NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Oh yeah McKinnon had 1 bad week out of the last 4. He sucks avoid right? Great advice champ. Please tell me who else you think sucks besides McKinnon and Smith so I can quickly add them

Do you have anything informative to add? McKinnin was passed over numerous times by Asiata. He is doing great right, now, but I won’t say anything about him. 

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/31/2017 at 11:03 PM, charliehustler said:

i plan on snatching him up after waivers run. It only takes a spark to start a fire.

Something is smoldering. Almost washed Morris is in the way? We’re about to smell what the Rod is cooking 

Edited by charliehustler
4 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Still holding DMC and even Damien Williams before him. You guys can go ahead, I refuse to drink the cool aid especially when the Cowboys have 2 other RBs

Haha desperado.. smith is definitely a higher priority add/hold than Mcfadden at this point.. the cowboys have said as much

2 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Haha desperado.. smith is definitely a higher priority add/hold than Mcfadden at this point.. the cowboys have said as much

And that can change in an instant. 

Morris will “start”. He’s been active, he’s the vet, probably the “safest” fantasy play ... it makes sense. 

However, I don’t see anyway this guy stays on the sideline for long. He runs like a Mack truck and has flashed whenever given the ball - in the run or pass game. Complete package and seemingly loved by anyone associated with the franchise. 

Gimme 8-10 carries and a couple dump offs out of the backfield and go from there ... it’s only a matter of time before he forces himself onto the field more. 

Morris is the play ... for now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/926218016135811074

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

This is Jerry Jones we're talking about. He doesn't want Alf's slightly above replacement level talent out there, nor can the Cowboys afford to be that conservative. He wants and the team needs someone to flourish, and I think Smith is the only RB on the roster with that potential. If he looks good this week he'll be the guy going forward a la Aaron Jones. 

47 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Morris will “start”. He’s been active, he’s the vet, probably the “safest” fantasy play ... it makes sense. 

However, I don’t see anyway this guy stays on the sideline for long. He runs like a Mack truck and has flashed whenever given the ball - in the run or pass game. Complete package and seemingly loved by anyone associated with the franchise. 

Gimme 8-10 carries and a couple dump offs out of the backfield and go from there ... it’s only a matter of time before he forces himself onto the field more. 

Morris is the play ... for now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SlaterNFL/status/926218016135811074

I agree.  And as a Cowboys fan, I'm really hoping Smith gets more chances because I just think Morris is one-dimensional and that one dimension isn't even very good.

I do feel like Smith may be ahead of McFadden but who knows.

One thing I do know is that the Cowboys will probably screw this up and I don't trust Garrett at all to play the right player here.  I mean, the Cowboys keep running Terrance Williams out there week after week and he has to be one of the worst starting WR's in football...But he's the "safe" option.  Morris feels the same to me...."safe".

They'll run Morris out there for 10-15 carries then then sprinkle in Smith/McFadden in passing situations and for a few change of pace carries.

Personally, I'm hoping Morris falters.  I'd much rather see a combination or Smith and McFadden as both guys offer way more versatility. 

I've picked up Smith in 2 of my 3 leagues. In my 16-teamer, I'll actually be starting him as with byes and so little available on the WW, I figure why not? I think there's a reasonable chance he can end up being the best option in the Dallas backfield and worst-case scenario, he can get dumped if he shows nothing. He's worth taking a chance on for fantasy owners IMO. 

4 minutes ago, rylaughlin said:

This is Jerry Jones we're talking about. He doesn't want Alf's slightly above replacement level talent out there, nor can the Cowboys afford to be that conservative. He wants and the team needs someone to flourish, and I think Smith is the only RB on the roster with that potential. If he looks good this week he'll be the guy going forward a la Aaron Jones. 

I can see this Jones line of thinking. “Roger, u gonna take away my Zeke? I’m gonna shove my Rod up yours!” 

the loss of deshaun has opened up some roster space for me.....picked up Rod where I had space.  

he definitely has the best chance the more I think about this situation.  it is going to require a few dominoes to fall though. 

Edited by dudewithabadcat
1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

the loss of deshaun has opened up some roster space for me.....picked up Rod where I had space.  

he definitely has the best chance the more I think about this situation.  it is going to require a few dominoes to fall though. 

To me, and I may be too simple minded here, but the biggest domino is controlled by Smith himself. If he goes out there Sunday, and separates himself from the other backs, he can earn his role. Just like Carson did.

I am not saying he will do that. But I do feel like he will have his chance (as will the other RBs) to carve out a role by his own making.

Thinking of dropping CJA and picking up Rod. Already got Alf. I think it will come down to either Rod or Alf. Just depends who can perform on game day. Want to be done with the Broncos inept offense and the 3 headed RBBC and at least control the Cowboys RBBC for the most part.