NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

PhilaFanBoy

Odds are pretty slim, but if you have room then take the chance. Morris and McFadden will be given every opportunity to get and keep the job. 

The key thing with Smith is that he's on several special teams. Whereas Morris and McF are not. He might get some 3rd down looks and screens. He's not quite COP style but more so than the other two.

Think it's just a muddy situation. Good luck.

Edited by leebattle

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, leebattle said:

Odds are pretty slim, but if you have room then take the chance. Morris and McFadden will be given every opportunity to get and keep the job. 

The key thing with Smith is that he's on several special teams. Whereas Morris and McF are not. He might get some 3rd down looks and screens. He's not quite COP style but more so than the other two.

Think it's just a muddy situation. Good luck.

Agree with this.

I feel like it'll be Morris and McFadden most of the time with Smith maybe mixing in a tiny bit.  It will probably take an injury or some terrible play from somebody to get Smith more work.

Frankly though, I think it's a shame.  As a Cowboys fan, I really like what I've seen of Smith.  He runs hard, can catch, runs with a little pop.  He's just a spark plug type guy as opposed to Morris and McFadden who are both sort of just plodders.

I'm really rooting for Smith to see the field though and think he's the most exciting of the 3 guys. 

I bought into Smith a couple weeks back as a dart throw. I think if you look at the underlying motivations and this may draw into @tts4572's comments about his exciting play.  An opportunity like this for a UDFA to come in, make special teams, gained weight to be a FB now conditioned as a RB is quite interesting.  He was claimed off waivers which means Dallas had the intent and interest from a get-go. 

You look at his fall from grace and pedigree (top recruit out of HS, third-string RB behind Carols Hyde and Ezekiel at Ohio State) to being dismissed from the team during their the championship win.

Sounds like a humbling story to me and the metaphor of a spark to reignite his career is a possibility. I am presuming that his hunger and motivation are higher than that of DMC and his athletic explosiveness better. He has had some select plays where it passes the eye test.  Empirically speaking when compared to Morris and DMC he doesn't have the history, experience or college numbers which makes him the x factor for the Cowboys back field, but I am willing to roll this dice.

he's my #1 claim, and i'm already super deep at RB (and super thin at WR). i'd be surprised if he's not the starter by week 11. this is based on nothing but my eyeballs and my gut. he looks good, alf and dmc are old and mediocre at best, and this team is trying to win a championship and the eagles are in first place and they are also really good. the cowboys can't afford to become one dimensional. they'll lose games they shouldn't lose.

and if i'm completely wrong i only lost my waiver spot so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Anteater99

Going to be interested to see how this shakes out. Smith has really impressed in preseason and in limited work this year. He also is a very good special teams player, so i think that hurts his lead back chances unless he really shines and the other too play poorly or have an injury..

hoping jaylon smiths brother can provide a spark for the boys though, i think he has the potential to be pretty good if he gets a shot

Edited by dakimbell

Rod Smith is obviously the best RB not named Zeke in Dallas. He's the youngest, most athletic (at this point) and most versatile. Very good chance that he eventually win's some sort of starting job. Though theres a good chance this will just be a mess till Zeke comes back

1 hour ago, Jetdog16 said:

Rod Smith is obviously the best RB not named Zeke in Dallas. He's the youngest, most athletic (at this point) and most versatile. Very good chance that he eventually win's some sort of starting job. Though theres a good chance this will just be a mess till Zeke comes back

Now this I can agree with you on.

I'm a Zeke owner and took a flier on this guy. He's at least been on the roster and has come in to play during this season. Understandable if he got no burn since Zeke is a 90% snaps player.

This reminds me of the McKinnon situation. Everyone blew their load on Murray, but McKinnon was obtained for free and has crushed it ever since.

I don't know. Just trying to build a good case here.

1 hour ago, kco734 said:

I can’t see them dressing 3 running backs, he’s locked in on special teams and I can see him stealing work from whoever it is Alfred Morris or Darren McFadden

haven't they been dressing 3 RBs all year?  could have sworn to see Smith and Morris in the box score

1 hour ago, Jetdog16 said:

that's a bit of a stretch, both Morris and DMC are capable running backs.  what are you basing that Smith is the best of the bunch other than you owning him?

