NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jimmy Butler 2017-2018 Season Outlook

3 hours ago, rando said:

As opposed to what that isn't easy to say in hindsight? That's what hindsight is, a clear view of things. However, it looks like the slight to moderate majority thinks it's no big deal, an early funk/adjustment period. That's the debate, to which you added a vapid troll of a comment. What's your opinion on the issue of Jimmy Buckets? Nobody came here to read your review of my post, did they?

I'm of the firm opinion that Thibs and Butler will work together to see how he can get more touches and plays, especially to the basket. It's a new team with a bunch of high usage guys, and despite the load of talent, he's the 2nd best scorer on the team to KAT and it's not even close. I will agree though that Jimmy Buckets will have worse numbers this year, just not to the degree some are stating (like the one post that mentioned him giving fifth round value??). I think my comment was more directed at you because I'm tired of knee-jerk assessments of players and extrapolation of data with small sample sizes. And yes, no one came here to read my reviews of your post. Apologies. 

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Friday, he was asked when he'll know the time is right to seek his own shot more.   "Right now, right now," he said. "I'm going back to putting the ball in the basket. I like to put the b

=IF(Jimmy+IR,”HOLD”,”DROP”) Very simple 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, rando said:

As opposed to what that isn't easy to say in hindsight? That's what hindsight is, a clear view of things. However, it looks like the slight to moderate majority thinks it's no big deal, an early funk/adjustment period. That's the debate, to which you added a vapid troll of a comment. What's your opinion on the issue of Jimmy Buckets? Nobody came here to read your review of my post, did they?

Missed your meds tonight, eh?

6 minutes ago, audiophilestyle said:

Was already unhappy I drafted him and now this is just icing on the cake.

Going up against my fiance who has point LeBron on her team and Im getting destroyed....

Your partner COMPETES against you instead of feigning interest when you talk fantasy ball?

I am so freaking jealous!!!!

Lol, on topic I agree 100%. I was 20th in the draft I took him so it seemed right, but I cut bait and traded him for Kyle Lowry, and I don't think I will regret it. I never imagined they would make Jimmy take a backseat to freaking Wiggins. Trying to justify that contract, smh

Edited by Judicious
On 10/24/2017 at 2:56 AM, Saltgurkan15 said:

Growing pains?

Yeah I’m trying to buy low and offered Kevin love (i’m punting 3s anyway). What we’re seeing is jimmys floor. With that knowledge , you would be foolish to not at least try to buy low. I agree with the thibs stuff, Jimmy Will get his. 

Are you in my league?  Because I sold Jimmy for Love.  I needed a center and I’m not convinced Jimmy will finish as a second round player.  It’s not just a new team.  It’s that all the players who typically benefit from being huge FT anchors will lose a bit of value due to the new free throw rules.  In the future free throw values will be less polarized as players such as Harden and Butler who once relied on free throws will lose value and punt free throw bigs will get fouled less and have less negative impact.  Additionally,  Butler is going from being both the primary ball handler and primary scorer to being secondary at both.  I would bet his assists decline as well.  He will be better than he is now and worse than he was last year.  Something like 18/4/4 with 1.7 spg/1 3pg.  That’s what top 40?  Meanwhile Love continues to improve from that dreadful first year every year he is in Cleveland.  He will finish 19/11 with 2.5 threes or something like that.  So Butler will probably finish a hair ahead of him in the player rater.  But I needed a C eligible player,  I’m punting FG, and Love is the best big for that build so it was a snap call for me.  I really didn’t think I was going to get a better offer. 

