Beal when he came back from his serious injury.

All-in-all, stay patient, everyone!

It's not his team anymore. He joined a new team and until he gains their trust and confidence with the new team, he would be passing a lot and letting wiggins or towns take the crucial shots. I don't own him but he will turn it around. Don't forget, they are 2-1 against really tough opponents so whatever he is doing, is working for the team just hope this doesn't become the norm

The FTAs are a concern considering it's indicative of a change in scheme, however keep in mind that he's shooting well below his normal percentages in these first three games compared to the last few years.  If anything, his shot opportunities should be better considering he doesn't have to force anything as the second or third scoring option.  Add in another three and take away a couple of those misses last night and his game was solid.  Considering he has to make up for Wiggin's defense, I expect his defensive counting stats to trend back up towards the norm of the last few seasons at a minimum (that 5 steal game excluded).  Three games is an incredibly small sample size on a new team.  Just be happy you didn't draft Hayward with that pick.   

In the end it's gonna be growing pains with Jimmy this year as he learns the new team and offence. The FTAs will definitely go up despite the concern ITT, but I expect his scoring, rebounding and assists numbers to be slightly lower than they were in Chicago. I consider him a strong hold because he's an elite player that can figure out how to get his. As aforementioned too, the sample size is incredibly small. Trust the process with Jimmy and he'll provide the buckets :D

I overdrafted Jimmy Buckets. Shoulda taken DMC instead. We can boil down the handwringing and hopefulness in this thread now, even though it's early and anything could happen. Wiggins is a loser and will put a damper on Butler this year. I am reclassifying Butler as a late second to early fourth round value on the year, guessing around 30-35 for the year to be realistic.

If you still like him, and don't have him, make this case and lowball offer for his services. As for me.. regretting having drafted Butler and PatPat (the latter since cut) when I could have had DMC and Demarre Carroll. Tiny violin time.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rando said:

I overdrafted Jimmy Buckets. Shoulda taken DMC instead. We can boil down the handwringing and hopefulness in this thread now, even though it's early and anything could happen. Wiggins is a loser and will put a damper on Butler this year. I am reclassifying Butler as a late second to early fourth round value on the year, guessing around 30-35 for the year to be realistic.

If you still like him, and don't have him, make this case and lowball offer for his services. As for me.. regretting having drafted Butler and PatPat (the latter since cut) when I could have had DMC and Demarre Carroll. Tiny violin time.

i'm with you bro. i was actually not all in on Butler and in my first league i was drafting lillard before him, but in my second league i went with him over lillard (didn't want to put all the eggs in the same bag). i had concerns about him in Mini but i saw his stats at 14-15 when he played with Rose and Gasol with only 21 usage rate and still got 20 5 4 and 1.8 steals with around 7-8 FTA and was ranked 8 in 9-cat at this year, so that's what i was expected to get. after i saw the game yesterday against okc i think he will have hard time to reach those numbers and the reason is not only Wiggins- it's also Teague and Crawford who are really taking a lot of the usage, and the team plays pretty good with no one force anything so i don't think it's gonna change that much.

now i'm really in a dilema if try to get one of Lowry/Conley instead of him when the other manager also thinks "oh it's just a slow start it's f***in Jimmy Butler" or to wait 10-15 games which is also a risk cuz if he stays like this you'll be forced to stay with him cuz you'll gonna get none...

Edited by iscodisco
3 hours ago, rando said:

All of this is easy to say in hindsight

42 minutes ago, TheBoondocks said:

All of this is easy to say in hindsight

As opposed to what that isn't easy to say in hindsight? That's what hindsight is, a clear view of things. However, it looks like the slight to moderate majority thinks it's no big deal, an early funk/adjustment period. That's the debate, to which you added a vapid troll of a comment. What's your opinion on the issue of Jimmy Buckets? Nobody came here to read your review of my post, did they?