NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, esprits4s said:

I'm done chasing this backup Dallas backfield. It's embarrassing to name the players I've ignored the last several weeks as I've rotated Smith and McFadden through my team repeatedly.

If there ever was a testament for player vs. scheme, this is it for the players' side. 

All that BS about the mighty Dallas O-line (yes, I know Smith was out).  Either Elliot is a real stud, or the Dallas coaches are so convinced he is that they are too afraid to rely on their backup RBs.

Kind of your fault for chasing 2nd and 3rd stringers with reports that Dallas were going to ride Morris.

That said Morris ran 5.4 yards a carry last night. O-line looked okay.

Wish Smith would get some of those runs. Seems like Smith got all the dive plays that went nowhere. I want to see if he has the speed to really break open those plays that Morris had, but was getting stopped from behind. He still got 7-10 yard chunks but if that's Zeke it's 15+.

Dont think I have the patience to wait on Smith, even if he is my RB4.

8 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

Kind of your fault for chasing 2nd and 3rd stringers with reports that Dallas were going to ride Morris.

That said Morris ran 5.4 yards a carry last night. O-line looked okay.

Wish Smith would get some of those runs. Seems like Smith got all the dive plays that went nowhere. I want to see if he has the speed to really break open those plays that Morris had, but was getting stopped from behind. He still got 7-10 yard chunks but if that's Zeke it's 15+.

Dont think I have the patience to wait on Smith, even if he is my RB4.

True....  In PPR, Morris didn't seem very interesting though.

Anyone have a glimmer of hope for this guy, or think his arrow will actually point up at any point? I have him in PPR , which should at least help him out over standard, but he's been awful in this format too.  Dak is in complete disarray, and Alfred is taking up most of the touches.  Plus, Rod Smith just didn't look good out there last week.  Is it time to give up the bench spot for something else more enticing, or the flavor of the week?  

11 minutes ago, kdko said:

Anyone have a glimmer of hope for this guy, or think his arrow will actually point up at any point? I have him in PPR , which should at least help him out over standard, but he's been awful in this format too.  Dak is in complete disarray, and Alfred is taking up most of the touches.  Plus, Rod Smith just didn't look good out there last week.  Is it time to give up the bench spot for something else more enticing, or the flavor of the week?  

He's an injury backup at this point.  I think Alfred has shown enough to keep the lead back for the immediate future.

anyone starting rod smith this week, after watching him block on 80% of his snaps vs the eagles, will be featured on that directv commercial "some people like pouring hot coffee on themselves" "some people like drinking expired milk" "some people like starting rod smith on their fantasy football team"

20 hours ago, herschel said:

Or not....

Haha true, true...  To be clear I wasn't advocating it was good bet but just to throw some money on the game so you can sweat it without making a risky start.  I'm not sure who you sat to start Rod Smith, but I felt like he was still a bench until we saw his snap share turn to carries and targets.  Grats if you actually started him, and pulled out a reasonable flex start.  I don't want any part of this running game going forward, until the coaching staff makes major changes across the entire offense.

6 minutes ago, esoomer said:

Anyone expecting the Cowboys to turn it around against WAS, seems like a good spot for Rod with the McFadden retirement getting all the 3rd down looks, plus he just has JAG Alf in front of him. Plays @NYG and @OAK next.

turn it around?  how so? score 12 points?

they blow on offense atm, and will be without Collins tomorrow ... toss in Sean Lee missing on D, and it's gonna be a looooong night for Dallas- that being said, those factors point to Smiff having himself a very nice ppr outing. 

will be using him over McKinnon at flex this week, and prolly will til Zeke week (or back to McK if Lat goes down)

5 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

So I missed the game last week. The box score doesn't tell me much. Can someone summarize his usage last week? I'd appreciate it. Might plug him into my ppr's 3rd flex over Darkwa 

Darkwa has a juicy matchup against OAK at home, not sure if you can bench him for Smith.  but basically the game plan has been the same, Smith is getting a ton of work in come back mode.  what i'm curious to see is if they change it a bit to either give it all to Alf or all to Rod, because what they have been doing last few games is not working and something needs to change.  so i wouldn't be surprised to see something different from the offense as a whole on Thursday night.  what that is, is going to be anyone's guess but i would lean toward Smith because he is by all accounts he is the more versatile RB and it seems like that is a skill set that fits the offenses needs more at this time.

i think there is a perception issue that smith is somehow more valuable in ppr leagues.  dallas does not and has not passed to their rbs much if at all.  even with zeke.  in zekes last 4 games before the suspension, he got 3 receptions on 7 targets total.  in the three games sine the suspension, smith has gotten 6 receptions on 8 target and alf got 1 reception on 1 target.  at best you are looking at 2-3 receptions per game for about 15 yards.  i know every bit helps, but he is far from a ppr beast.