NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jimmy Butler 2017-2018 Season Outlook

8 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

It's called being a team player. Doing what you need to do to get the W for your team. This is why the spurs are so good year after year because Pop won't let their egos for stats win out. Massive respect for Jimmy Buckets playing for his team and not his stat lines. Absolutely one of my favourites NBA players. His is a great story that he continues to write in the correct manner.

Sucks for you fantasy owners, but you had to see something coming when they start building a super team.

I get that, but he is still their best player (you could argue 2nd but I would disagree). It just seems like a bit of a waste of talent that he feels obligated pass up his shots for Taj freakin Gibson. I would understand coming into a new team and deferring to the main guys who were already there before, like Wiggins and KAT, but the fact that he is not even asserting himself at all is just a waste. It would make sense that a teams 1st or second best player should try to carve out some kind of a role on offense, but it looks like he is not even trying. 

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On Friday, he was asked when he'll know the time is right to seek his own shot more.   "Right now, right now," he said. "I'm going back to putting the ball in the basket. I like to put the b

=IF(Jimmy+IR,”HOLD”,”DROP”) Very simple 

Posted Images

Hahahaha definitely Jimmy Crickets. Has a nice ring to it. I mean seriously, If Paul George is able to carve out a role on offense with Russell Westbrook and Carmelo Anthony on the same team, then what in the world is the excuse here? He is a far more efficient/effective scorer (as well as just about everything else) than Andrew Wiggins is. He should at least be getting a similar number of touches. The Wolves are obviously improved this year due to Jimmy's defense, but being that he is also at the very least their second best offensive option, they would undoubtedly improve even more if he asserted himself and carved out a bigger role on offense.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, a-rob said:

2 weeks ago he was a buy low, now he has me officially concerned. Wiggins has taken the bulk of the offensive load from the SG/SF spot

I'm a little concerned as well. Let's hope he becomes a high efficiency 1st/2nd round player like Otto Porter with rebs and stls.

Edited by stevenzhang
5 minutes ago, a-rob said:

and the bad thing is for Jimmy Butler owners, T'wolves are having success with this type of set up

This is the most unsettling part  hands down. They could be better still if Jimmy takes bigger role on offense. Hopefully they at least experiment with it eventually...

RIP Jimmy's fantasy value for the next couple of years + his prime wasted on this team.

He took HALF the shots Teague did tonight (6 FGA vs 15 FGA) and also less than friggin' Taj (6 FGA vs 9 FGA).

I feel bad for myself for trading KP and Jaylen for Love and Jimmy Crickets. 

What's sad is they're winning so it'll be like this for a while. 

10 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

It's called being a team player. Doing what you need to do to get the W for your team. This is why the spurs are so good year after year because Pop won't let their egos for stats win out. Massive respect for Jimmy Buckets playing for his team and not his stat lines. Absolutely one of my favourites NBA players. His is a great story that he continues to write in the correct manner.

Sucks for you fantasy owners, but you had to see something coming when they start building a super team.

Except they'd be a better team if he took more shots and Wiggins took less. That's kinda the issue here.

12 hours ago, absknicks said:

Except they'd be a better team if he took more shots and Wiggins took less. That's kinda the issue here.

They are winning with Jimmy Playing his role. 7 and 3. This is improving Wiggins and they are still getting better. I'm sure the team is pretty happy, and Butler too.

As long as they are winning and Wigs/KAT continue to ball...i do not see why they would change their focus on Butler...

He is continue to guard the best player on the opposing team, and distributing the ball...hes also a good decoy on offence...unfortunate to all those who drafted him at his ADP.

i sent out a bunch of offers trying to unload him and someone accepted so I got capella for him straight up.  he'll probably get better but I'm whatever on him now. he won't come close to the value that we drafted him at so I'm just gonna look forward. good luck to those who still have him.

5 minutes ago, morphiend said:

i sent out a bunch of offers trying to unload him and someone accepted so I got capella for him straight up.  he'll probably get better but I'm whatever on him now. he won't come close to the value that we drafted him at so I'm just gonna look forward. good luck to those who still have him.

Yikes

11 minutes ago, morphiend said:

Ewww. No. Even though Capela is doing well just no.

17 minutes ago, morphiend said:

This is a joke right?

what? is it that hard to believe that capela can't maintain close to what he's doing? ranked top 20 on bbm. you guys are saying butler won't come close to last year with the wolves winning with him being the 3rd-5th option.. it's not inconceivable that capela finishes higher than thim.

I own both Capela and Butler and while right now Capela is ranked higher than Butler, it is still Jimmy Butler. Whose to say that the coach who loved him in Chicago wont say we need you to be more aggressive? But your gamble might pay off, I wouldn't have done it though given Butler's history as a 1st/2nd option player for the last 3 years.

• Like 1

It does sounds a little unnerving, but its not as crazy as it seems if you ditch the names and look at it it terms of pure value. If Capella keeps up this pace, then his value would match what we expected Butler to put up in the first place.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

I own both Capela and Butler and while right now Capela is ranked higher than Butler, it is still Jimmy Butler. Whose to say that the coach who loved him in Chicago wont say we need you to be more aggressive? But your gamble might pay off, I wouldn't have done it though given Butler's history as a 1st/2nd option player for the last 3 years.

exactly. it may or may not pay off but name value aside I have more faith that capela can maintain close to what he's doing now versus butler getting closer to his chicago numbers as the number 1 option while he's looking like the number 3 option in Minnesota. 

• Like 1