Edited by StifleTower2
19 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Are you in my league?  Because I sold Jimmy for Love.  I needed a center and I’m not convinced Jimmy will finish as a second round player.  It’s not just a new team.  It’s that all the players who typically benefit from being huge FT anchors will lose a bit of value due to the new free throw rules.  In the future free throw values will be less polarized as players such as Harden and Butler who once relied on free throws will lose value and punt free throw bigs will get fouled less and have less negative impact.  Additionally,  Butler is going from being both the primary ball handler and primary scorer to being secondary at both.  I would bet his assists decline as well.  He will be better than he is now and worse than he was last year.  Something like 18/4/4 with 1.7 spg/1 3pg.  That’s what top 40?  Meanwhile Love continues to improve from that dreadful first year every year he is in Cleveland.  He will finish 19/11 with 2.5 threes or something like that.  So Butler will probably finish a hair ahead of him in the player rater.  But I needed a C eligible player,  I’m punting FG, and Love is the best big for that build so it was a snap call for me.  I really didn’t think I was going to get a better offer. 

Yeah I may have to second guess myself. I share your opinion and I do agree on everything you wrote about Kevin - heck that’s why I drafted himr this year for the first time. In my head Butler for Love seemed like an obvious deal, ”It’s Jimmy Buckets for Christ sake” and add the fact I was planning on punting threes. I’ll DM you My team If you would care to take a look.

And no, we’re not in the same League!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, apmonjas said:

This Situation reminds me to Oladipo last season...who would have imagined at draft day.

I traded him for Chris Paul, good luck to everyone here, I think He will Post top30-40 value

Butler for CP3? Ouch.......good luck with that. I do not like CP3 at all this season on the rockets. 

I do not own either, but Butler will be fine. It has been 3 games, and 1 was an anomaly with Wiggins going off. Bulter + Thibs = gold. Just be patient.

32 minutes ago, crocp said:

Butler for CP3? Ouch.......good luck with that. I do not like CP3 at all this season on the rockets. 

I do not own either, but Butler will be fine. It has been 3 games, and 1 was an anomaly with Wiggins going off. Bulter + Thibs = gold. Just be patient.

Actually I am.pretty Happy with cp3, the only concern is health. If He has No setbacks He will be a Top10 Player in Houston, his value is based on efficiency, assists and steals which should be there even if he scores 2 ppg less.

My only concern is how many Games will cp3 Play. I am Sure He will have higher per Game value than Butler (who is not an ironman neither) and furthermore HOU has better PO schedule than MIN.

It's been a perfect storm of bad to start the season, but if this is the worst outcome, then we have a lot to look forward to. In his 3 games, he's still given help in almost every counting stat. If he can just up his PPG by like 5 or 6 (which he undoubtedly will once he gets used to the team and gets to the line more) he'll bring back at worst 3rd round value. Every player has bad stretches in fantasy basketball. It's not football though where the number of games is limited. It's a very long season. Wait until at least like Week 8 before deeming an all-star talent a bust

2 hours ago, Judicious said:

Your partner COMPETES against you instead of feigning interest when you talk fantasy ball?

I am so freaking jealous!!!!

Lol, on topic I agree 100%. I was 20th in the draft I took him so it seemed right, but I cut bait and traded him for Kyle Lowry, and I don't think I will regret it. I never imagined they would make Jimmy take a backseat to freaking Wiggins. Trying to justify that contract, smh

Dude so I put Jimmy B on the block and I got offered Kyle Lowry 1 for 1. Do I make the trade!?!?

2 hours ago, audiophilestyle said:

Dude so I put Jimmy B on the block and I got offered Kyle Lowry 1 for 1. Do I make the trade!?!?

I'd do it but I own Lowry so maybe I'm not being objective. However Lowry is in a lil slump where as butler in a new situation which might not change. They obv both gonna be better than current though. 

41 minutes ago, newyorkspankees said:

nah

I did it it one of my leagues. It looks like Butler is going to be the third scoring option. I think the team is forcing it through Wiggins because of the contract, which is absurd. Wiggins should be supporting Butler and maybe learn to do it as successfully as Butler has. 

also helped that in this league setting PG it the only cat that can be accessed by a PG (all others are duel, like sg/sf, pf/c etc)

Edited by Judicious