NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m really thinking this Dallas offense is about to nosedive.

No zeke, limited dez and Williams, no Tyron smith.

Gonna be really tough to keep up with Atlanta when you’re missing all those players.

Dont think rod smith holds any value this week. Speculation, sure.

this running game is about to go in the drain. Keep in mind the cowboys rarely call screen passes.

It's anyone's guess, but I don't see the Cowboys remaining static and looking for someone to play a poor man's Zeke.  Especially with Tyron Smith and Dez out, we could see more Dak on the move, short games with Beasley and RBs on routes.  Explosives from Smith in the pass game may be part of the Zeke make-up plan.  From what I've seen, Smith is definitely a weapon in the pass game,   If he can hit on few of those, he could end up being a worthwhile start for us, even as early as this week, especially in PPR. 

7 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Gonna be really tough to keep up with Atlanta when you’re missing all those players.

this running game is about to go in the drain. Keep in mind the cowboys rarely call screen passes.

Yea...Atlanta offense  has just been a juggernaut this year.

9 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Dallas defense has been coming together now that they have a consistent pass rush. Not too worried about the game getting away from them.

Offense won’t be as explosive but Dak can manage. 

9 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

It's anyone's guess, but I don't see the Cowboys remaining static and looking for someone to play a poor man's Zeke.  Especially with Tyron Smith and Dez out, we could see more Dak on the move, short games with Beasley and RBs on routes.  Explosives from Smith in the pass game may be part of the Zeke make-up plan.  From what I've seen, Smith is definitely a weapon in the pass game,   If he can hit on few of those, he could end up being a worthwhile start for us, even as early as this week, especially in PPR. 

This, he made an incredibl catch earlier this year in the redzone om a 3rd down play.

26 minutes ago, BlueDevils22 said:

Yea...Atlanta offense  has just been a juggernaut this year.

Theyre still efficient despite the touchdown output. And at home. Just saying- gotta consider those facts.

its also facts that a ton of pieces are missing and or injured.

one step at a time boys. One step at a time.

2 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Theyre still efficient despite the touchdown output. And at home. Just saying- gotta consider those facts.

its also facts that a ton of pieces are missing and or injured.

one step at a time boys. One step at a time.

I would think an ATL blowout (which I doubt will happen) would favor the pass catching rb in the game plan?  Hopefully that's Smith.

2 hours ago, ozark said:

I want him just don’t have the stones to drop Woodhead for him. Paul Richardson maybeeee

woodhead is useless garbage.  Youre only going to be mad when he goes out in the first quarter of his first game back.

For the record I own Smith in a few leagues...

I just can't understand most of the thinking that is even going on in this thread. I picked him up as a blindfolded dart throw. Not only would I have to be really liquored up to consider starting him this week, but I don't foresee him taking over this backfield this week, or at any time during Zekes time out. That would be unless there is an injury to Alf or Dmac (I'll get to him in a second). 

Rod smith was a very part time player at Ohio state. I know people will point to who they had on the Osu roster ahead of him, but I don't understand where everyone is seeing this bell cow in the making, or even some pass catching back. He has showed pretty decent in the preseason & had his limited time in garbage vs the terrible 9ers.  Again, these are some of the reasons I picked him up to stash at the back for a week or so. 

Even with the decent stuff Rod has shown.. he has also been a gunner on special teams and lines up at fullback for Zeke. This aren't usually things you would do with a guy who you think is a potential bell cow type, or really even any type of impact guy. I get rosters are slim and some guys have to play on special teams to make sense dressing them.. but still.

I don't think the cowgirls would have kept both Alf & Dmac on the roster this season if they weren't preparing to let them fill in for this moment. I especially think Dmac in particular was being inactive to stay healthy for this time. I know how people can thing that is dumb, but I don't see another reason to keep him even after the preseason ended if that wasn't the thought process. Alf was a good complement for the 1-2 carries a game Zeke left for off his plate each week, so didn't make running Dmac out there a priority. Especially when it came to fullback/special teams.. where the guy Roddy Smith came into play. And also why I know he dressed over Dmac. They almost have to "claim" rod is the current #2 going into this week. 

