NBC Sports Edge Forums

Best Player Combinations to aim for (2017-2018 Auction Draft Thread)

6 minutes ago, apatas said:

This is all about punting, but I give you no-punt advice: Giannis and Lillard. Because Giannis two worst cats (threes and FG%) are Lillard's best.

sadly this is only possible in auction leagues. Giannis is going top 2 and Dame is going late 1st/early 2nd.

Agreed though, it's a monster pairing

10 minutes ago, apatas said:

This is all about punting, but I give you no-punt advice: Giannis and Lillard. Because Giannis two worst cats (threes and FG%) are Lillard's best.

ft% not fg%

17 minutes ago, kev777zero said:

Without using up all your money...

CP3+Jokic punt pts or blk

or combination of 2 of CP3/Jokic/Dray to punt pts

Curry+Jordan punt FT% (odd but Curry provides everything punt FT% bigs lack)

Lillard+Cousins punt FG%/TO

not a fan of lillard and cousins pairing... as you wouldmt be strong with steals and assists. i think wall is a much better fit with the steals, assists, blks.. you can get those threes later

18 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

ft% not fg%

not a fan of lillard and cousins pairing... as you wouldmt be strong with steals and assists. i think wall is a much better fit with the steals, assists, blks.. you can get those threes later

Any more insight on a Wall/Cousins pairing?

What categories are prioritizing to build on while punting TO and FG%?

Thanks from a noob!

4 minutes ago, VaTerp said:

Any more insight on a Wall/Cousins pairing?

What categories are prioritizing to build on while punting TO and FG%?

Thanks from a noob!

its a combination of player position and categories

i never punt fg% and t/o but if i did i would target high volume centers 1st as there is only a handful that get a huge boost in value   (centers with lots of usage and shots that dont  hurt your ft%) cousins, love, embid, porzingis for example 

then elite sf then point guards, (westbrook, wall, curry, russell, ball, teague, schroder. simmons)

you can also go the route of taking the one or two sf like harden, dray green, simmons batum (inj) later in the draft that give you those point guard stats (steals, assist,) and target the middle tier pgs mentioned above 

just got to do some mocks and figure out when to take those middle tier pgs as pgs get drafted fast so it might be easier/safer to take the centers and pgs 1st if you dont feel comfortable gambling on getting 2-3 middle tier pgs to pair with your sf/center start

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

its a combination of player position and categories

i never punt fg% and t/o but if i did i would target high volume centers 1st as there is only a handful that get a huge boost in value   (centers with lots of usage and shots that dont  hurt your ft%) cousins, love, embid, porzingis for example 

then elite sf then point guards, (westbrook, wall, curry, russell, ball, teague, schroder. simmons)

you can also go the route of taking the one or two sf like harden, dray green, simmons batum (inj) later in the draft that give you those point guard stats (steals, assist,) and target the middle tier pgs mentioned above 

just got to do some mocks and figure out when to take those middle tier pgs as pgs get drafted fast so it might be easier/safer to take the centers and pgs 1st if you dont feel comfortable gambling on getting 2-3 middle tier pgs to pair with your sf/center start

Thanks, I’m actually locked into Wall/Cousins in a 2 player keeper 14 team 9 cat.

If those 2 are considered my 1st and 2nd I then have no 3rd, 5th, or 7th rounders with 2 8ths, 9ths, and 10s..  So it will be a real challenge. Just to be competitive.

Im thinking of going PF/C to strength boards, blocks, decent points and big man assists with my pick at 52 overall.  Jurkic, Vucevic, Aldridge.....

Then going for 3s, stocks, assists with the rest of my picks and trying to hit on late round upside.  We’ll see...

If one of those bigs isn’t there then I’m leaning  Oladipo or maybe Schroder and getting boards, blocks later.  

Edited by VaTerp
2 hours ago, apatas said:

In an auction league that would cost you a lot, but it's definitely a beast start.

In a knowledgeable league it would be approx: Giannis ($70), Lillard ($45-50).

A pretty well known one -

James Harden + DeMar DeRozan + Andre Drummond. Or you can replace Drummond with a DeAndre, Capela, or Howard. Doesn't matter.

Harden covers DeRozan's lack of three's and assist. DeRozan gives Harden a helping hand in FT% anchoring the huge rebounding big. If you can't get DeRozan, go after Gallinari later.

Hello!I have 1st pick this coming subday on a 12 team Espn point league or system.I'm thinking of taking harden oo  the first round.I was thinking of pairing hin with one of these pg irving,wall,dame?Any sugestions,tips would be appreciated thanks in advance.

13 minutes ago, DLG10 said:

Kyrie & Lillard

why would you pay a premium for pts, 3, and fg%

you are getting medium/bad assists and steals...  there is little difference between lillard and cj mccollum,

just seems like a weird pairing where both players have the same strenghts and weaknesses and the strength arent the hard stats to get imo

it handcuffs as well because what if klay or beal or another high volume efficient with lowish assists and steals fall on the draft board?

4 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

A pretty well known one -

James Harden + DeMar DeRozan + Andre Drummond. Or you can replace Drummond with a DeAndre, Capela, or Howard. Doesn't matter.

Harden covers DeRozan's lack of three's and assist. DeRozan gives Harden a helping hand in FT% anchoring the huge rebounding big. If you can't get DeRozan, go after Gallinari later.

Not sure... Having Drummond automatically negates any positive FT advantage you get with Harden and De rozan. At best, your FT would be average. I'd get Harden + Turner if it's an auction draft.

CP3 + Whiteside/Gobert if you are in the late 1st round of a 12 teamer.

57 minutes ago, mmart_ph said:

Not sure... Having Drummond automatically negates any positive FT advantage you get with Harden and De rozan. At best, your FT would be average. I'd get Harden + Turner if it's an auction draft.

CP3 + Whiteside/Gobert if you are in the late 1st round of a 12 teamer.

Agreed, if you have either Drummond or DJ, you are punting FT%. There's no way around it, even if you have Harden and Derozan it still won't matter. At the very least you have to prioritize FT% the rest of your draft which will leave you weak in other cats.

It's not a good idea to pair someone like Harden with Drummond/DJ. If you have a guy that is super dominant in a cat (in this case Harden's FT) why drag it back to the field with Drummond? Get those boards/blocks without so much FT drag- something like KLove/Blake + then Capela later on. 

Drummond is going late this year- around 4th/5th round. in this example I'd much rather have Harden + Capela, maybe even Harden + Nurkic than Harden + Drummond. Capela's FT not abysmal for a C, and his FT volume is lower so defo hurts you less.