NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

CBS fantasy thinks he's a fullback, lol-

But hes not a fullback though lol thats whats so funny about this, he could be a sleeper, im starting to doubt mcfadden will even play

44 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

But hes not a fullback though lol thats whats so funny about this, he could be a sleeper, im starting to doubt mcfadden will even play

Ezekiel is suspended for 6 games, not dead.

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

Well I mean Crowells downfall is largely in part to the Browns sucking. You don’t think Crowell would have put up similar stats to Hunt if he played for KC?

Yes I agree that Crowell's bad season has a lot to do with Kizer and play calling. I'm also a life-long bitter Browns fan so excuse my anger at Crow right now. The KC system helps Hunt for sure. Crowell doesn't have the same kind of balance, patience and vision as Hunt IMO. Crowell is more a one-cut-go, power runner.

From ESPN

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4763073/cowboys-set-to-go-from-one-man-band-to-committee

Morris has eight carries for 87 yards but 70 came on one run against the Los Angeles Rams. He has three 1,000-yard seasons to his credit, but those were back in 2012-14 with the Washington Redskins. Since signing with the Cowboys as a free agent last year, he has had more than seven carries in a game just once. He is not much of a threat in the passing game.

McFadden has been inactive for the first five games, which has been a surprise because he was groomed in the summer to be Elliott’s replacement if the suspension had taken effect immediately. He was limited to three games a year ago because of a broken elbow, but in 2015 he had five 100-yard games and two games with more than 90 yards after becoming the Cowboys’ lead back six games into the season. He is most equipped, largely because of his experience, to handle multiple roles.

Smith is the wild card. He might be best suited to handle the full-time job but he has just four carries for 13 yards in his career. He has caught three passes for 28 yards. A year ago at this time, he was a fullback for the Cowboys.

Smith, who was a teammate of Elliott’s at Ohio State, runs with power, has decent speed and can catch the ball effectively. But he has never done it before.

I just have to wonder if this is the guy to add instead of Morris/Mcfadden?  He needs to be talked about.  I know it was the 49ers but this guy just produces when given the opportunity.  I feel like there was a big reason to test this guy out Sunday.

On 10/13/2017 at 12:29 PM, KareemX said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. They compared Kareem Hunt to Isaiah Crowell.

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/kareem-hunt/

That "they" you speak of is Matt Kelley, creater of PlayerProfiler. Noted Kareem Hunt detractor. He spent a good part of the year leading up to and through the fantasy draft season criticizing Kareem Hunt and Dalvin Cook.

Kelley isn't a bad analyst, he just makes some God awful takes. He's addicted to SPARQ freaks who dominated in college and broke out at a young age, that's his brand, that's his bread and butter. He ignores nuance and it often bites him in the a**. 

So no, "they" didn't compare Hunt to Crowell. Nobody save for Kelley EVER made such an inane comparison. 

He seems to pass the eye-test on the few highlights I've watched and the 8 for 61 is certainly encouraging...my only concern is that it was a super-blowout (they were up 30) and didn't even bother putting in Morris.  I say definitely worth a stash if you have the room!  He can apparently catch too.  Wonder about his pass-pro...

Was Smith the second back through?  Why wouldn't the Cowboys play Morris in anticipation of Morris starting after 10-30-2017 if Elliott's suspension is reinstated?