NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

27 minutes ago, Tax77 said:

The Dallas RB that best knows how to block is going to play next week. Dak has to win them games and he is not going to win them games laying on his back every other down. 

If Rod is truly the Cowboys pass down back, you could not ask for a better potential gamescript next week. Eagles off a bye vs the Cowboys defense with no Sean Lee. They will shred the Cowboys through the air and on the ground. Whoever is the pass formation back for DAL will have unreal PPR upside.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

Against San Francisco's pathetic defense late in the 4th quarter (likely 2nd and 3rd stringers) already up by 30.

Ok.

That's the only time Rod Smith has played before today?

Ok.

Rod is not a worse running back option than anyone else on the Cowboys. You're fooling yourself if you think Morris has a lock on this. If he did Rod wouldn't have gotten all the touches out of the gate. So what's your point? He played vs backups? Proving what? Rod Smith doesn't decide the skill level of the defense he's playing against. This situation still has a number of different ways it can go, nothing is certain.

the entire running game looks like trash after this week.  neither guy could get anything going.   i know Morris' final line looks at least decent but from watching the game you could see how bad it really was.  it really just looked like SEA out there without Zeke out there. 

A few weeks ago when everyone was touting Morris/McFadden i thought Smith was a sneaky good add but then recently when everyone was hyping him as some sort of a season savior i knew smith was doomed .. this backfield still has the look of a rbbc to me best to avoid

53 minutes ago, Beerdown said:

Who is the best pass-blocking RB in Dallas?  That's the one I want on my bench. 

Easily looked like Smith yesterday. That's who I rostering based off what I saw yesterday. Also Smith can really catch the ball.

Just now, Panthor said:

didn't he completely blow an assignment in pass pro?

I did not see it. But he was out there on almost all passing downs and seemed to do a good job from what I saw. ALF being out there on passing downs wouldn't make much sense since teams know he can't catch the ball so would put Dallas at a big disadvantage. Smith has 3 down talent at least, although I think that discovery is still a few weeks away. I'm going to be patient, or try to be at least.

28 minutes ago, rbug8 said:

I did not see it. But he was out there on almost all passing downs and seemed to do a good job from what I saw. ALF being out there on passing downs wouldn't make much sense since teams know he can't catch the ball so would put Dallas at a big disadvantage. Smith has 3 down talent at least, although I think that discovery is still a few weeks away. I'm going to be patient, or try to be at least.

And yet they gave up 8 sacks as a team and a lot of pressures. Neither did a good job in pass pro. Smith looks like the 3rd down back, but I can't say he did much to win more work than that from what I saw. 

5 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

And yet they gave up 8 sacks as a team and a lot of pressures. Neither did a good job in pass pro. Smith looks like the 3rd down back, but I can't say he did much to win more work than that from what I saw. 

That had more to do with a stubborn coaching staff refusing to make adjustments to their game plan than it did with Smith/Morris pass pro abilities.

3 hours ago, Panthor said:

the entire running game looks like trash after this week.  neither guy could get anything going.   i know Morris' final line looks at least decent but from watching the game you could see how bad it really was.  it really just looked like SEA out there without Zeke out there. 

The reason the entire offense looked like trash was because Tyron Smith was out, not because Elliot was out.

18 hours ago, Tenner said:

Bottom line. If you own Smith, you understand where he is on the pecking order. Alfred Morris did not "run" away with the job/opportunity. 

Take a look at your bench, if you see someone else on the wire with greater upside...then grab him. Otherwise, there is still upside here

Actually, Rod Smith's upside has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with who anyone has on their bench. They are completely independent variables.

Whether you have a great bench or the worst bench in all of fantasy, Rod Smith looked worse than Morris in pass protection causing Dak to get hit/sacked, he looked bad bobbling a catch that would have gone for more if he had caught it cleanly. He just plain looked bad. Plus Morris was left in on many 2nd/3rd and long situations until the game became a blowout, at which point Rod Smith got more snaps that he did nothing with.

4 catches for 15 yards? If anything, the coaches may decide to give DMC more passing down work after watching the tape.

57 minutes ago, ap0calypse said:

The reason the entire offense looked like trash was because Tyron Smith was out, not because Elliot was out.

i'd say it was both,  neither rb could create and manufacturer additional yards.

and why are you being so defensive?  don't worry the Smith lotto ticket is still in play because Morris didn't do anything either.

6 hours ago, Panthor said:

i'd say it was both,  neither rb could create and manufacturer additional yards.

and why are you being so defensive?  don't worry the Smith lotto ticket is still in play because Morris didn't do anything either.

I'm not being defensive,  I'm disagreeing that the run game was trash because Elliot was out.  I just don't think we learned much from this game except that the Cowboys's offense tanked.  Adrian Clayborn didn't set the all time Falcons sack record because Elliot was out...  The Cowboys' o-line got destroyed the entire game mostly because of their replacement left tackle getting stomped.  

That said, Rod Smith outsnapped Morris and Morris didn't look like a starting RB, so I still think there is upside.

Edited by ap0calypse
22 minutes ago, ap0calypse said:

I'm not being defensive,  I'm disagreeing that the run game was trash because Elliot was out.  I just don't think we learned much from this game except that the Cowboys's offense tanked.  Adrian Clayborn didn't set the all time Falcons sack record because Elliot was out...  The Cowboys' o-line got destroyed the entire game mostly because of their replacement left tackle getting stomped.  

That said, Rod Smith outsnapped Morris and Morris didn't look like a starting RB, so I still think there is upside.

79 gave up 7 sacks