NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, FollowTheLeader said:

How'd that college success/pedigree work for Archie Griffin? *just one example of MANY to show this "evaluation" angle not always equating to NFL success.

Haha Smith, and Griffin both went to THE Ohio State...not sure that fact supports my above statement :wacko: BUT Rod Smith isn't from some Sister Mary's School of Underwater Basket Weaving (which is what I thought was implied by urban2014).

Either way...the masses will have to wait at least another week to see what Smith can do.

So it was clear the depth chart was

Alf

Rod Smith

McFadden.

Dallas was dangerously close to playing their cards of how the rotation was setting up.

I really in my heart started to feel that Morris would get the opening crack and first and second Downs. Rod Smith with pickup 3rd down Duty and hurry up/ spread offense. I was starting to feel McFadden would be left out again.

I really believe Rod Smith is a must add at this point I think they are completely sold on his ability to play all facets of the game right now which is making McFadden irrelevant.

Rod Smith is the anti-CMike.  Not a freak athlete, but really gets it between the ears and does the little things well.  He gets it.  We all wanted the SPARQ freak draft darling CMike to take over the Dallas backfield two years ago, but here we're gonna have the slow and steady Smith make a spalsh.  Just watch.  It's poetry in motion.

Yeah I agree completely. This is the time to add him. I don't think that they are completely sold on the other two guys. I think both Smith Brothers have it between the ears and they trust Rod Smith's  ability.  Something tells me that we're going to see Smith more as a backup this week then alf.

So are we confident Zeke is suspended at some point this year, making RS potentially relevant? Or is this "on again", "off again" scenario going to continue all season. I literally picked him up 5 minutes before the zeke news came out  after making a trade and clearing a spot. But I don't have the brain power to follow this stupid legal situation and if this same thing is going to continue all season, I would rather take a chance on a Woodhead or someone.

I mean is there some sort of limit on how many times this can go back and forth? This is how I feel with this situation.

On 11/6/2017 at 6:32 AM, Jack Valentine said:

A RB who is 6'3 235LB and can catch passes and useful in pass pro. He might just be something. 

I jumped off the Zeke handcuff wagon when it was still unclear whether Morris or DMC would be the next guy up.  Now that we know that DMC has been inactive because he is buried in the depth chart, I am completely on board with Smith.  Morris' reliability will have him first out of the gate, but as the offense transforms some in Zeke's absence, it can definitely see Smith's role growing.  Dallas has grown accustomed to Zeke's pass chops.  As the desperation for wins increases, so will the craving for Zeke's 3 down skill set.  If Smith excels early when given the chance (definitely a big IF), he could quickly become Dallas' "season savior."

Also, I play only PPR.  With any luck, Smith could be just as relevant as Morris in PPR from the very start.  

3 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I jumped off the Zeke handcuff wagon when it was still unclear whether Morris or DMC would be the next guy up.  Now that we know that DMC has been inactive because he is buried in the depth chart, I am completely on board with Smith.  Morris' reliability will have him first out of the gate, but as the offense transforms some in Zeke's absence, it can definitely see Smith's role growing.  Dallas has grown accustomed to Zeke's pass chops.  As the desperation for wins increases, so will the craving for Zeke's 3 down skill set.  If Smith excels early when given the chance (definitely a big IF), he could quickly become Dallas' "season savior."

Also, I play only PPR.  With any luck, Smith could be just as relevant as Morris in PPR from the very start.  

the "craving for the 3 down skill set" is something that can actually propel DMC into the starting role not Morris or Smith.  the same argument you make for Smith can be made for DMC.  Smith has been active because he can play on special teams also.  so he is more useful than DMC to this point in the season.  no one knows how things play off if Zeke is off the board.  it is a complete cluster f** right now.   there are good reasons in all 3 camps for why they should be the starter.  can't really say for certain for any of them, only sure thing is to roster all 3, and hold through the first week without zeke to let it play out. 

There's just too much evidence against McFadden to make a case for him. He's been inactive all season. He was going to remain 3rd string without Zeke. The zone blocking scheme fits Morris better. I just dropped McFadden for Smith. And if someone drops Morris, I'll probably pick up Morris as a handcuff to Zeke.

5 minutes ago, Panthor said:

the "craving for the 3 down skill set" is something that can actually propel DMC into the starting role not Morris or Smith.  the same argument you make for Smith can be made for DMC.  Smith has been active because he can play on special teams also.  so he is more useful than DMC to this point in the season.  no one knows how things play off if Zeke is off the board.  it is a complete cluster f** right now.   there are good reasons in all 3 camps for why they should be the starter.  can't really say for certain for any of them, only sure thing is to roster all 3, and hold through the first week without zeke to let it play out. 

I began rostering all 3 when the clouds starting gathering over Zeke, but became persuaded that I could roster some guys that might out-perform a Dallas committee.

A big factor in my belief in Smith is based on what I've seen from him during the limited snaps he's received.  He is a bit unorthodox, but he looks as if he is a very good fit for that running offense (who wouldn't be, right?).  If he runs well out of the shoot, his established pass chops could quickly land him an equal (or greater) share of this backfield.  While many assume that DMC's experience gives him an advantage over Smith, I believe that Smith's youth will actually keep him ahead of DMC in the pecking order.   

47 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

There's just too much evidence against McFadden to make a case for him. He's been inactive all season. He was going to remain 3rd string without Zeke. The zone blocking scheme fits Morris better. I just dropped McFadden for Smith. And if someone drops Morris, I'll probably pick up Morris as a handcuff to Zeke.

this is the same scheme he ran for over 1000 yards at 4.6ypc?  so i think we can put the scheme argument to bed.  being 3rd string doesn't really mean much in this situation, this isn't a no experience rookie with no record of success, they've already said Smith is needed on special teams, so Smith was going to be active regardless, and Morris is a better compliment to Zeke.  like i said the argument can be made of each of those 3, dismissing any of them is not a wise thing to do. 

6 minutes ago, Panthor said:

this is the same scheme he ran for over 1000 yards at 4.6ypc?  so i think we can put the scheme argument to bed.  being 3rd string doesn't really mean much in this situation, this isn't a no experience rookie with no record of success, they've already said Smith is needed on special teams, so Smith was going to be active regardless, and Morris is a better compliment to Zeke.  like i said the argument can be made of each of those 3, dismissing any of them is not a wise thing to do. 

Pretty sure someone clarified that it's a different blocking scheme than the one they ran in 2015 because I said exactly what you did. Maybe he was wrong though.

Edited by tpat30
22 hours ago, Panthor said:

Alf and smith should be rostered. McFadden is done. Anyone with common sense can see that.