NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dwight Powell 2017-2018 Season Outlook

On 2/16/2018 at 3:33 PM, chud12 said:

I am talking for the next 3 years and not this year. 

That depends on their plans for Noel. Best numbers he's put up ever in a small packet. Don't know where this is coming from, cuz he's beenon the pine like forever, but I like the outbreak now and once Dirk retires.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was anyone else relying on Powell for some last minute stocks..?

Who ? 

That hot dog guy

1 hour ago, greatestmetfan said:

How is it an AC question when he's literally asking what this players future outlook/value is lol

Title of the thread is "Dwight Powell 2017-2018 Season Outlook." chud12 is asking about seasons beyond 2017-2018 and is doing so expressly because there is a trade offer on the table. How is it not an AC question? But fine, if you want to read assistant coaching in this thread . . . 

The Mavericks expressed commitment to Powell with a generous contract back in 2016, a contract which, with the way the market has gone, they probably regret. He is their third-highest-paid player, behind Barnes and Matthews. They demonstrated that they do not see him as their starter of the future when they brought in Nerlens Noel and, for a time, started him. If Nerlens stays this summer (unlikely), then Powell will be splitting back-up minutes with Kleber and Mejri. (I'm assuming that Barnes continues to play most of the PF minutes.) If Noel takes off, the Mavs might initiate a full rebuild around Dennis Smith, this year's pick, and maybe Harry Barnes, which would mean trying to jettison some big contracts, and you would have to expect that Powell and Matthews (whom I'm guessing will opt in) would be the top candidates there. Throw in that four of the top five prospects in 2018 are forwards or centers, and Powell looks like an expendable and overpaid piece in a crowded frontcourt.

Best case, Powell gets decent minutes on a bad Mavericks team for one more year, but I don't think he will ever establish himself as a full-time starter on any squad trying to look respectable. Ergo, take whatever picks you can get for him.

8 hours ago, Meadowlark said:

Title of the thread is "Dwight Powell 2017-2018 Season Outlook." chud12 is asking about seasons beyond 2017-2018 and is doing so expressly because there is a trade offer on the table. How is it not an AC question? But fine, if you want to read assistant coaching in this thread . . . 

The Mavericks expressed commitment to Powell with a generous contract back in 2016, a contract which, with the way the market has gone, they probably regret. He is their third-highest-paid player, behind Barnes and Matthews. They demonstrated that they do not see him as their starter of the future when they brought in Nerlens Noel and, for a time, started him. If Nerlens stays this summer (unlikely), then Powell will be splitting back-up minutes with Kleber and Mejri. (I'm assuming that Barnes continues to play most of the PF minutes.) If Noel takes off, the Mavs might initiate a full rebuild around Dennis Smith, this year's pick, and maybe Harry Barnes, which would mean trying to jettison some big contracts, and you would have to expect that Powell and Matthews (whom I'm guessing will opt in) would be the top candidates there. Throw in that four of the top five prospects in 2018 are forwards or centers, and Powell looks like an expendable and overpaid piece in a crowded frontcourt.

Best case, Powell gets decent minutes on a bad Mavericks team for one more year, but I don't think he will ever establish himself as a full-time starter on any squad trying to look respectable. Ergo, take whatever picks you can get for him.

shew thank god that Kleber and Mejri are terrible lol

2 hours ago, rush007 said:

You guys think he'll get at least 25 mins ROS?

Wondering the same thing.  Now I'm kind of hoping Noel plays about as much as he did earlier in the season so he doesn't take minutes from Powell...  Last thing I want is some stupid timeshare that also includes Dirk getting C minutes.

1 minute ago, DoctorLove said:

Anybody still holding Powell?

Still?  Of course people are holding.

• Thanks 1

Powell is only worth a drop if you're accounting for maximizing playoff games next week. They play Tuesday Fri/sat which gives you an opportunity to stream Wed/Thurs which are both light schedule days. 

15 hours ago, Bugs bunny said:

Still?  Of course people are holding.

Didn't realize it was such an outlandish question considering Noel getting 15+ MPG, which seems to coincide with Powell's minutes dropping from 37 to 25 to 23 over the past few games.  Not to mention he doesn't get stocks and he has a combined 7 FG attempts over his last two games

But I'm only looking at box scores, so maybe I'm missing something? 

15 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

Didn't realize it was such an outlandish question considering Noel getting 15+ MPG, which seems to coincide with Powell's minutes dropping from 37 to 25 to 23 over the past few games.  Not to mention he doesn't get stocks and he has a combined 7 FG attempts over his last two games

But I'm only looking at box scores, so maybe I'm missing something? 

box scores show last game was a blow out and the prior game was against Chicago.  10 teamers and smaller, end of roster guys are always interchangeable for waiver guys so its not even worth discussing.  12 teamers, like above poster mentioned,  is obviously about playoffs and your own personal situation.  Anything above 12 teamers he's a solid hold for the duration.  So yes, its quite obvious people are still holding.

Edited by Bugs bunny

I'm in a 12 team roto league and I have an itchy add/drop finger, which is why I posed the question in the first place.  Just getting a little concerned that Noel is stealing some of his minutes which will cap his value and not make him worthy of burning a "game played."

3 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

box scores show last game was a blow out and the prior game was against Chicago.  

Curious (serious question; casual hoops player here) - why does the prior game being against Chicago matter?  Do they limit the effectiveness of opposing centers?  

57 minutes ago, DoctorLove said:

I'm in a 12 team roto league and I have an itchy add/drop finger, which is why I posed the question in the first place.  Just getting a little concerned that Noel is stealing some of his minutes which will cap his value and not make him worthy of burning a "game played."

Curious (serious question; casual hoops player here) - why does the prior game being against Chicago matter?  Do they limit the effectiveness of opposing centers?  

Yeah ok,  Roto I understand the itchy finger since that's a chasing stat format.   As far as Bulls game.  Bulls tend to play a lot of small ball so yes opposing bigs are often are less effective.