Alf & Dmac have been bellcows and have both put in pro bowl numbers. I'm not saying either is still at that level, not even close. But I don't think they have fallen off enough to somehow lose this thing all together to this limited time in college, fullback, gunner. I like the guy, I honestly do.. but anyone thinking he is more valuable to have than Alf or Dmac is out there. If they all stay healthy throughout this thing, then I would be happy to come back and admit I was wrong. 

I ultimately think Dmac will have had the most touches when this mess is all said and done. Just a gut feeling, but I also think a lot of past signs can point to that as well. 

47 minutes ago, exzacly909 said:

I just can't understand most of the thinking that is even going on in this thread. I picked him up as a blindfolded dart throw. Not only would I have to be really liquored up to consider starting him this week, but I don't foresee him taking over this backfield this week, or at any time during Zekes time out. That would be unless there is an injury to Alf or Dmac (I'll get to him in a second). 

Rod smith was a very part time player at Ohio state. I know people will point to who they had on the Osu roster ahead of him, but I don't understand where everyone is seeing this bell cow in the making, or even some pass catching back. He has showed pretty decent in the preseason & had his limited time in garbage vs the terrible 9ers.  Again, these are some of the reasons I picked him up to stash at the back for a week or so. 

Even with the decent stuff Rod has shown.. he has also been a gunner on special teams and lines up at fullback for Zeke. This aren't usually things you would do with a guy who you think is a potential bell cow type, or really even any type of impact guy. I get rosters are slim and some guys have to play on special teams to make sense dressing them.. but still.

I don't think the cowgirls would have kept both Alf & Dmac on the roster this season if they weren't preparing to let them fill in for this moment. I especially think Dmac in particular was being inactive to stay healthy for this time. I know how people can thing that is dumb, but I don't see another reason to keep him even after the preseason ended if that wasn't the thought process. Alf was a good complement for the 1-2 carries a game Zeke left for off his plate each week, so didn't make running Dmac out there a priority. Especially when it came to fullback/special teams.. where the guy Roddy Smith came into play. And also why I know he dressed over Dmac. They almost have to "claim" rod is the current #2 going into this week. 

Alf & Dmac have been bellcows and have both put in pro bowl numbers. I'm not saying either is still at that level, not even close. But I don't think they have fallen off enough to somehow lose this thing all together to this limited time in college, fullback, gunner. I like the guy, I honestly do.. but anyone thinking he is more valuable to have than Alf or Dmac is out there. If they all stay healthy throughout this thing, then I would be happy to come back and admit I was wrong. 

I ultimately think Dmac will have had the most touches when this mess is all said and done. Just a gut feeling, but I also think a lot of past signs can point to that as well. 

If you dont think he has the talent to take over, why you here? Makes no sense

6 hours ago, exzacly909 said:

Yep, all that is possible. It’s also possible that Smith outplays Morris and DMC and earns the starter role It’s not like it would take a Herculean effort to be better than Morris and DMC.

so yes, playing Smith this week should only be an option if you are at the 30th ranked RBs as choices. And it’s possible he never becomes playable in FF.

But in terms of possibilities, having the potential starter for the Cowboys for free? That’s the type of thing that wins people leagues.

5 hours ago, dakimbell said:

If you dont think he has the talent to take over, why you here? Makes no sense

are you telling us when we visit a certain thread and comment we have to like that certain player? If we don't like say Derrick Henry we are not allow to comment in his thread? Makes no sense

the guy is giving his opinion that he doesn't think Rod Smith has the tools to be the cowbell in the Cowgirls lineup.

but he owns Smith on a few team .... hmmm

Edited by shakestreet