Is Rod Smith really the most athletic RB on the roster? Is he actually faster than McFadden and Morris?

Morris doesn't catch and is the ultimate friendzone RB.

DMC has been in a cryo chamber.

Smith is a total nobody who is apparently athletic, talented, and has had one nice play this year.

What a mess! At least with Murry vs. McKinnon we knew Mckinnon was the talented pass catching back with "fumble issues" and murray was the boring safe choice, the upside for McKinnon was more clear there in hindsight. 

Here it looks like Smith has the most breakout potential, but DMC could also turn out to be a poor man's Zeke for Dallas...

Smith is the most athletic best RB on the team - Guy who misses Morris, DMC

Morris is the best - proven bet been dressing all season, logic applied

Mcfadden is the best - he was pretty good in 2015 and the annual hype is irresistible 

Objective Analysis - They’ll all kill each other’s value 

3 minutes ago, Panthor said:

haven't they been dressing 3 RBs all year?  could have sworn to see Smith and Morris in the box score

that's a bit of a stretch, both Morris and DMC are capable running backs.  what are you basing that Smith is the best of the bunch other than you owning him?

I own McFadden + Rod Smith.

I agree, both veteran options are capable. Rod Smith is better than capable. I like Smith's tape this yr on limited touches. He is unquestionably more athletic than Alfred Morris. DMC broke into the lg highly regarded for his athleticism but that was almost a decade ago, those legs have faded. Multiple sources have said Smith is highly regarded within the organization, and fantasy buffs like Evan Silva have proclaimed his talent. 

Don't forget this team will stay committed to the run. They specifically have stated that they like Alf because he can be the guy who can be trusted to handle a Zeke-like workload, 20+ carries, workhorse, grind it out, while being careful and conservative. This is how the Cowboys will want to play. They also acknowledged that Alf's a player who does better with more volume. Something we can likely all agree on with his time in WAS.

So they would be happy with wearing a team down in the 4th quarter and a 23 carry, 82 yd, 1 TD type game from Alf. Whereas Zeke could (typically) produce much more dynamic plays in that scenario, they still like Alf to be the carry hog that he can certainly be.

I really do think Alf is the guy. DMC is COP. While Smith here is going to remain the deeper COP and special teams guy. That is unless something happens like injury, fumbles or DMC or Smith ball out in their limited opportunities.

Edited by leebattle

15 minutes ago, leebattle said:

Don't forget this team will stay committed to the run. They specifically have stated that they like Alf because he can be the guy who can be trusted to handle a Zeke-like workload, 20+ carries, workhorse, grind it out, while being careful and conservative. This is how the Cowboys will want to play. They also acknowledged that Alf's a player who does better with more volume. Something we can likely all agree on with his time in WAS.

So they would be happy with wearing a team down in the 4th quarter and a 23 carry, 82 yd, 1 TD type game from Alf. Whereas Zeke could (typically) produce much more dynamic plays in that scenario, they still like Alf to be the carry hog that he can certainly be.

I really do think Alf is the guy. DMC is COP. While Smith here is going to remain the deeper COP and special teams guy. That is unless something happens like injury, fumbles or DMC or Smith ball out in their limited opportunities.

Can you share a link with them saying this? 

Just now, Joelioli said:

Can you share a link with them saying this? 

I know it's silly to go around and make secondhand quotes. But it was stated this offseason/preseason by Garrett and in regards to the looming Zeke suspension. He acknowledged that we haven't seen the best of Alf simply because he doesn't get many carries. I looked for a minute but couldn't find. I don't own Alf, wish I did.

6 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Objective Analysis - They’ll all kill each other’s value 

Exactly this. Each will kill each other's value. As I stated in the Elliot thread, I still believe that Zeke's "handcuff" is better found on a different team as in avoid this situation all together.

10 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

Morris took all 1st team reps in today's practice. I live in Dallas.

Thread dead.