NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rod Smith 2017 Season Outlook

PhilaFanBoy

Just now, leebattle said:

I know it's silly to go around and make secondhand quotes. But it was stated this offseason/preseason by Garrett and in regards to the looming Zeke suspension. He acknowledged that we haven't seen the best of Alf simply because he doesn't get many carries. I looked for a minute but couldn't find. I don't own Alf, wish I did.

OK thanks, I was particularly wondering about the timing of the comments. 

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Dallas fan I would stay away from this backfield. You just don’t know what’s going to happen. They’ll probably use all 3 and it’ll be a guessing game every week. Also I feel they will rely on Dak’s arm a little bit more. 

It is true though, Smith has the most potential out of all 3. It may take awhile to see that though.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Canuck said:

https://www.all22.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-practice-sheds-light-rb-will-start

“In the portion of practice open to the media, McFadden took the first turns in individual drills,” Archer added, “but Morris took the first hand off from Dak Prescott.”

It's pretty clear that Jerry Jones wants to scoop up Smith in his fantasy league so he ordered Garrett to play Mcfadden and Morris during practice. 

4 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

apparently youth and false hope equate to talent and upside in rotoworld ... interesting

It's the itch that these crazy owners get when they miss out on the first and second option and have to rationalize why the third or fourth option is the better pick-up. I totally understand the idea of looking like a fantasy god by somehow picking up no one thought would do anything and he turns out to be a stud, but what's scary is that is that some people actually trick themselves into believing the unbelievable for sake of not feeling left out.

Just now, DezBryant88 said:

So if I go into the Morris thread I’m not gonna find posts about how you think he’s next the coming of Emmitt Smith.

His improvement in the passing game is EXTRAVAGANT.

you will find nothing relating Morris to Emmitt Smith - nor do i think i ever refer to anything on here as extravagant - but feel free spending an afternoon of your life trying to "burn" me. i chose to claim woodhead over any of these backs ... mcfadden made it through waivers, so i scooped him and expect mediocre PPR production until i can plug Crowell/Dion Lewis back in. have a lovely day. 

58 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

It's the itch that these crazy owners get when they miss out on the first and second option and have to rationalize why the third or fourth option is the better pick-up. I totally understand the idea of looking like a fantasy god by somehow picking up no one thought would do anything and he turns out to be a stud, but what's scary is that is that some people actually trick themselves into believing the unbelievable for sake of not feeling left out.

What the hell are you talking about? You're acting like this is some random third string scrub that people picked up because they want on the depth chart and saw another name.

There are reports from Dallas that he is the best back and teammates are impressed. Similar to what happened in Seattle. It's not just some stupid random dart throw. It's an educate lottery pick and there's nothing wrong with that. You seem like an owner that didn't miss out on the first or second option and are utterly full of your self.

26 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

What the hell are you talking about? You're acting like this is some random third string scrub that people picked up because they want on the depth chart and saw another name.

There are reports from Dallas that he is the best back and teammates are impressed. Similar to what happened in Seattle. It's not just some stupid random dart throw. It's an educate lottery pick and there's nothing wrong with that. You seem like an owner that didn't miss out on the first or second option and are utterly full of your self.

nice thought except that the 2 situations are completely different to SEA in every way

1.Carson was a rookie coming in and Smith has been around for a few years

2. Smith was cut from SEA and picked up by DAL as a rookie for depth

3. There was an opportunity in 2015 and he didn't get it then either. 

we aren't dealing with an unknown coming in as a rookie in a backfield with major question marks like in SEA.  both Morris and DMC are pretty well established running backs.  Rawls flashed 1 year and has been pretty crappy since, Lacy has been a bust, procise is good but can't stay healthy.  it was wide open for Carson to perform and step in.  that is the scenario in DAL. 

i didn't DMC or Morris, i managed to stash Smith in a league and i'm fine with that, but let's not try to compare DAL and SEA as similar to make us feel better about our chances Smith has a chance to be the man.  the situations are not the same or even close.  would love it if it works out but it is pretty much a dart throw in the dark at this point and nothing more. 

picking Carson was an educated lottery pick.  stashing Morris or DMC or both was an educated lottery pick if you had the roster spot, but Smith is a shot in the dark because he is last man standing who hasn't been picked up yet.

1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/925766719553130496

When working with the QBs, order was Morris, Smith, McFadden. 

Still on the Smith bandwagon.  In fact, I am playing him. :unsure:

80 teamer? I think Rod has a punchers chance to eventually take over for a few weeks until zeke is back, but not this week

Playing in standard and thinking of adding Rod Smith. Does anybody know if he had a history of goalline touches at Ohio State? He has the weight to do it, but at 6'3 he is a bit too lanky imo. Goalline runners should be able to get really low. McFadden has always had that issue, running too high and therefore not being a good goalline runner.

I just don't see the value with Smith in dynasty. It's clear Dallas is keeping Elliott as their feature back for a long time. He's serving a 6-game suspension. So in such a small time frame, I cannot see Smith getting passed 2 backs for the feature back position and producing enough points that I wouldn't just rather get from someone else more reliable and less risky.

This is a compeltey different situation than Carson and SEA because SEA didn't have a running back like Elliott. 

If I needed to play a Cowboy RB in my lineup right away, I’d likely go with Morris at this point. But if I’m looking at cost/upside, I’m going with Smith.

its possible that none of the Cowboys RBs end up being consistent for the next three weeks. But it’s not a pipe dream to think it could be Smith. And for free, I’ll take Smith.