NBC Sports Edge Forums

Best Player Combinations to aim for (2017-2018 Auction Draft Thread)

In auctions I am more of a value guy rather than bid on a top tier guy (note: I play in a 16 teamer). I tend to lean towards punt fg%. I find blocks the hardest to get in a punt fg%, so Im going to make sure to try and get Porzingis or BroLo. I’ll be in on Turner as well (for his blocks). I want one of those 3. Then I have a tier of pg’s (Kemba/Conley/Lowry) that I want one of. All will get me 20+ pts, well over 2+ 3pm, steals, and ft’s, plus decent dimes. Getting Porzingis and one of those pg’s for a combined $65 or less ($200 budget) will be a big win in my book. I’ll keep building from there. 

man i'm actually 10th pick out of 10 in a league this weekend and ive considered taking wall and cousins as well..i have ben simmons as my 9th rounder(keeper).. any advice on who to target in rounds 3-5? ive been thinking derozan,millsap ...but idk if im missing on 3's much there and positions become scarce

Overall, I'd worry more about value in the first two rounds, over fit. You can fill gaps later. 

The larger issue is as follows: Good Centers are more concentrated in the upper 2 rounds. After round 3, the quality of Cs falls off substantially. But 2nd-tier PGs are available through about round 6 of a competitive draft.

So, here's what I did:

1) KAT

2) Myles

3) Porzingis

4) RoCo

5) Teague

6) Schroeder

7) Collison 

It's really a broader version of the 1/2 pairing idea, except across 7 rounds. How did I do?

On 13-10-2017 at 5:11 PM, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Overall, I'd worry more about value in the first two rounds, over fit. You can fill gaps later. 

The larger issue is as follows: Good Centers are more concentrated in the upper 2 rounds. After round 3, the quality of Cs falls off substantially. But 2nd-tier PGs are available through about round 6 of a competitive draft.

So, here's what I did:

1) KAT

2) Myles

3) Porzingis

4) RoCo

5) Teague

6) Schroeder

7) Collison 

It's really a broader version of the 1/2 pairing idea, except across 7 rounds. How did I do?

why not go for a PG in round 4 instead of covington? who is a very risky pick imo. 

If you're in a shallow (8-team or 10-team league), I'm always a fan of buying 2 top-5 players. Past three drafts I've gotten Curry/KD or Curry/Harden and have been consistently winning. If you can keep playing the FA/WW game and making 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 trades, it's nearly always worth it to go heavy early (as long as you're not blowing more than 2/3 or so of your budget on your top 2).

6 hours ago, ShaHerpes Lashiqua said:

why not go for a PG in round 4 instead of covington? who is a very risky pick imo. 

Good tier of PGs was off the board, and the next tier was available in the next round. I could have gotten Rubio, Dragic, Olapido. If I had to do it over, I would have taken Dragic in the 5th.

19 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Good tier of PGs was off the board, and the next tier was available in the next round. I could have gotten Rubio, Dragic, Olapido. If I had to do it over, I would have taken Dragic in the 5th.

hmm...I don't think Dragic still available in round 5:rolleyes: